Mercedes-Benz Signature Sound DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

Apparently, there's a 15-track pop/rock DVD compilation that's been handed out exclusively with the new SL series equipped with a surround sound system for some time. All the sources I've found out so far are pretty convincing that there could be all-new and truly discrete surround mixes on it, however there's no mention of "5.1 (nor 7.1)", only "multichannel" and with no futher technical detail.

signaturesound_cover.gif

Anyway, check the tracklist (plus there is also 10-song classical portion of the compilation) with previously unreleased tracks marked green:

Seal “Amazing” (Seal) (P) 2007 Warner Bros. Records Inc. 3:28
Foreigner “Cold As Ice” (Gramm-Jones) (P) 1977 Atlantic Recording Corp. 3:20
Lady Gaga “Poker Face” (Lady Gaga-One) (P) 2008 Interscope Records. 3:59
Courtesy of Streamline/Kon Live/Cherrytree/Interscope Records under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.
James Blunt “You’re Beautiful” (Ghost-Blunt-Skarbek) (P) 2004 Atlantic Recording Corp. 3:32
Jason Derulo “In My Head” (Rotem-Desrouleaux-Kelly) (P) 2009 Warner Bros. Records Inc.
Nikka Costa “Chase The Thrill” (Costa-Luttrell-Ciancia-Stanley-Bingham) 5:31
(P) 2012 gofunkyourself records under licence from gofunkyourself records.
Sting “Every Breath You Take” Featuring Branford Marsalis & The Royal Philharmonic Concert 6:01
Orchestra (Sting) (P) 2010 UMG Recordings Inc. Courtesy of UMG Recordings Inc. under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.
The Doobie Brothers “Long Train Runnin’” (Tom Johnston) (P) 1973 Warner Bros. Records Inc. 3:19
Creedence Clearwater Revival “Have You Ever Seen The Rain?” 2:41
(John Fogerty) from the album “Pendulum” (FCD-4517) Courtesy of Concord Music Group, Inc.
Sheryl Crow “Everyday Is A Winding Road” (Crow-Trott-Macleod) (P) 1986 A&M Records. 4:25
Courtesy of A&M Records under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.
Fine Young Cannibals “She Drives Me Crazy” (Steele-Gift) (P) 1989 FFRR Records Ltd. 3:26
Alanis Morissette “Ironic” (Ballard-Morissette) (P) 1995 Maverick Recording Company. 3:48
Alex Max Band “Tonight” (Single Mix) (Alex Max Band (BMI)/Scott Thomas, Universal Music Corp. 4:23
(ASCAP), Universal Music – Careers) (P) 2010. The copyright for this sound recording is owned by AMB Records under exclusive licence to Capitol Music, a division of EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG, LC 00542. By courtesy of EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG.
Yes “Owner Of A Lonely Heart“ (Rabin-Anderson-Squire-Horn) (P) 1983 Atlantic Recording Corp. 4:26
Tears For Fears “Shout” (Orzabal-Stanley) (P) 1985 Mercury Records Limited. 6:36
Courtesy of Mercury Records Limited under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.

Well, I guess we need a copy of the disc first before we can come to any conclusion, but this might to become huge as there should be 20,000 copies out there. And the whole thing is worldwide, too.

Sources:
Daimler
Mix (see p. 9)
ProSound
mediaHyperium

Also, I've moved all my updated lists of surround releases to my blog: 2009/1, 2009/2, 2010/1, 2010/2, 2011, 2012

Last edited:
I'd go Gaga for a copy of that one if it is the real deal :D
Says engineer Leslie Ann Jones:
“The record companies delivered us Pro Tools sessions at high sample rates with much of the original documentation.
We would then begin to compare the source tracks to the finished version. We would go back and forth, from the control room
to the car and back, until we got something that really made a musical statement in the car.
Then Michael Romanowski brought a portable mastering setup out to Skywalker Sound studio and mastered in our control room so
that he too had access to the car for playback. We constantly sent DVD-V image files to the sound experts from Daimler´s
R&D group in Germany so they could listen and comment as well. It was hard work even given the excellent acoustic
parameters of the car, but ultimately it was a total blast!”

Let's just add that the producer Herbert Waltl has won Grammy for Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company in 2005... I guess it would take a lot of talent to bury such an opportunity:) Then again, maybe it's tailored strictly for the Benz - that remains to be heard:)

Let's just add that the producer Herbert Waltl has won Grammy for Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company in 2005... I guess it would take a lot of talent to bury such an opportunity:) Then again, maybe it's tailored strictly for the Benz - that remains to be heard:)

OH LORD WON'T YOU BUY ME A MERCEDES BENZ!!

(so i can have the DVD..!!!)

:banana:

WOW!!! Killer tracks from :

FYC
YES
Tears for Fears

I hope this becomes readily available soon....:eek:

It says the disc it made for the frontbass tuned body, 4 times 25 watts, so it must be quad?
Then after that disc, what are you supposed to put in? to achieve the special tuned bass?
and 25 watts times 4??

It says the disc it made for the frontbass tuned body, 4 times 25 watts, so it must be quad?
Then after that disc, what are you supposed to put in? to achieve the special tuned bass?
and 25 watts times 4??

hmm.. curious.. maybe this Merc doesn't have a centre channel?

a new car in 2012 factory fitted with a Quadraphonic sound system!?

things in surround-land just get wacky-er..!! (*)

(*)(SACDs from Warner, DVD-Audio's from Sony.. whatever next!? SQ-encoded vinyl makes a comeback!?)

as that Leslie Ann Jones indicates this compilation was painstakingly mixed expressly for the car, all seems a logical fit.

Two tracks do have a big question mark: Doobie Brothers and CCR.
Newly mixed for that release?
Db features the "old" dvd-a 5.1 mix, or the original quad repurposed?
And for CCR, the old"Gold"mix or a new one?

Two tracks do have a big question mark: Doobie Brothers and CCR.
Newly mixed for that release?
Db features the "old" dvd-a 5.1 mix, or the original quad repurposed?
And for CCR, the old"Gold"mix or a new one?

very good questions! I was thinking the same re: the Doobies..

If Elliot Scheiner was a member here or at least would post from time to time, if not here, then somewhere, to give us some info on his latest projects (the one's he can talk about, of course!).. then (just maaayyybe!) we might find out whether Mercedes' people are using his 5.1 mix or not.

Says engineer Leslie Ann Jones:

I don't want to spoil the party, but in the 80's I got a Stereo CD (also a collection of varios titles) made especially to meet the sound criterias of a particular car (Ford). The booklet described the mixing process as loudening soft parts to be heard better while driving, equalizing frequencies which are eaten in such small listening room and so on. Result: outside the car it sounds awful.

Markus

I don't want to spoil the party, but in the 80's I got a Stereo CD (also a collection of varios titles) made especially to meet the sound criterias of a particular car (Ford). The booklet described the mixing process as loudening soft parts to be heard better while driving, equalizing frequencies which are eaten in such small listening room and so on. Result: outside the car it sounds awful.
Markus

Does it sound familiar?
Nowadays it's called "loudness war", deliberately done for earbuds.
No wonder many CDs sounds awful on a decent stereo system.

very good questions! I was thinking the same re: the Doobies..

If Elliot Scheiner was a member here or at least would post from time to time, if not here, then somewhere, to give us some info on his latest projects (the one's he can talk about, of course!).. then (just maaayyybe!) we might find out whether Mercedes' people are using his 5.1 mix or not.

also never saw any Credence past stereo all the new sacd stuff is stereo only

Does it sound familiar?
Nowadays it's called "loudness war", deliberately done for earbuds.
No wonder many CDs sounds awful on a decent stereo system.

This one even sounded worse. Probably todays car sound systems are much better and less sound manipulation is needed. I justed wanted towarn before you all order a Mercedes to get that disk before listening to it :) This new "box set" will break any collectors shelf system :)

Markus
(In good mood while enjoying one of the new ELP)

Well, since I couldn't afford to buy a new Mercedes-Benz, I decided to bid on a copy of this dvd on ebay. I'll let you know how it sounds once it arrives. Cheers!

Back