HiRez Poll Megadeth - PEACE SELLS, BUT WHO'S BUYING? [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Megadeth - PEACE SELLS, BUT WHO'S BUYING?

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A release from EMI. (n):phones(y)Megadeath.jpg

Received it today. Haven't played the whole thing yet, but I'm a bit at how muddled and thin it sounds. The music is great, the mix about okay. Will give it some more spins before giving a vote.

I've only played it through once and while there are definitely some discrete guitar parts in the rears, it's mostly seemingly double stereo + ambience and the fidelity's not that great, at times the dynamics reminded me of listening to a cassette tape!

I'll have to listen to it another good two or three times before giving it a vote, too.

Yeah, this is definitely not a keeper. A real shame, since there's little metal well done in 5.1 as it is, and this one was so promising - 96/24 both DVD-Audio and DTS, decent bonus material. But the remastered CD sounds much, much better than this disc. As fredblue said, the 5.1 is more like double stereo, and all the music is buried somewhere deep in the speakers, sounding thin and never really coming out. On the plus side, I liked the design of the menus.

Yeah, this is definitely not a keeper. A real shame, since there's little metal well done in 5.1 as it is, and this one was so promising - 96/24 both DVD-Audio and DTS, decent bonus material. But the remastered CD sounds much, much better than this disc. As fredblue said, the 5.1 is more like double stereo, and all the music is buried somewhere deep in the speakers, sounding thin and never really coming out. On the plus side, I liked the design of the menus.

Lord knows there's enough music here for an adventurous mix. Why? Why? WHY?

The menus are excellent Bright Side! They're based on the latter-period Warner with the little graphical icons in the bottom right hand corner, which I always wished would become the standard but of course the format died before pretty much anything could be settled on!

It's also nice to see 16:9 on a DVDA, there really aren't too many if you flick back through all your discs!

Talking of the lack of Metal in high-res, I believe the Iron Maiden DVDA suffers a similar fate to this disc, in being poorly mixed for surround and poorly mastered, sounding thin and lacking.

I've seen it around plenty of times and I LOVE Iron Maiden (particularly Bruce Dickinson I think he is a hoot! An amazing force of nature!) but I've never had the heart to buy it, only to be so disappointed as I was here.

Maybe if I see it for $1, I'll get it! (and add it to the new QQ Anti-Shocker Log!) HA!

Lord knows there's enough music here for an adventurous mix. Why? Why? WHY?

I kept asking myself that all the way through listening, DKA.. Why!? Yet another superb album that deserved so much more..

no wonder the store had two copies still laying around looking sorry for themselves - I'd been watching them getting deeper and deeper discounted, sat there over the last year at least, maybe longer.. and finally caved in just recently and bought it!

damn shame.. :(

this is real crap... i just voted 4 for the effort.. should be a 3, because music is about an 8, ant mix and fidelity is about a 0.

Man am I dissappointed... I wantd it to sound great. Its just really bad. Dave voice is buring somewhere there... could find it anywhere... i want to cry

Gave it a 4. The menus are nice and this is a *great* album. I picked up the remastered anniversary edition awhile back and the stereo mix on that release is ten times better than it has ever sounded. On the other end of the spectrum, we have this DVD-A. It is horrific. Metal mixes are usually a dice roll to begin with, but even the mediocre ones are pleasantly interesting (see: Metallica's black album).

I'm not sure how this passed even the most basic of engineering standards' quality control protocols. The kick drum is nowhere to be found. The guitars are very hot and in your face. The vocals are buried. It's a complete mid-range holocaust. Listening to this makes my eyes water...and not in the weepy, "Wow this is amazing" kind of way... Since I began to collect 5.1 mixes of albums, I've had some disappointments - there are plenty - but this one takes the cake. What an incredible waste of an opportunity. Easily one of the 5 worst mixes I've heard.

Gave it a 4. The menus are nice and this is a *great* album. I picked up the remastered anniversary edition awhile back and the stereo mix on that release is ten times better than it has ever sounded. On the other end of the spectrum, we have this DVD-A. It is horrific. Metal mixes are usually a dice roll to begin with, but even the mediocre ones are pleasantly interesting (see: Metallica's black album).

I'm not sure how this passed even the most basic of engineering standards' quality control protocols. The kick drum is nowhere to be found. The guitars are very hot and in your face. The vocals are buried. It's a complete mid-range holocaust. Listening to this makes my eyes water...and not in the weepy, "Wow this is amazing" kind of way... Since I began to collect 5.1 mixes of albums, I've had some disappointments - there are plenty - but this one takes the cake. What an incredible waste of an opportunity. Easily one of the 5 worst mixes I've heard.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The EQ is terrible and the guitars hurt my ears. Fantastic musicianship. I would love SW to get hold of Megadeth tapes for 5.1 releases.

I just received this disk over the weekend out of curiosity. The price was cheap enough to take a chance on it.

On first listen, I agreed with everyone's comments but I had to play with the levels a bit to see if a good mix was hiding in it. I listened to the center solo and it didn't seem right. After trying to balance the levels with no success, I took a chance and tried reversing the phase on the center. After rebalancing the channels, I fired it back up and :yikes. Still a bit mid heavy, but the bass and drums are now more prominent. The vocals are also improved. The mix now seems to make sense and the drum panning around the room now sounds right. I went to the back of my AVR and verified that the center was wired correctly before I swapped it (I knew it was but wanted to be 100% sure) and it was. Now I just need to rip it and correct the center phase.

Anyone who still has this, reverse the phase on the center and give it another try. You may be pleasantly surprised by the result.

I just received this disk over the weekend out of curiosity. The price was cheap enough to take a chance on it.

On first listen, I agreed with everyone's comments but I had to play with the levels a bit to see if a good mix was hiding in it. I listened to the center solo and it didn't seem right. After trying to balance the levels with no success, I took a chance and tried reversing the phase on the center. After rebalancing the channels, I fired it back up and :yikes. Still a bit mid heavy, but the bass and drums are now more prominent. The vocals are also improved. The mix now seems to make sense and the drum panning around the room now sounds right. I went to the back of my AVR and verified that the center was wired correctly before I swapped it (I knew it was but wanted to be 100% sure) and it was. Now I just need to rip it and correct the center phase.

Anyone who still has this, reverse the phase on the center and give it another try. You may be pleasantly surprised by the result.

The treble is also a problem. The guitars are extremely bright.

How do you adjust it? I have tracks ripped and save on my laptop. This is an album I have wanted to alter.

The treble is also a problem. The guitars are extremely bright.

How do you adjust it? I have tracks ripped and save on my laptop. This is an album I have wanted to alter.

In Audacity you could try using the Equalization Effect on the channels that need it?

I have checked track 1 in Audition and the center channel does not appear to be out of phase (see below)Screenshot - Megadeath.jpg
However, if DO want to try swapping the phase, the easiest way I have found is with SoX using the 'remix' command eg:

sox.exe "Track 1.wav" "Track 1_Swapped.wav" remix 1 2 3i 4 5 6

Would invert the center channel (channel 3)

Yes I agree. I played with Wake Up Dead in audacity 'till 4am. All channels are in phase. Soloing the center, it actually sounds like you would expect it to. Dave's vocals up high and dry. I did some EQ adjustments and got rid of the heavy midrange boost. L,R,C, and LFE sounded great together, but when I added LS and RS it didn't sound very good.

Back