Media Players 103: Kodi File and Folder Organisation/Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I donated which gave me access to something called "Nightly Builds"
1523662128264.png

Guessing I should try one of these??

Attachments

• 1523662070510.png
    1523662070510.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 217
One last comment: Kodi only required tagged music files for library playback, including tagged Album cover art.

Mediaelch adds extra data and files that Kodi can display during playback and/or library browsing. It also finds a unique ID (MusicBrainz ID) to identify the correct artist (or album) for Kodi online lookups. There are quite a few artists (and albums) with similar, if not exact, names.

I’ll start a new thread this weekend to show how to add a great skin that supports the Artist Slideshow feature (automated artist images, album art, disc image and codec info during playback)

Yes. I still use it to scrape artist info which it writes to an XML text file read by Kodi, and to get fanart and album disc images and artist MusicBrainz IDs which Kodi prefers.

Hi HJ,
So I was trying to confirm that the program I am using, dBpoweramp, is using MusicBrainz ID's as it sounds like it is important. When I convert a CD dBp will show the tag items(?). MusicBrainz ID's are not any of the displayed items. That said, at the bottom of the dBp screen another window displays those same items as well as another which looks to be a MusicBrainz ID. So it appears that dBpoweramp is including MusicBrainz ID's.

I guess if it's that important maybe I should switch from dBpoweramp to Picard?? But I just bought and learned dBpoweramp and if it's including MusicBrainz ID's then there wouldn't be any need to switch...

Questions: (I realize you may not be familiar with dBpoweramp)
  1. Should I switch to Picard?
  2. Is it possible to confirm that dBPoweramp is in fact getting all the MusicBrainz info that Kodi uses?
  3. For any given album, is a MusicBrainz ID just one item or can it be more than one?
I did download Picard and check it out but ran back here to ask...:unsure:
Screen shots below...

1523745717748.png
1523745792728.png
1523745831162.png

My understanding is that Kodi uses the MusicBrainzID to fetch additional metadata to display in certain skins/views. It’s not critical like the music file tags artist, album, track, and albumartist.

The only thing I’ve seen not working correctly without MusicBrainzID was Kodi’s ArtistSlideShow for artist names that are not unique like ‘Eagles’.

If you use Mediaelch to scrape Artists you get the MusicBrainzID for the artist you choose in the nfo (XML) file as well as artist data so Kodi is good with that as it reads the nfo on loading/updating its library from your media files. Mediaelch also gets the artist thumb image used in Kodi navigation.

I’m pretty sure Tagscanner now has an online option to fetch info from MusicBrainz for any album and I’d assume the MusicBrainzID too. I’ve not tried that.

One last comment: Kodi only required tagged music files for library playback, including tagged Album cover art.

Yes, but I'm thinking I should get beyond the minimum with Kodi before implementing the NUC...:unsure:

Anyway, I need to ride the Kodi/NUC wave :)
Although I may drown in the process :ROFLMAO:

Thanks...PK

BTW: I never liked Picard, couldn’t get my head around how to use it.

DbPowerAmp. You can read the tags it creates with MediaInfo (free). Personally I use Foobar2000 to rip CDs and convert my SACD ISOs to FLAC and tag/name files in Foobar. Then Tagscanner to add album art, albumartist and comments, sometimes to auto rename to my prefer file naming.

Yes, but I'm thinking I should get beyond the minimum with Kodi before implementing the NUC...:unsure:

Anyway, I need to ride the Kodi/NUC wave :)
Although I may drown in the process :ROFLMAO:

Thanks...PK

No need to do anything but tag. Although I’d use Mediaelch to scrape artists too. You can always add MusicBrainzIDs later (if at all).

You need to start using Kodi. Don’t wait until you’ve done all your albums.

Yes same here. V 2.4.3. I just used it today, and it did what it should. Note that it wont find everything.

Did you try going into the settings and changing the specific scraper?

After I gave a donation I got access to the latest version which appears to work. Thanks

No need to do anything but tag. Although I’d use Mediaelch to scrape artists too. You can always add MusicBrainzIDs later (if at all).

You need to start using Kodi. Don’t wait until you’ve done all your albums.

OK...Yes I'm using Kodi on my desktop PC...my strategy is to learn how to rip a few CD's, DVD-A's, BD's, and SACD's...get familiar enough with Kodi to play songs from the library and configure a skin...all on my desktop...then I think I'll move on to implementing the NUC...looks like I should be able to do this with the guides you have here on QQ as well as some newb questions! It's a lot of info for me to wrap my head around all at once o_O but I'm diving in:ROFLMAO:

Hi,

I have a Kodi database question:
So I ripped a CD to a Flac file. The Flac file is embedded with a MusicBrainz ID. Then I did an Artist and Album query in Kodi. When I check the Kodi music database file only the “strMusicBrainzArtistID” tag has a value. Both the “strMusicBrainzAlbumID” tag and the “strMusicBrainzTrackID” tag are “NULL.” I was expecting all three tags to be populated. Is that correct? Any ideas? Thanks, PK

I think the only MusicBrainz ID that’s important is the ArtistID which is used for artist info and images. The ArtistSlideshow add-on that I like to use uses that when artist names are similar. Really not sure what the others are used for.

Back