Metallica self-titled album 30th anniversary box set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewall2983

The band has been dropping clips of performances from the early 90's in support of their most famous and best-selling album yet. They have put out major box sets featuring concerts, demos, live recordings, etc, etc. for their first four albums. This may be the first to include a surround mix since they did one for it in 2001, on DVD-A. I would have good reason to suspect that the set coming out this year may include a new upgrade/remaster of that surround mix, or maybe even in Dolby Atmos too. Steven Wilson hinted that he was working on a major catalog title during one of the interviews in promotion for his latest record, and it's known that he is friends with Robert Trujillo and that the director of his animated videos worked with the band for a song on their last album too. It all makes too much sense.

If they do end up reissuing the 2001 5.1 mix, I hope it's a flat transfer or more sympathetic remaster this time. I actually like that old mix from a surround perspective (though SW could certainly improve on it), but it's such a fatiguing listen. It's also a perfect example of how the DR meter can be misleading for multichannel audio: "The Unforgiven" in 5.1 overall rates as DR12, but the front channels are DR7(!) and the rears average around DR12. The stereo mix of that song on the 1991 CD was DR11, according to the database. Unfortunately, every track on the DVD-A has the front pair similarly crushed down to a measly DR6-7.

Unforgiven 5.1.jpg

The band has been dropping clips of performances from the early 90's in support of their most famous and best-selling album yet. They have put out major box sets featuring concerts, demos, live recordings, etc, etc. for their first four albums. This may be the first to include a surround mix since they did one for it in 2001, on DVD-A. I would have good reason to suspect that the set coming out this year may include a new upgrade/remaster of that surround mix, or maybe even in Dolby Atmos too. Steven Wilson hinted that he was working on a major catalog title during one of the interviews in promotion for his latest record, and it's known that he is friends with Robert Trujillo and that the director of his animated videos worked with the band for a song on their last album too. It all makes too much sense.
I’ll be pissed if the SW mystery is this album. Not that I don’t enjoy the album, even loved it in my younger days when it was released but I already have the DVD-A and dont listen to it much at all. would rather Master of Puppets if it’s gotta be a Metallica album

If they do end up reissuing the 2001 5.1 mix, I hope it's a flat transfer or more sympathetic remaster this time. I actually like that old mix from a surround perspective (though SW could certainly improve on it), but it's such a fatiguing listen. It's also a perfect example of how the DR meter can be misleading for multichannel audio: "The Unforgiven" in 5.1 overall rates as DR12, but the front channels are DR7(!) and the rears average around DR12. The stereo mix of that song on the 1991 CD was DR11, according to the database. Unfortunately, every track on the DVD-A has the front pair similarly crushed down to a measly DR6-7.

View attachment 67281
I find the album super bright, especially the snare.

Back