Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I wouldn't go THAT far, Jack ..... but I do wish they'd catch up with the times and consider either SACD or BD~A and dispense with those patently 90's codecs!
Maybe not!
SACD/DSD is based on older techniques, Noise shaping and Delta-Sigma Modulation, with the former proposed by Cutler in 1954 the latter by Inose & Yasuda in 1962! 🤓
DSD is a cheap and very digital way to get higher resolutions by massively over-sampling (modulating!), so easy to manufacture on Silicon. 🤪

Maybe not!
SACD/DSD is based on older techniques, Noise shaping and Delta-Sigma Modulation, with the former proposed by Cutler in 1954 the latter by Inose & Yasuda in 1962! 🤓
DSD is a cheap and very digital way to get higher resolutions by massively over-sampling (modulating!), so easy to manufacture on Silicon. 🤪

SOMEONE'S been reading their Audio Bible! True, Dunc, but not to get into the pros and cons of PCM vs. DSD, I'd still much prefer LOSSLESS SACD over lossy DVD~V DD/DTS.

If you can find fault with any of Dutton~Vocalion/Epoch SACDs now's the time to Spill........

And why do I know THIS: My King James Version of the Audio Bible TELLS ME SO!

SOMEONE'S been reading their Audio Bible! True, Dunc, but not to get into the pros and cons of PCM vs. DSD, I'd still much prefer LOSSLESS SACD over lossy DVD~V DD/DTS.

If you can find fault with any of Dutton~Vocalion/Epoch SACDs now's the time to Spill........

And why do I know THIS: My King James Version of the Audio Bible TELLS ME SO!
It was an IEEE 'bible', Oversampling Delta-Sigma Convertors - Theory, Design & Simulation .......... a good soporific!

It was an IEEE 'bible', Oversampling Delta-Sigma Convertors - Theory, Design & Simulation .......... a good soporific!

R.e9e804bae2bcd9c0e21804910f071157

OH, THAT OLD 'SOPORIFIC' TOME!

Properly dithered (possibly packed as is Dolby TrueHD) at least 20bit/58kHz PCM is all that's needed for complete transparency (according to a Meridian Audio research paper).

I know nothing about the mastering/manufacturing costs of dual layer SACD/CDs vs. (region free) Blu-rays, is Blu-ray mastering/manufacturing a lot more expensive than SACD?

Kirk Bayne

Yes, it is.
Which is hilarious to say the least.

Considering the hefty storage space of a BD~A disc compared to hybrid SACD, not surprised. A real shame that almost ALL single album BD~As

contain a sh*tload of unused storage capacity. I was really hoping when Universal announced their BD~A launch they'd release oodles of box sets in 96/24 resolution [stereo] on a single BD~A but that never transpired. IMO, it might've piqued an interest in BD~A but they, like all other major music labels, continue to release box sets on individual RBCDs in 44.1/16!

So much for forward thinking!

Considering the hefty storage space of a BD~A disc compared to hybrid SACD, not surprised. A real shame that almost ALL single album BD~As

contain a sh*tload of unused storage capacity. I was really hoping when Universal announced their BD~A launch they'd release oodles of box sets in 96/24 resolution [stereo] on a single BD~A but that never transpired. IMO, it might've piqued an interest in BD~A but they, like all other major music labels, continue to release box sets on individual RBCDs in 44.1/16!

So much for forward thinking!
Time to play the guessing game of how many hours of 7.1 audio can fit on a bluray at 24/96 LCPM!
The answer is 3 hours on a single layer disc when you're wasting as much space as possible.

Back