Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone uploaded TItle 1 (51:57) as "2009 5.1 mix", but my Title 1 is the QUAD mix (DTS).:confused:
So, not sure if it helps but this is my selection:

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 12.07.55 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I used MakeMKV in 'back-up' mode (to back-up the disc) followed by TSmuxerGUI to merge the part ones and twos together: -

Capture.PNG

As you can see, TSmuxerGUI is reporting different durations to @konoyaro's. However, these durations will be different again after the video streams are removed ;)

Cheers

By the way if you like getting approached in a personally space invading way by the sound objects nothing beats coaxial for coherency and controlled directivity what best manifests in these jumping at you effects.

Question regarding the Quad mix: If I own the 2001 SACD with the quad mix, do I need to re-rip the quad from this SDE Blu-ray?
I understand the two might be different in mastering, but I would happily avoid duplicates if I don't have to re-rip it... and I'll just grab the Atmos mix and the 2009 5.1 mix.

Mine arrived today. Now to play it several times....
As much as I love the quad mix (I have the SACD) I must admit I am really liking the Atmos mix. I do miss Vivian Stanshall vocals on the Sailor's Hornpipe though (buggered if I know why.....).

There was an earlier quad upmix from stereo that was on CD-4 but that didn't have the tromping around the studio ending and is not a real quad mix. That isn't on either the SACD or the Blu Ray.
What determines whether or not a quad mix is "real"?

What is the basis of the classification of the US CD4/Q8 mix of Tubular bells as "upmix"? It's another one of those facts that I'm sure I've read somewhere multiple times. The SACD makes reference to "abortive attempts at an earlier four channel remix" - but abortive implies unfinished. It's not clear what exactly that's referring to. I do recall reading something elsewhere about the original mix that used language about it being "fake" or "upmix" though. But I don't remember what exactly I read where or when.

But we've often found that artist recollections of things don't align exactly. Having the CD4 and Q8, they aren't anything I'd classify as upmix or fake. Perhaps there were technical complications that resulted in a compromised product that left people with negative views/memories of the mix. Perhaps with these limitations, they had to "fake" a few things - which then turns into them dismissing it as "oh, we faked that". But from hearing this mix, this isn't like the A&M fake mixes of Herb Alpert or Sergio Mendes.

What determines whether or not a quad mix is "real"?

What is the basis of the classification of the US CD4/Q8 mix of Tubular bells as "upmix"? It's another one of those facts that I'm sure I've read somewhere multiple times. The SACD makes reference to "abortive attempts at an earlier four channel remix" - but abortive implies unfinished. It's not clear what exactly that's referring to. I do recall reading something elsewhere about the original mix that used language about it being "fake" or "upmix" though. But I don't remember what exactly I read where or when.

But we've often found that artist recollections of things don't align exactly. Having the CD4 and Q8, they aren't anything I'd classify as upmix or fake. Perhaps there were technical complications that resulted in a compromised product that left people with negative views/memories of the mix. Perhaps with these limitations, they had to "fake" a few things - which then turns into them dismissing it as "oh, we faked that". But from hearing this mix, this isn't like the A&M fake mixes of Herb Alpert or Sergio Mendes.
In the liner notes of one of the versions I have, MO calls the original Quad mix a weird attempt using phase tricks, that the studio wasn't sophisticated enough to do more.
That's just a paraphrase from my dodgy memory.

Back