Mike Oldfield Ammarok in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
After a disapointing release of Incantations (Mike says the master tapes couldn't be found were damaged so couldn't do a 5.1 mix) in a current interview at http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/...nctively-go-the-other-dis-meets-mike-oldfield he talks of a 5.1 mix of North Star from Platimum (a Phillip Glass track) and his next big project will be a 5.1 of Ammarok if he can get the tapes (which I'm really looking forward to already !)

If you can't be botherd to read the full article the 5.1 bit is here:

So far you have reissued your first three LPs Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. And now we’ve got number four Incantations; Will the series continue through the rest of the albums over your whole career?

We’ve just done Incantations from what was available, because at least half the tapes went missing. In the early days there was no contractual requirement to even keep the master tapes. I just happened to keep the masters for some of the albums. With Incantations some of it was there, while other bits were scattered on different reels of tapes. I’ve been working on a mix of ‘North Star’, a track from Platinum that is sounding good. Haven’t got QE2, haven’t got any of the later albums yet. My big project will be the complete 5.1 of Amarok, providing we’ve got the Multi-Track tapes, because that’s one of my favourites.

The dynamic range on this album is great. If this came out in hi-rez it would be awesone..... pity its probably going to be dullby only.

QE2 got a right kicking when it came out but I liked it then and I like it now (it was also the first album I bought as a student all those years ago)

"providing we’ve got the Multi-Track tapes,"

I will *not* get my hopes up for this. That's such a big "if". But it would be awesome.

J. D.

Oh Goody goody!!
Great News. AMAROK what an amazing album and still ahead of it's time. Would sound great in 5.1 . Can't wait......don't forget your toothbrush and I wonder if Mike will change the Hidden Morse Code to something else!!!
Duncan:banana:

Hi guys,
Well I finally succumbed and bought the Deluxe set of Incantations. After all the slating I gave the sampler CD album available, I am very surprised!! So much, I have already eaten my hat and am about to start tucking into a giant humble pie!!:eek:

The bonus DVD did it for me. I am now hooked on Northumbrian and of course that Piano Improvisation. Carefully woven piano piece featuring platinum/north star/the path/. Parts of it sound identical to the rare Arts Council Video Reflection Soundtrack which Mike wrote the music for. Absolutely wonderful music.

Sorry to be rambling about tracks and not quadraphonics, but man I under estimated this one !!
Duncan The Brit

Back