Michael McDonald Tribute Concert DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was browsing Best Buy and saw this DVD. It has a DTS 5.1 track, and special guest appearances by Patti Labelle, Christopher Cross, Kenny Loggins, James Imgrahm, the Doobies and others that I am forgetting. Sounded good, so I got it.

WRONG!

Holy smokes. It is well intentioned, but geez, everyone is getting so old, and only James Ingrahm can hit the high notes. It is a sad experience, one to be avoided.

Damn, getting old sucks! :|

:-jon

Figured it would be a dud, bought it anyway.

I think the record companies know we're so desparate for surround mixes of favorites that we'll take any bone they throw us. That's why they keep releasing more and more of these worthless "live" reunion concerts. Incredibly, Sony is one of the biggest culprits with their endless parade of recycled "concerts" on SACD (Springsteen, VH1 Divas, EWF, . . .)

Seriously, does anybody but the record companies care about live discs? Even if anyone did for some reason want to relive mediocre performances by washed-up artists with rough sound quality, is this really what 5.1 surround sound is about? Not to me. SS's full capability emerges only in the studio, where in the hands of good producers, engineers, and artists, can be used to expand the possibilities of recorded sound.

Back