MFSL Woodstock LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately when I think of MFSL I conjure up the image of the landfill with the boxes and boxes of the MFSL Woodstock LP being buried with the bulldozer. Anyone still have that image?
Yes, I seem to recall seeing a photo of that.
I believe it was because their licensing agreement was up.

Yes, the license was up and they were unsold, so they had to destroy all remaining copies. There was a photo of all of these dumped into a landfill and a large bulldozer was covering them up with dirt. (It was before recycling was a big deal) :)

I searched for that photo as well and can not find it, but it's out there!

Yes, the license was up and they were unsold, so they had to destroy all remaining copies. There was a photo of all of these dumped into a landfill and a large bulldozer was covering them up with dirt. (It was before recycling was a big deal) :)

I searched for that photo as well and can not find it, but it's out there!

Gives new creedence to the term VINYL JUNKIE! o_O

Jon,
I think this is the image of the MFSL Woodstock LPs being destroyed:

mobile_dump.gif

Last edited:
Total waste. Why not donate them to local and/or school libraries?

Seems a few of the MFSL's Woodstock 4CD Sets survived: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodstock-...RARE-Sealed-1969-all-over-again-/273768901670

Small wonder that all MoFi LPs and SACDs are now manufactured in VERY limited quantities.
Yes, a complete waste. The MFSL Woodstock was a 5-lp boxed set at a very high price. Long after the fact, I got one from someone who worked for MFSL. Never played it but sold it for hundreds $$. I think a lot of people 'pilfered' them. I also understand some UHQR boxed sets were destroyed. .
Part of the reason why original mfsl went under....

When the licensing agreement ends (typically based on the number of copies sold or the length of agreement - often 3 years), the sales of the reissues must end.
That's part of the agreement.

Seeing that kind of waste pisses me off! That's too much effort to just piss away because someone decided to engage in business shenanigans. Want to never be considered professional or taken seriously ever again? That will do it!

MFSL really missed the mark though on this one, honestly. These recordings don't exactly call for audiophile treatment. (I might personally think EVERY recording calls for audiophile treatment but...) Between that and the target fan base for these, the expensive audiophile set feels like a stretch. Hindsight would agree it seems. MFSL went after curious titles sometimes. Sometimes it was popularity where again, the target audience is not audiophile listeners. Then their 2nd and 3rd generation pressings went down in quality a bit. Then they switched to those gold CDs with really clueless mastering. Substandard to the common copies across the board. Then someone tried to start them up again with the 4th gen vinyl pressings and then SACDs. All featuring LOUD mastering. MFSL slowly committed suicide. Their first pressings are only rivaled by 24 bit HD flat transfer masters and even then sometimes it's a mastering shootout and the vinyl still wins.

I have the 4 CD set, which I bought as a new release. Fidelity was far from great, though not the worst I've ever heard.

Sanyo, who pressed the CD's for MoFi and/or MoFi itself really screwed up the index points. There are index points for the crowd & announcements as tracks. But the labels/packaging don't take these into consideration. So, the track #'s don't correspond to the tracks themselves.

Say No to Sanyo.

I have the 4CD set. 1st CD box set ever released.

It's kind of amazing they pulled ANY recordings out of that hot mess! I think a lot of leeway should be given considering and there was some great energy captured. Odd choice for an "audiophile release" none the less. Like the Hendrix recording everyone revers is pretty much fully missing 3 of the musicians in the band!
There are some fan made collections available where the very best sounding sources are curated and shared. It gets updated if a new better source comes up. Some of it is audience recording based for the commercially unavailable bits. That project sounds like a labor of love itself.

I have the 4 CD set, which I bought as a new release. Fidelity was far from great, though not the worst I've ever heard.

Sanyo, who pressed the CD's for MoFi and/or MoFi itself really screwed up the index points. There are index points for the crowd & announcements as tracks. But the labels/packaging don't take these into consideration. So, the track #'s don't correspond to the tracks themselves.

Say No to Sanyo.
I made a handwritten insert showing all the correct times and track #s.

I had a promo MFSL LP set given to me years ago and never played it because I didn't believe that it's recording quality deserved the 'audiophile' treatment.
I sold it about a year ago for a LOT of money to some guy who almost jumped out of his skin trying to find one. I really am a humanitarian at heart. :ROFLMAO:

Back