Quad LP/Tape Poll Miles, Buddy, Band, The: Chapter VII [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Chapter VII"

• 10: Great sound, mix, music

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ/CAQ 32048, from 1973.

Side 1:

1. L.A. Resurrection
2. Life Is What You Make It (Part 1)
3. Elvira
4. Hear No Evil
5. Love Affair

Side 2:

1. Life Is What You Make It (Part 2)
2. Visions
3. Crossfire
4. There Was A Time

The Q8 alters the track sequence: "Here No Evil" is moved to open Program 2, while Part 2 of "Life" closes Program 1 to even out the timing.

ED :)

Buddy's best album. A 9. It would be a 10, but for the near complete lack of bass. 10 for mix, 9 1/2 for performance, 6 for fidelity, mainly the lack of bass. Most people know the song Them Changes which isn't here. It may be a hair better than anything here. Hear No Evil is the best track. A horn raveup with a killer "tack piano." I have mostly listened to the Q8 and got an SQ in '77. Is there any low end here at all? Not much. The 2ch LP is no better. The CD came out two years ago and has the best low end. The Q8 has a little. YOU NEED THIS, despite the lack of bass.

If you don't own A Long Time Comin' by the Electric Flag (2ch only), you're missing one of the 10 best albums EVER. Bloomfield, Gravenites, Buddy Miles, et al. Which one's Al? lol!!

Linda
Stand on up for what you know is right. Don't ya be the fool, don't you be uptight!

DSC01042.jpg

I must say I was blown away by this title. I was so mezmorized that I didn't even notice a lack of low end. When I listen to it again I'll try to be a little more critical. I was just blown away by the great mix of songs, fine musicianship and pretty good quad mix. This is definately great! I give it an 8!

I bought the Q8 the first day it was out and wish i could have bought it sooner. Sadly, it didn't come out on CD until 3 years ago. I bought that, the SQ, and the 2ch LP.

If you dig this, here are three other KILLER albums he appears on:

Booger Bear, the follow up, almost as strong with a better low end. The same band as Chapter VII. I have an SQ, Q8, 2ch LP and CD of this:
$(KGrHqRHJCgE8fjuOpMTBPKK,z(9FQ~~60_35.JPG

A Long Time Comin' - Electric Flag. With several guys from my old neighborhood. Out of 20,000 albums, this ranks in my top 10. Nick Gravenites, the other vocalist is the cousin of an old friend. He's my vote for best male rock/blues vocalist. Michael Bloomfield is not to be believed. IMHO, only Hendrix and Jeff Beck had/have better chops. I have a Japan Blu-spec CD, 2 2ch LP's and the original CD. Synthesizes extremely well.
$T2eC16F,!ygE9s7HHgoQBQWjDGOC!!~~60_35.JPG

The Electric Flag. Follow up to A Long Time Comin'. Without Bloomfield, but still a damn strong album. I have 2 2 ch LP's and a CD of this. Also synthesizes very well. It is long OOP on all formats, but still not to be missed.
000f2c11_medium.jpeg

Yep, just a great album!!!! This is one to spin (or whatever) once in a while.

This title needs more votes! Especially in the wake of D-V’s release of Live! and Booger Bear.

Once again I was lucky to hear a stellar Q8 conversion. Minimal hiss, surprisingly good frequency response, no audible wow & flutter. As @Quad Linda says: the low end is a little weak, but I think the converter may have corrected that somewhat with some skillful EQ.

Lots of variety in the mixes, supervised by Miles himself and executed by Michael Stone (whose only other credit, as far as I can tell, is Booger Bear?). Mostly phantom-center lead vocals, but everything else moves around, track to track (and even within a given track). Lead guitars are sometimes left-panned, sometimes diagonally panned. Horns and organ can be panned left or right, spread across the fronts, or in all four corners. Drums are sometimes in the rears, sometimes on the left, on one track even isolated front-right.

For content, I think this is a stronger album overall than Booger Bear, so I hope it’s in the D-V queue. It's full of great, hard-driving, sometimes hard-rocking, funk workouts (the instrumental “Hear No Evil” is a high point for me), plus out-and-out ravers like “Love Affair.” (Also a couple of relative turkeys: the self-help soul ballad “There Was a Time” and the drippy “Life Is What You Make It (Part 2).” But you can't have everything.)

A "9" from me. 10 whenever it's reissued on SACD....

Last edited:
Back