Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells deluxe edition with original recording in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Guys,

Mercury have published a press release documenting the new release of Tubular Bells.
Looks like mike has done a 5.1 of the original, also the thread I got the info says that all his previous stuff upuntil Crisis will be releases this year. Lets hope he's done the 5.1 work on this stuff. No mention of the format of the release (i.e. SACD, DVD-A) but it's exciting news any way (to nme at least !)
Universal press release

Tubular Bells
Release date: 8th June 2009

Mike Oldfield is an artist like no other. Over the last 37 years he has produced timeless, unique and inspirational music that has enthralled listeners the world over. Fans old and new can celebrate the great man’s work with a special release of his classic, multiplatinum selling album Tubular Bells, out on 8th June through the Mercury Music Group/Universal Music Catalogue. This is the first classic album to be released from Oldfield’s back catalogue, which was transferred from Virgin to Mercury/Universal in 2008. It is 35 years since the opening passage was used in the film THE EXORCIST, making the album a global phenomenon.

This exciting new version of his 1973 groundbreaking album will not only be repackaged, but Mike himself has also remastered the tracks from his home in the Bahamas. There will be FOUR physical editions of the album, as well as TWO digital versions. All versions will carry a new 2009 stereo mix of the album. The DELUXE EDITION has a 5.1 mix, while the boxed ULTIMATE EDITION, complete with 60 page hardback book with a foreword by Mike Oldfield, poster, plectrums and all manner of Tubular delights, contains all of this as well as previously unheard demo and rough mixes of this epochal recording. There will 500 of these superb, limited editions available through www.mikeoldfield.com signed and numbered. For those who like things old school, there is a vinyl version being released as part of the acclaimed Back To Black series.

There will also be a double-disc edition of the album with a bonus disc of Oldfield’s biggest hits between 1974 and 1983. This edition will be extensively advertised on TV.

To celebrate the release, on June 6th at 6pm (6.6.6pm) a worldwide bell ringing event will take place. Bells will be rung in Milan (MTV), Berlin (at Siegessaule, the location were Mike performed the legendary millennium bell concert on New Years Eve Y2K), Brussells (Atomium), Paris (the George Pompidou centre), Sydney (Opera House), Japan/Narita (at one of the traditional Japanese Temples) and finally London, where bells will be rung on at famous landmarks. Footage will then be shown on Mike’s website.

Tubular Bells will be available on the following formats:

TUBULAR BELLS / THE MIKE OLDFIELD COLLECTION

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (new stereo mix by Mike Oldfield, Bahamas, March 2009)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (new stereo mix by Mike Oldfield, Bahamas, March 2009)
MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE
SAILOR’S HORNPIPE (Vivian Stanshall version)

DISC TWO: THE MIKE OLDFIELD COLLECTION 1974-1983

In Dulci Jubilo
Ommadawn (excerpt)
Portsmouth
William Tell Overture
Incantations Part Four (excerpt)
Guilty (long version)
Blue Peter
Five Miles Out
Taurus II (excerpt)
Wonderful Land
Family Man
Shadow on the Wall
Moonlight Shadow
Foreign Affair

TUBULAR BELLS DELUXE EDITION 2CD and 1DVD

DISC ONE CD

MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE

DISC TWO CD

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (original stereo mix May 1973)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (original stereo mix May 1973)

DVD
AUDIO:
TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (5.1 Surround mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)

VISUAL:
BBC TV 2ND HOUSE - 3RD DECEMBER 1973

TUBULAR BELLS THE ULTIMATE EDITION

Complete with 60-page hardback book, plectrums, poster, facsimile of Manor Studios recording brochure, gig ticket, postcard, recording information

DISC ONE CD

MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE

DISC TWO CD

DVD
AUDIO

TUBULAR BELLS PART ONE (5.1 Surround mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
TUBULAR BELLS PART TWO (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)
MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE (5.1 Surround Mix by Mike Oldfield Bahamas 2009)

VISUAL
BBC TV 2ND HOUSE - 3RD DECEMBER 1973

VINYL

BONUS CD

TUBULAR BELLS (1971 demos)
TUBULAR BELLS (Scrapped first mix Spring 1973)

TUBULAR BELLS VINYL EDITION
This will be part of the Back to Black series. Download will be available from Back To Black site

TUBULAR BELLS DIGITAL EDITION

MIKE OLDFIELD’S SINGLE

TUBULAR BELLS (1971 demos)
TUBULAR BELLS (Scrapped first mix Spring 1973)

Followed by
There will be a Hergest Ridge reissue - all of Mike's albums, up to and including Crises, are scheduled for the first block of re-releases (the others, up to and including Heaven's Open, are coming later). I've not seen any indication of a time scale for that, but it ought to be soon, as EMI seem to be running down stocks of their editions (and that is the alternative to yet another re-release - just let the stocks run down and take Mike's music off the shelves entirely).
The original post is at http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=41&t=8990&st=0&&#entry107830

Grrrrr... I guess. How many times will I buy this album? Well, one more it seems, because it's one of my favorites of all time. I just hope the limited edition doesn't cost $1000.

J. D.

I know many things have gotten 2 surround mixes, but is this going to be the first album to get 3 different surround mixes?

I was born a skeptic, so I'll believe all this when I hear it. It IS known, however, that Oldfield was never satisfied with the quad mix he did make back in the day, so maybe it is possible he has gone back to make it 'better.' Or he's screwed around with it and futzed it up totally, which is just as likely. His work, though, we shall see.....

ED :)

Speaking of different surround mixes I think Machine Head has three as well. Quad mix for USA Q8 and quadradisc, another one for europe and australia SQ and UK Q8 (now on SACD) and another on 5.1 DVD-A (USA only?)

Are there really 2 different quad mixes of this, has anyone confirmed it?

Darn, now I gotta add the Machine Head reel to things I want to eventually get a hold of and convert.

Grrrrr... How many times will I buy this album?
My thoughts exactly. And what use would be all the included stereo CDs to me :eek:
I wonder what format that DVD will be (no, it doesn't say DVD-Audio at closer look, but DVD, Audio and Visual).
previously unheard demo and rough mixes
On the 2003 remake version, the demo is somewhere as bonus. (Sounded rather lackluster to me). BTW I happen to like that 2003 DVD-A in glorious 5.1. I know it is rerecorded but that what's makes the sound quality so much better.

The SACD (quad) version was not the best in terms of surround, with cleaned-up multi tracks it could have been be improved a lot. Hmm, what about missing elements there (wasn't there a piano part that was dubbed directly on the master?)

Anyway, I'll restrain myself from ordering this unless I hear raving comments on the 5.1 mix. ;)

This will be the eighth (or ninth ?) time I'll be buying this album - including a picture 12'' pinned on my wall - and I already own the quad SACD !

...YET I need to say that this re-re-re-re-release will be worth PEANUTS to my eyes if the other Virgin-era Oldfield albums aren't released in 5.1 also - at least until Crisis, as the companion CD for this new release includes excerpts from the 1974-1983 M.O. albums.

A note to the new owners of those masters : I'm not ready to buy your "ultimate edition" at circa 80$. But I'm ready to pay 25$ for a 5.1 remaster of Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations, QE2, Five Miles Out, Crises, Amarok, Heaven's Open - hell, all of them indeed. Do the math : way more ca$h worth than your Tubular-Bells-only release :D

First of all, if the TB "Ultimate Edition" is only $80.00, I will be a very happy boy. I'm predicting it being well over $100 considering that there will only be 500 of those made.

But what really has me hopeful is the possibility of a "Hergest Ridge" ultimate edition! Indulge me in speculative fantasy:

Original Stereo Mix
Stereo Remix (remastered)
5.1 mix
Original Quad mix
Orchestral Hergest Ridge (previously unreleased)

Now *that* would rip the money right out of my pocket!

J. D.

Wait a minute... How many mixes are out there of TB?

UK 8 Track, which is also on the SACD. And a USA Quadradisc mix.

And there was a 5.1 DVD-Audio in 2003 - Which mix is on the DVD-A? Was this a new mix or from one of the Quad mixes and if so, which one?

And now a completely different 2009 mix.

And there was a 5.1 DVD-Audio in 2003 - Which mix is on the DVD-A? Was this a new mix or from one of the Quad mixes and if so, which one?

The dvd-audio is a re-recording of Tubular Bells, called Tubular Bells 2003. If you count that, then technically, yes, this is the 4th surround mix of Tubular Bells. But this new one is the 3rd mix of the original Tubular Bells since the 2003 dvd-a was a re-recording.

So Mike Oldfield re-recorded a different version of TB in 2003 for the DVD-A? Then this would be the first actual 5.1 mix from the original tapes I take it.

If only we could get so many multi-channel remixes of our favorite titles over the years...

then I'd have to buy the house next door :eek:

You are indeed correct sir! My house is being swamped with Discs, discs, discs and extra AMPS and DVD-A/SACD players etc., I've been collecting through the years. I gotta find room for all this crap now! Or get rid of some stuff...right, sure...:rolleyes::)

I think I should start with VHS tapes I recorded off the TV I already own on DVD...I've got a whole closet of VHS I haven't watched in many years that need a date with the garbage...

Never seen a UK QUAD 8 track of TB; USA cd4 and Q8 yes.
UK was SQ. The two mixes (single release and Boxed release) are different.

Back