Mike Oldfield Crises 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Visiting a friend yesterday i had the luck to see he had the deluxe boxset for Crises, with the 5.1 dvd.
Had a listen yesterday in his house and today on mine, and... got a some WTF moments.

The title track goes ok for the most part, the BIG problems are on the former Side 2.

Moonlight Shadow: extra parts, extra intro, extra outro, something missing, but... it lacks punch, some sound textures are missing in action. It doesn't sound like a potential hit single at all. What went wrong?
In High Places: always skipped that
Foreign Affair: here again with extra sounds not presents on the stereo version, but less distracting. Lacks a bit of punch here too...
Taurus 3: ok enough
Shadow On The Wall: same situation as MS. Depressing.

Don't know what went wrong when MO mixed that, but i do really prefer a upmix someone else did at least 10 years ago.

Love this album, the original stereo mix is great. Was really looking forward to this box set and bought it on the day of release.

I think the 5.1 is a total abomination....and side one is just as bad as side two. Starts out ok but the wonderful section right after the 'watcher and the tower' vocal is utterly ruined. Shame...

I may sell my box set as it gets no play.

R E Faust

Well, I guess I'm in the minority, but I remember really enjoying this surround mix (but I had never heard the stereo mix prior to hearing the surround)... guess I'll have to go back and listen again...

Love this album, the original stereo mix is great. Was really looking forward to this box set and bought it on the day of release.
I think the 5.1 is a total abomination....and side one is just as bad as side two. Starts out ok but the wonderful section right after the 'watcher and the tower' vocal is utterly ruined. Shame...

I've noticed myself the variations on the side1, but these are not so striking as MS/SOTW.
At least i hasn't been the only one to have these WTF moments...

I may sell my box set as it gets no play.

R E Faust

Sent you a PM about potentially buying your copy.

:)

Visiting a friend yesterday i had the luck to see he had the deluxe boxset for Crises, with the 5.1 dvd.
Had a listen yesterday in his house and today on mine, and... got a some WTF moments.

The title track goes ok for the most part, the BIG problems are on the former Side 2.

Moonlight Shadow: extra parts, extra intro, extra outro, something missing, but... it lacks punch, some sound textures are missing in action. It doesn't sound like a potential hit single at all. What went wrong?
In High Places: always skipped that
Foreign Affair: here again with extra sounds not presents on the stereo version, but less distracting. Lacks a bit of punch here too...
Taurus 3: ok enough
Shadow On The Wall: same situation as MS. Depressing.

Don't know what went wrong when MO mixed that, but i do really prefer a upmix someone else did at least 10 years ago.

Hi,

did you listen to the DD 5.1 or the DTS 5.1 versions? I have ripped the 5.1 DTS tracks to FLAC and to me all songs sound alright.

Cheers,
Andreas

crises.jpg

where can I buy all the box sets?

The OOP Crises deluxe box set is available used on discogs for about 175 Dollars.
https://www.discogs.com/de/Mike-Oldfield-Crises/release/4874207
The other albums' 5.1 mixes are easier to obtain, because they came in 2-disc sets. I think all the other studio albums from debut to Discovery came in such packages, but Incantations and Discovery only had a few of the tracks in 5.1, not all of them. Should all still be on Amazon.

The OOP Crises deluxe box set is available used on discogs for about 175 Dollars.
https://www.discogs.com/de/Mike-Oldfield-Crises/release/4874207
The other albums' 5.1 mixes are easier to obtain, because they came in 2-disc sets. I think all the other studio albums from debut to Discovery came in such packages, but Incantations and Discovery only had a few of the tracks in 5.1, not all of them. Should all still be on Amazon.
not on amazon uk, checked already. Will check Germany.

I think Mike approaches the remixes in a similar way to how Frank Zappa did, its their music , a new medium to work with and it is a chance to re-arrange and present their material in a different way , the original mixes will always be available after all for purists. It is not to everybody's taste but they are the composers after all. I like the Crises remix overall and love the fact that the composer takes the trouble to be involved.

Yes but this makes the Mike Oldfield stuff a complete re-arrangement not just a re-mix, which just happens to be in 5.1. If you want the original arrangement in a new surround mix (which is what I'd like) you're out of luck. I've heard Tubular Bells 5.1 and my reaction was "what was he thinking?". Fortunately I have the quad SACD.

Back