Dual Disc Mile Kind of Blue dual does not play

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffhughes

Hi
Any one else having problems with dual disks? I have no problems with dvda and sacd on my denon dvd-a11, but having just bought miles kind of blue. It plays in stereo, fading in and out on the dvd side and will not play the cd side. constant skipping.

Hi
Any one else having problems with dual disks? I have no problems with dvda and sacd on my denon dvd-a11, but having just bought miles kind of blue. It plays in stereo, fading in and out on the dvd side and will not play the cd side. constant skipping.

That happens a lot more than it should ... some players won't play the CD side, others can't load them at all. Bad format, stay away from them. The format is on the way out now anyway ... in favour of simple DVDs. Much better in my opinion. Get the SACD if you want Kind of Blue. LOTS less hassle. Mike.

Thanks for the reply. When you say dvd, do you mean dvda? I have tried to encourage dvda in the uk, as a format it is superb. I have some fine recordings. My feelings are that it is another missed opportunity. After the hifi media slated cd's but then when they became established they appear to need something else to condemn. They seem to miss the 24bit/96khz argument.
Although sacd's are fine and look like being accepted is this not another betamax via vhs situation.
Jeff

Be sure and buy "Love" on DVD-A and encourage all of your friends to do the same in the UK. If there is finally a release that sells in sufficient quantity to interest the record companies that might help.

I have a bunch of DualDiscs, must have 60 or so now. My players only have problems with the CD side, the DVD side plays fine. My PC does read them just fine and I can copy the CD side to CD-R for the auto so even the CD side is not a total waste. Although I like DualDisc just fine, I agree the format is dead and compatibility problems are part of the reason.

I prefer SACD but can be perfectly happy with DVD-A. The SACD is preferred for "Kind of Blue" in any event, see if you can return the DualDisc and get the SACD.

Chris

Hello again
Yes I know this argument has gone on but it should not go away. The hifi magazines are still slating dvda AND sacd. (Usually inferring that they are 'dead'). If we do not counter this by defending the formats the music industry and buyers will, as they are, shy away from selling and buying the disks.
The media keeps criticising the surround aspect and ignores the high resolution side. Or is hifi dead anyway as most people consider ipods as acceptable reproduction.
Jeff

Or is hifi dead anyway as most people consider ipods as acceptable reproduction.
Jeff

That is my belief exactly. The status of the brand, the esthetics of the design, and the shallow little pubescent tykes who cherish them PROVE that the pendulun has swung. Music NOW exists to sell technology.

Totally backwards in my mind; but when you consider the so-called "music" that usually resides on these things, it is no wonder that the techlology is the more interesting component of the package. Mike.

Music NOW exists to sell technology.
A great way to sum up the present state of audio for the Average Joes out there (I only use "Average Joe" in a descriptive way to describe someone not into audio as a hobby). I am tired of hearing people tell me "I've got 4762 songs on my player!" But are they GOOD songs? So big whoop. :(

The media keeps criticising the surround aspect and ignores the high resolution side.
The improvements of hi-res are sublte even to many audiophiles so it is no wonder they ignore it. And i think the surround "music pool" has been severely polluted by all the crummy faux 5.1 mixes heard on all those DualDiscs, badly done concert dvds and all those crappy DSP-derived mixes on dvd-a sold by Silverline and so people may think ALL surround music sounds that way. Plus with the proliferation of $100 iPod docking stations being many people's main sound system, people just have no clue what surround music IS. Maybe the LOVE disc will help change this attitude a little bit.

Back