Mesh Wifi networks anyone?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm looking into updating my wifi streaming abilities. My router is in the front of the house I cannot get the signal at the opposite end.
I thought my Motorola modem was going bad its 5 to 6 years old. So I upgraded to a new modem that dies Docsis 3.1. It is running that protocol but still no improvement for me.

I am now reading about new wifi technology the Mesh wifi 6 that works with extension cubes to cover the whole house with no dead spots

I first heard of Mesh networks with the one laptop per child program intended for third world countries which allowed a whole group of users to share one internet connection.

Annyways in my reading it appears the best reviewed brand is Eero their second generation pro line which has triband capacity as opposed to the more common and cheaper dualband.

Has anyone here installed a mesh wifi router and if so what do you reccomend?
Does triband increase data speed enough to be worth it?

Thanks

I have a very long house and one of my sons was complaining about spotty wifi until I installed an Amplifi system.
I intend to improve it with a Cat 6 cable running to a second router cube and all the Mesh repeaters (Two or three) to be in between but up in the attic.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Eero Pro too. My Xfinity gateway is not getting it done wifi-wise, so need to address it. I may have to bridge to a good router then bridge again to Eero...dunno yet. Sorry don't have experience, but simply wanted to state I'll be watching these responses too.

I don't use wi-fi for streaming my own hi-res and/or multi-channel files over a home network, jefe--although I do use it to stream video (and, for a few months, Atmos over Tidal). My 2.4GHz network always provides plenty of bandwidth, even when two or more devices in the house might be streaming at the same time. I occasionally try the 5G network (I have what's already a fairly old dual-band router) and honestly don't notice any difference.

As for coverage: I considered upgrading to a mesh network in order to get wi-fi out to a remote detached office where the signal has to go through several walls and foundations and a drop in elevation. (For years I've been using a powerline adapter, and recently even those have bumped up their speed/bandwidth capabilities.) In the end I found that a TP-Link WiFi Extender placed halfway between the router and the office was more than sufficient--and a whole lot cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCMag-Editors-Choice-Extender/dp/B010S6SG3S/
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

Agree on powerline adapters. They are great for connecting devices physically that have Ethernet jacks (game systems, smart TVs, certain streaming boxes like Roku Ultra). This allows for the non-Ethernet devices (like mobile phones and tablets) to have less competition for a WiFi signal. Some powerline adapters also provide built-in WiFi signal repeaters (boosters).

The problem with Wi-Fi mesh is the nodes need to be able to communicate with each other, so well connected nodes have good speed between nodes, but poor reception will set the speed between the hardest to reach nodes. MIMO helps but its not a panacea. Power line Ethernet can work better in some cases.

I have wired my entire house with CAT 6 Ethernet (every room has 2 ports) so get good speeds on my network, and just use Wi-Fi for the laptop I use for work, Internet radios and phones.

Thanks everyone I will continue reading.
Humprof there is a newer version of the TP link that has mesh wifi 6. However both models have some very bad reviews
Obviously this device is quicker and cheaper if it works

Duncan some years ago I had category 6 cable wired in the house but the run to the rear bedroom back of house never worked.
Might be worth another try at it then adding a splitter or a wifi extender.

Humprof there is a newer version of the TP link that has mesh wifi 6. However both models have some very bad reviews

Duncan some years ago I had category 6 cable wired in the house but the run to the rear bedroom back of house never worked.

Yeah--I see the bad reviews on Amazon. (Good reviews from the pros, though.) I remember having some problems with the setup; some things that were supposed to be automatic didn't work as advertised, and I had to download the complete manual and figure out a couple of things on my own. But I've been using it for about six months now--occasionally, not every day--with no problems.

On the overkill side, but I just upgraded to a Ubiquiti unifi network. I set up a Unifi Dream Machine (UDM) Pro as the controller, but a standard UDM will work for most. The UDMP replaces my internet router, adds camera and doorbell support, and has some amazingly advanced security settings. Using it with NEXTDNS has eliminated 90% of all the adware / spyware traffic, so webpages are loading much faster. The big advantage is that you can mix and match base stations as needed, so you aren't hogtied to a specific technology, and it gave me the ability to wire what I could, where I could. It can do wired and wireless meshing, so I'm very happy. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

The greatest improvement to your Wi-Fi is getting unnecessary traffic off of it. Having networkable AV equipment hardwired means your can reduce the wireless traffic in a huge way.

Previously everything in my house was practically wireless, but I woke up one day and realized I had 80 devices getting IP addresses! The overhead of them simply connected to the wireless network was an impact, when being in an area where neighbors have Wi-Fi or mesh systems.

typical audio streaming connection looked like this

Phone/Computer>>wireless base station>>Receiver (>> = all wireless)

now, it's mostly this...

Phone/Computer>>wireless base station to gigabit network----Receiver

I have hardwired where I have AV or computer gear, and have cat 6/6a running under the house. I also ran it vertically near the air return to cover the upstairs.

I have gigabit Ethernet. My equipment states it does 1300AC wireless. At my router I typically see a line speed of 925-950 megabit. Due to interference, I connect Wi-Fi 5 regularly at 1100 megabit (maximum theoretical), but see around 600 megabit true. In comparison, a PS5 hardwired on the network consistently gets 875 megabit when the network is quiet, so you can see the relative difference.

Some notes:

Advertised speed vs real speed- the maximum connect speed is NOT your throughput speed. Speed test your router, vs your Wi-Fi and you will see that much of the gear out there will not get you line speed. The decent gear will have better performance, but read reviews and watch YouTube videos to find out what will perform at the level you want. Do not trust the marketing! Typically, you can expect speeds 60% of advertised, if your clients support that version of Wi-Fi and the capabilities of the network.

Stagger your placement. Place base stations for usage and coverage, meaning first floor on the left of the house, third floor in the middle and first floor in the right for coverage, but also position the base stations in the rooms with the greatest usage. You want to be near your base station, not 2 rooms over for maximum performance.

Split off your networks for performance. Run a 2.4 and 5GHz at a minimum. This allows you to put slower devices on the 2.4 and faster on the 5. Having one network slows down everything. 2.4 will typically have a greater signal reach than 5, power being equal, but 2.4 will also cap out on speed.

It's better to have more base stations configured with slightly less power and allow them to fail over, room to room. In some parts of my house, I only broadcast enough power to cover the room and the adjacent one. Why? Well, I have people using a lot of webex and zoom during the day and I don't want that traffic to impact music elsewhere, or be impacted by other traffic. In essence, I want people to use that specific base station when they are there, taking the traffic off ones further away. When every base station is pegged at 100% power you can actually generate performance degradations because the client is trying to negotiate the best performance from multiple base stations, and won't let go of the existing connection unless there is one with better signal. If everything is great, there is no failover and devices are not necessarily using the closest base station. Now multiply that by 50 to 100 devices and you can see all that checking is actually generating network overhead.

Wi-Fi 6 - it improves performance supporting multiple simultaneous conversations to the base station, in 2 ways. The tech behind this is OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access) and MU-MIMO (multi user multiple in, multiple out.). OFDMA splits a channel into smaller unique slices to efficiently use the channel for smaller conversations and MU-MIMO uses multiple spatial streams for larger bandwidth like 4k, gaming, streaming. So one allows smaller conversations to happen more efficiently in a single channel and the other uses multiple streams to effectively handle large conversations by spreading them out

Some of this only gives you improvement if you have Wi-Fi 6 gear, so let's cover that. Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6 use the same channel space, so performance is achieved through greater efficiency of channel usage, with clients that can take advantage of that. I only have 6 client devices in the house that are Wi-Fi 6, so the need isn't great and with my setup I can upgrade base stations individually as I need to.

I honestly plan to skip Wi-Fi 6 and wait for Wi-Fi 6e. It uses 6 ghz channel space, without overlap, 8 channel MU-mimo, and many other additions that improve speed. Your Wi-Fi will be faster than your internet, even if you have gigabit. But the catch is... you will need new Wi-Fi 6e gear to use it!

Ok, so this probably gave you a lot more questions than answers, but hopefully it gets you thinking about what is says on the box vs what it will do in your home.

That would give you the best option, assuming your CAT6 cabling is OK, otherwise I'd re-wire it. I have friends down in Cornwall who live in a house with granite walls a few feet thick, so that is what I got them to do. They have a CAT6 cable going out of one window into the next from the router and a wi-fi extender on the other end - mind you from what I gather their kids do hog all the bandwidth anyway!

When I moved to my new house, I had 2 ethernet lines dropped into every room. I've learned over the years that you never know when you'll need an extra line. When I decided to go with JRiver in the living room, my media computer was in my office. With the second line I was able to run HDMI over TCP/IP without a lot of fuss. Even with all the wireless hype, better to be over wired than under wired. My TVs (we are a streaming family) are all part of the wired network. Wireless is for phones, laptops and a few appliances.

Last year I bought the Orbi Mesh (not the pro). I've now got a satellite with problems and they have zero free support; even if their crappy product is the issue. But, having said that, for the last year, Orbi did a great job covering my house/garage and front and back yards. Also, I had a Netgear router before this and they use the same interface, so it was a very very easy install. If I had started by paying for a support plan I probably wouldn't be as upset, but I can't even talk to anyone about it, so... At some point I'll be moving on. I was thinking possibly Ubiquiti.

You do have tried the 2.4ghz band as opposed to 5ghz? The former has a much better reach for units that are not nearby the router.

I was helping friends troubleshoot their WiFi router, because it started acting up.

While I was trying to figure it out, I noticed that every time I unplugged the router to move it, the neighbor's WiFi grabbed the devices.

They were interfering with each other.

Back