HiRez Poll Miles, Buddy - BOOGER BEAR & CARLOS SANTANA AND BUDDY MILES: LIVE! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Buddy Miles - BOOGER BEAR & CARLOS SANTANA AND BUDDY MILES: LIVE!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Double-SACD from Dutton Vocalion of the albums "Booger Bear" by Buddy Miles & "Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles: Live!"
This Double-SACD includes the release of the original Quadraphonic mixes of both albums for the first time in over 40 years! šŸ¤Æ

(y):)(n)

CD 1
Buddy Miles: Booger Bear
LP KC 32694 (1973) STEREO/CQ 32694 QUADRAPHONIC
1: BOOGER BEAR (Miles)
2: THINKING OF YOU (Messina)
3: WHY (Miles)
4: YOU REALLY GOT ME (R. Davies)
5: LOVE (Miles; Pantos)
6: UNITED NATIONS STOMP (Miles)
7: CRAZY LOVE (Miles)
8: YOU ARE EVERYTHING (Creed; Bell)
9: LOUIEā€™S BLUES (Miles)

CD 2
Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles: Live!
LP KC 31308 (1972) STEREO/CQ 31308 QUADRAPHONIC
1: MARBLES (McLaughlin)
2: LAVA (Miles)
3: EVIL WAYS (Henry)
4: FAITH INTERLUDE (Santana; Miles)
5: THEM CHANGES (Miles)
6: FREE FORM FUNKAFIDE FILTH (Thomas; Santana; Miles; Errico; Johnson)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton
Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

2CDSML8560

81tIif6H-4L._AC_SL1429_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I've only listened to the Santana & Buddy Miles so far. This is my second favorite release for 2019.
Dynamic and very discrete with plenty of air & energy. A very "live" feel to it.
Jam sessions with so many musicians involved usually end up being sloppy. I'm amazed how well this turned out.
Various sources show personnel ranging between 8 and 13 musicians on this recording. Seems almost impossible that they were able to get such discrete separation of instruments on a purely live recording with so many musicians involved.
I think they probably kept the usable live content and then fleshed out the recording in the studio with appropriate overdubs.
The full live concert is on YouTube. It is from the Sunshine festival. About 90 minutes into the performance you can hear the beginning of what became the official recording.
There are some who claim the entire Santana/Miles was recorded in the studio. I think they are wrong.
There are Hawaiian newspaper clippings that describe unbearably hot weather at this event. Also consider that this was more likely the "Orange Sunshine" festival. This could be why the notorious phony canned audience was dubbed in. The real audience was probably in a heat & drug induced torpor.
The length of the original performance was 180 minutes. It included a nice version of Little Wing and a short Layla.
Just a fantastic delight for me and a dream come true. Keep these Santana coming. Caravanserai ???

I voted 8. A very good Dutton Vocalion release and I believe the 4.0 quad mix couldn't be done better. Beefalo's comments above are quite interesting.

Buddy Miles Booger Bear: is a great surround experience I especially liked tracks 1 & 7. Fidelity quite good and songs are enjoyable. The 4.0 experience is very good with great separation between the 4 speakers and fun to listen to.

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live: I am surprised I missed this one back in the day as I was buying all Santana albums at that time and had no idea this release fell between Santana III and Caravanserai. I was a little disappointed with this but at the same time enjoyed it. I am sure Michael Dutton has made this the definitive version. It seemed a little choppy to me and unfortunately for my ears was a little muddy, I would have liked to hear a bit more mid range and treble. Definately discrete with the instruments and vocals and miles ahead of both Lotus releases, from Japan and Audio Fidelity. For this I was very happy. The audience was a little weird but I can handle that, biggest gripe was the fidelity for me. What I would like to do is compare the 2 Lotus and this and see if my score would increase.

My vote of 8, which is a little low for me probably had more to do with my unfamiliarity of both recordings and not getting completely wowed I came in with a lower score. However in the end I do believe I will listen to both again which is more than I can say for others.

Anybody else ever pick up cheap used vinyl just for the LP cover to supplement the digital disc?
I'll just leave these here:

LP insert with credits

View attachment 45093

Well-loved and traveled gatefold with ring wear, probably some herbal crumbs trapped in the inside spine

View attachment 45092
"herbal crumbs" Well it was recorded in Hawaii.
Maui Wowie ???

Santana is known to use multiple types of drums in their music. This release has several Congo's, a Timbale plus two other drummers.
I think it is appropriate to have these various drums coming from multiple channels.
So do I. Seperating one kit is another issue. Seperating percussion parts is great.

Free your mind and enjoy more of life. I like to think of these old quads as art where the music is released from the constraints of the stage.

So I am obliged to like everything otherwise my mind is not free and I am unhappy with life? LOL

I am allowed to hate kick drum being put in rear right speaker. I am not on here to be an obsequious fool.

as we know, while many Quad mixes retained the more regular stereo spread for drums across the Front pair of channels, a number of old Quad mixes instead spread drum parts out around the room, some more aggressively and some more convincingly than others.

Janis Joplin's "Pearl" is one old Quad that's had some stick over the years for panning various bits of kit seemingly willy-nilly and true it doesn't always make a ton of sense musically but it is such a fun surround mix it can almost be forgiven for its' sins!

also, as more people are discovering (thanks to Vocalion) several of the harder to find in vintage form late era ('75-'77) CBS mixes have drums isolated to one Rear channel only, which also seems to divide the modern day surround listening community somewhat. they're "Multichannel Marmite", you either love 'em (like me) or loathe them!

on this live album there were some liberties taken with the mix to pan elements and some of those mix decisions won't be to everyone's taste and that is of course absolutely fine, everyone's opinions are completely equally valid on something so subjective.

however, personally i'd rather an active and engaging surround mix such as this one than the 'so underwhelming it may as well be stereo' kind we sadly got for Lotus.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to briefly make a comment about this new release, in as much as it has been one of my biggest DV surprises so far, it has really made me appreciate two Quads i never had much time for in the past.

i believe that could be due in part to the massively upgraded sound quality, which by comparison to my old SQ LPs and Q8s is so remarkable it is bordering on the revelatory! these were two lousy sounding SQ LP Quads! if you rack this new set up against the vintage format offerings you'll likely be as staggered as i was, the new SACDs sound that much better its not just the proverbial veil that's been lifted, clothes are strewn around the room (all over the place like the drums!) and we're down to our undergarments!! šŸ˜€

for greatly improved sound quality, musical content i'd never fully connected with until now and sheer fun this is a big fat booger "10".

Last edited:
I always like guitars in the fronts ā€˜caus Iā€™ve enjoyed playing them for many years and Iā€™m obviously impartial that way; but not everythingā€™s in our control-

View attachment 45165

caution! šŸ‘

there be guitars in the Rears on this here Santana Live disc, Sgt. Pupster!!! šŸŽø

(..and there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow, there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, Jim! šŸ¤£

caution! šŸ‘

there be guitars in the Rears on this here Santana Live disc, Sgt. Pupster!!! šŸŽø

(..and there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow, there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, Jim! šŸ¤£
Iā€™ve learned to adapt, (maybe) and reach for the stars ā­ļø ā­ļø ā­ļø- or just reach for a channel swap in a DAW :) - Iā€™ve got this one on the way, Iā€™ll be sure to give a proper personal accounting of it upon arrival!

Back