Metallica - S&M 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great show!

Original DVD set has poor surround mix, mainly ambience with vocal effects, too many in fact. I would love an ATMOS mix, shame there will be none.

Pretty cool. Looks like they did a Metallicized version of this as part of the show. Also good of Michael Tilson Thomas to participate - a lot of time they deputize these sorts of things.

I love the edition appearing in that picture including the music scores but I'll probably go for the 2CDs+BD regular edition with no merchandising items.

I love the moment with the orchestra conductor jumping while "For Whom The Bells Toll" is sounding. DTS-MA or Atmos, the only thing I hope is the mix is good enough and not only a little reverb and crowd screams.

I found this mix to be a bit disappointing. The strings of the orchestra do extend into the surround speakers so there is more than audience noise there but the mix seems to lack dynamics. On my system the kick drum and bass seem to be more prevalent and the guitars seem to be set back in the mix merging into the orchestra (except when there are just guitars playing against the orchestra). I really enjoyed the concert and it's well filmed but I know something is wrong when I keep feeling the need to switch to the stereo mix where the guitars have a bit more presence. Maybe I was just listening at too low a level but it was at the usual level that I find comfortable for other sources so I guess I will need to tinker with the individual speaker levels if I want to get a surround mix that I can really enjoy. Shame as I was really looking forward to this.

So I guess that the surround mix is not as good as the Magnetic Blu-Ray.

Ignoring the use of surround, there is a better balance between the levels of the instruments on the Quebec Blu-ray so the guitars sound more powerful. If it's of any help I also found the bass on the ATMOS version of Through The Never to be on the heavier side.

Back