Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always wanted a multi channel version of this record for my collection but never knew what mix to buy. Now I’m confident this is the definitive edition. The only thing this blu-ray doesn’t include is the 2003 re-recording, correct?
It also doesn't include:
  • The demos (which are being reissued on a RSD LP, however - they first appeared on the DVD-A of Tubular Bells 2003)
  • The 2009 stereo mix
  • The BBC performance from the DVD
Mike's discography is very, very complicated. 😬

Last edited:
Ordered!!
This looks to be an awesome release.

I'm going to beat a dead horse, but I just wish that Pink Floyd would have released something like this in one or two Blu-rays for The Dark Side of The Moon:
DSOTM - 2023 James Guthrie Dolby Atmos Mix
DSOTM - 2003 James Guthrie 5.1 Surround Mix
DSOTM - 1973 Alan Parsons 4.0 Quad Mix
DSOTM - 1973 Original Stereo Mix
DSOTM - 1972 Early Alan Parsons Stereo Mix
DSOTM Live - 1972 w/early versions of songs (full concert)
DSOTM Live - 1973 live version (full concert) [maybe]
DSOTM Live - 1974 Wembley full concert
DSOTM unreleased studio recordings (e.g. Traveling Sequence)

No 10, 10 to we do it AGAIN...

HOW COME MY TUBULAR BALLS DIDNT SEE THIS ONE COMING... :D
'cause they're bouncing in a
Newton's Cradle.gif
(Newton's Cradle)?

First one of these I’ve actually ordered (was tempted by Orbital but held off as modern Orbital can be hit or miss), but 3 different mixes at about £10.33 each post shipping isn’t that bad! Plus a history of other stereo mixes and Tubular Bells 4 (I guess I should get around to listening to 3 and Millennium Bell)

Reactions: SHB
Yes, soooo excited here also

View attachment 90113
oh geez, you had to go there, didn't you, lol
well I preordered this disc as soon as I found out then rushed over here to share the link too, but one thing is for sure, I will NOT be ordering "The Exorcist" 50th anniversary edition, which is likely coming later this year 😈🤮😱

on a side note, one of the best things about this upcoming release is that I will finally be able to sell off my Quad SACD.
Happy times indeed!

:)

oh geez, you had to go there, didn't you, lol
well I preordered this disc as soon as I found out then rushed over here to share the link too, but one thing is for sure, I will NOT be ordering "The Exorcist" 50th anniversary edition, which is likely coming later this year 😈🤮😱

on a side note, one of the best things about this upcoming release is that I will finally be able to sell off my Quad SACD.
Happy times indeed!

:)
Thought I'd rip the Band-aid off quick and get it all over with, as somebody would have.

Yeah, fun fact for me; since I've only watched the movie a couple times at an early age and it scared the bejesus out of me; I never bought this surround title in any format (have only heard it on the radio years ago.)

So I guess it's finally time I "exorcize" my demons 🏃‍♂️ and have a proper listen.

What I really like about doing this SDE 2 week notice pre-order; is, I don't have to rush it at 4-5 in the a.m. to order it on my iPhone in bed. :smokin

Thought I'd rip the Band-aid off quick and get it all over with, as somebody would have.

Yeah, fun fact for me; since I've only watched the movie a couple times at an early age and it scared the bejesus out of me; I never bought this surround title in any format (have only heard it on the radio years ago.)

So I guess it's finally time I "exorcize" my demons🏃‍♂️and have a proper listen.

What I really like about doing this SDE 2 week notice pre-order; is, I don't have to rush it at 4-5 in the a.m. to order it on my iPhone in bed. :smokin
One of the girls in the flat I shared rented the video, a load of us were watching it (+ I don't like horror movies!) at the instant where her head rotates the VHS tape jammed, one of the girls screamed and the rest of us nearly hit the ceiling! Never watched it again :ROFLMAO:

Ordered. I think this one will benefit vastly from a modern mix. There is a lot of harshness and hiss in the original that can be finely EQed out for a much more polished final product.

View attachment 90129
I like the way SDE is doing this now, instead of the shark fest of 'we're making 2000 only' they wait for the preorders to come in, then make the decision for how many to produce. I'm sure they make a few more for bad discs, lost in the mail etc. Fantastic work by SDE, cheers to them!
This isn't new. Some use a window, some are a predetermined number of units. It all comes down to whatever the label is willing to license.

Back