Michael Dutton's Gear List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a post that discusses or lists the Warlock of Watford's mastering/ playback gear?

Does he do the transfer of the tapes or is it done somewhere else ? (I'm guessing the latter..)
What gear does he use... speakers, software, outboard apparati...???

First and foremost, Kap, it's the Wizard of Watford. Warlocks are evil.o_O https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ac/12/fe/ac12fed16716706c946e41977a202750--wow-warlock-destro.jpg

I believe it was bmoura who stated that original master tapes are no longer utilized due to their fragility but then again, Michael Dutton does state on all his QUAD SACD masters that they were mastered from the original analogue master tapes so perhaps SONY does entrust him with the QUAD master tapes.

I did pose this question awhile back since D~V's SACDs sound so darn great!

Perhaps steelydave could enlighten us as to the duplication chain utilized by D~V.

First and foremost, Kap, it's the Wizard of Watford. Warlocks are evil.o_O..

I did pose this question awhile back since D~V's SACDs sound so darn great!
Tomato.. tomahto... the Wizard of Oz is not trustworthy...
.. yeah I remember you posting this question...
Maybe Mr Dutton should have his own section here...

Tomato.. tomahto... the Wizard of Oz is not trustworthy...
.. yeah I remember you posting this question...
Maybe Mr Dutton should have his own section here...

But, Kap, despite all odds, Dorothy did make it back to Kansas! Even though the fictitious Wizard was a charlatan he did give Dorothy and her crew the courage to believe in themselves!

I do wish Michael Dutton, himself, WOULD chime in and fill us in with his marvelous mastering process. But methinks he's too busy these days readying the next batch of goodies for a September release.

And whether its tomato or 'tomahto' the only way to get a decent one today is to grow them yourselves by fertilizing the soil with eggshells and coffee grinds! Mm Mm GOOD!

Last edited:
Is there a post that discusses or lists the Warlock of Watford's mastering/ playback gear?

Does he do the transfer of the tapes or is it done somewhere else ? (I'm guessing the latter..)
What gear does he use... speakers, software, outboard apparati...???

at last I can finally reveal DV's top secret Quad restoration process in 7 easy steps;

1.) Preparation is a must to keep those precious tapes clean!

Pz0lmaz.jpeg

2.) Some editing may be required to remove those bits of tape that accidentally have stereo on them

aGRE3XU.jpeg

3.) Some tapes require baking before they can be played

4b2llxB.jpeg

4.) Some tapes sound soft nowadays, they need EQing

i7GLCDf.jpeg

5.) Other tapes may have more persistent problems that require more intensive restoration

W81fc8x.jpeg

6.) Tape monitoring as you go is a must

fltgKUw.jpeg

7.) finally, every top engineer has their own special secret ingredient to extract true magic from the tapes

FVnJu0h.jpeg

Cheers! (y)

at last I can finally reveal DV's top secret Quad restoration process in 7 easy steps;

Pz0lmaz.jpeg

2.) Some editing may be required to remove those bits of tape that accidentally have stereo on them

aGRE3XU.jpeg

4b2llxB.jpeg

i7GLCDf.jpeg

5.) Other tapes may have more persistent problems that require more intensive restoration

W81fc8x.jpeg

fltgKUw.jpeg

7.) finally, every top engineer has their own special secret ingredient to extract true magic from the tapes

FVnJu0h.jpeg

Cheers! (y)

EXCELLENT, ADAM, but Creme de Menthe?:ROFLMAO:insipidly sweet and SO bourgeois, cherie!

Last edited:
EXCELLENT, ADAM, but Creme de Menthe?:ROFLMAO:insipidly sweet and SO bourgeois, cherie!

i'll have you know, Ralphie, its a great delicacy in Watfordshire, always found gracing the ambassadors' table alongside the Ferrero Rocher and as efficacious as gold plated scart leads and HD DVD boot disc polish! :ROFLMAO:

l6h9FVD.jpeg

"mmm.. with these Surround SACDs, Mr. Dutton, you are really spoiling us..!!"

Last edited:

Pz0lmaz.jpeg

aGRE3XU.jpeg

4b2llxB.jpeg

i7GLCDf.jpeg

W81fc8x.jpeg

fltgKUw.jpeg

FVnJu0h.jpeg

Cheers! (y)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wow! That's the Gideon Bible of sound restoration right there!!

"mmm.. with these Surround SACDs, Mr. Dutton, you are really spoiling us..!!"

They certainly are 'excellente'! Whatever technique they use I've always found the fidelity superb.

And Mr Dutton could probably do a better job on the dubbing for those ad's! I wonder if there's a room dedicated to the beta testing stage at the ambassador's reception? Gulp!

Back