Metallica - Through the Never (Atmos BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salsdali

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Why isn't there a Poll of this Ascot Elite German Atmos release (Region B only) or even the Japanese Pony Canyon 7.1 DTS-HD 24/96 (Region A) release?

https://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Through-Never-Dolby-Atmos/dp/B00TFBUF0A

https://www.amazon.com/メタリカ・スルー・ザ・ネヴァー-Blu-ray/dp/B00HZGRSRU
You can use Passkey in order to remove the region protection and play it on PowerDVD to get atmos or you can rip it to an mkv and use Kodi (Nvidia Shield for example) to play it to get atmos also. Oppo's won't play it without a Region Mod.

Directed by Nimród Antal

It's the best Metallica has ever sounded, better than the Black DVD-A IMO. The content (the song selection) is also impeccable IMO as a 35 year Metallica fan.

It's a bit like Pink Floyd's The Wall movie IMO but with modern surround sound.

The film was nominated for a Grammy for Best Music Film

The film flopped at the theaters BTW but it's these two home theater blu-ray disc releases that deserve it to become renowned (become a Cult Classic IMO). I mean who leaves their home to watch a film in 7.1 DTS-HD 24/96 in a theater these days, no one, they listen at home on their bitchin' system.

What I'm sayin is that when this film was released in 2013 most people didn't have Atmos systems at home to really appreciate this release and just kind of ignored it because they could only listen to it in 5.1 (not to mention the official US release of this disc was only in 5.1). It's not until now that us that have atmos in their home theater can really appreciate it for what it is. IOW, this release was really ahead of it's time.

I watched the accompanying supplements which goes into depth on the production and a ton of time and money was spent on producing this release by some of the best in the business.

This is one of the best live Blu-rays ever if you have a system capable of playing it.

You'll never hear an Orion soundcheck sound better the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I have the movie but it is ages ago since i watched it.
And as i can enjoy Atmos now this will be an interesting movie to see.
I remember being impressed by the sound but at the same time i would have enjoyed it more if i could just see the concert uncut

Why isn't there a Poll of this Ascot Elite German Atmos release (Region B only)

This is one of the best live Blu-rays ever if you have a system capable of playing it.

I feel a bit sorry for anyone who has never gotten to experience this.

You'll never hear an Orion soundcheck sound better the rest of your life.

I bought this title (for the ATMOS) only to find I can't play it on my Oppo. So it just sits on the shelf, most likely never to be heard.

Thanks for the advice. I have the movie but it is ages ago since i watched it.
And as i can enjoy Atmos now this will be an interesting movie to see.
I remember being impressed by the sound but at the same time i would have enjoyed it more if i could just see the concert uncut

I am answering my own post.
Apparently i have an 2disc Bluray version with 3D and 2D but not with Dolby Atmos.
Even if i see that PmikeK says that the Dolby Atmos track was dissapointing i got so curious that i bought an copytoday of the film on Ebay for an acceptable price.
I just have to hear for myself how it sounds with Dolby Atmos.
In my version i get the Atmos speakers to work when playing the Dolby Digital track.
I´ll see if i hear any difference with Dolby Atmos.
I have wondered about that issue when playing other discs.
Suddenly i have started using the Dolby track instead of DTS just because i get the Atmos speakers to work through that.
In most cases this sounds better to me now on my system.

I finally got around to listening to the German Atmos and I couldn’t be happier. Great mix, both the music and the movie effects. Ripping the disc to mkv removed the region coding, it really was very easy. Don’t hesitate to purchase this.

I’m reopening this old thread, but while I was listening to the German version (Dolby Atmos) I noticed now for the first time how loud the drums' kicks are mixed. Did any of you have the same experience? Or do I need to recalibrate my system? 😂

I finally got around to listening to the German Atmos and I couldn’t be happier. Great mix, both the music and the movie effects. Ripping the disc to mkv removed the region coding, it really was very easy. Don’t hesitate to purchase this.
That is very interesting. I did not know that. I have the US playable version. I always wanted the Atmos version. Super great video.
Looks like I will now order and rip.
Thanks for the tip.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEDUF1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, good news, bad news.
I purchased the German Two Disc Amazon but was not the Dolby Atmos version, I thought it was right.
The good news, I put in my Blu Ray disc player and did not play, I expected that. I then ripped with MakeMKV and played via my JRiver player, HDMI out and video and audio played perfectly in HDMster with (NeuralX faux height speakers).
The bad news, I want the German Dolby Atmos version, so again I purchased this CORRECT ATMOS VERSION? I HOPE.

This is exactly what I got, but you need the one below (bottom picture) with the German outside slip cover. So complicated.
71rEeQaCmDL._SX522_.jpg

81I+PtHITzL._SY679_.jpg

Well, good news, bad news.
I purchased the German Two Disc Amazon but was not the Dolby Atmos version, I thought it was right.
The good news, I put in my Blu Ray disc player and did not play, I expected that. I then ripped with MakeMKV and played via my JRiver player, HDMI out and video and audio played perfectly in HDMster with (NeuralX faux height speakers).
The bad news, I want the German Dolby Atmos version, so again I purchased this CORRECT ATMOS VERSION? I HOPE.

This is exactly what I got, but you need the one below (bottom picture) with the German outside slip cover. So complicated.
View attachment 93504
View attachment 93505
AFAIK, the German Dolby Atmos only has one audio track. The only part which plays as DTS-MA is the top menu.

I see your edition contains a 2D and a 3D version. Have you tried both?

Also regarding your other problem, the blu-ray is sadly region locked…

AFAIK, the German Dolby Atmos only has one audio track. The only part which plays as DTS-MA is the top menu.

I see your edition contains a 2D and a 3D version. Have you tried both?

Also regarding your other problem, the blu-ray is sadly region locked…
I ripped the version I have, the 3D disc and no TRU HD (Atmos) on it either. The proper Atmos disc is on the way.

My journey to find the ATMOS version has now ended. I think it took about 5 years, but thanks to post #10 I now have it.
It took, three orders, two returns, but I got it.
If you want to get the ATMOS you must order AMAZON US THIS VERSION
Then I ripped into a single MKV file, paly via my JRiver player and like magic, finally the ATMOS version, cool man.
81I+PtHITzL._SY679_.jpg

My journey to find the ATMOS version has now ended. I think it took about 5 years, but thanks to post #10 I now have it.
It took, three orders, two returns, but I got it.
If you want to get the ATMOS you must order AMAZON US THIS VERSION
Then I ripped into a single MKV file, paly via my JRiver player and like magic, finally the ATMOS version, cool man.
View attachment 94185

Was it worth the trouble for you ?

Oh yes, I am a big audio enthusiast so I always love when I am able to get past a problem that I incur.
That said the German Atmos of this version is far superior to the US 5.1 version.
Super big sound.
Big sound indeed. I don't have the US version or Atmos, but the Atmos mix does sound fantastic in 5.1. Probably my favorite concert disc of their's.

Back