HiRez Poll Miles, Buddy - BOOGER BEAR & CARLOS SANTANA AND BUDDY MILES: LIVE! [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Buddy Miles - BOOGER BEAR & CARLOS SANTANA AND BUDDY MILES: LIVE!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
as we know, while many Quad mixes retained the more regular stereo spread for drums across the Front pair of channels, a number of old Quad mixes instead spread drum parts out around the room, some more aggressively and some more convincingly than others.

Janis Joplin's "Pearl" is one old Quad that's had some stick over the years for panning various bits of kit seemingly willy-nilly and true it doesn't always make a ton of sense musically but it is such a fun surround mix it can almost be forgiven for its' sins!

also, as more people are discovering (thanks to Vocalion) several of the harder to find in vintage form late era ('75-'77) CBS mixes have drums isolated to one Rear channel only, which also seems to divide the modern day surround listening community somewhat. they're "Multichannel Marmite", you either love 'em (like me) or loathe them!

on this live album there were some liberties taken with the mix to pan elements and some of those mix decisions won't be to everyone's taste and that is of course absolutely fine, everyone's opinions are completely equally valid on something so subjective.

however, personally i'd rather an active and engaging surround mix such as this one than the 'so underwhelming it may as well be stereo' kind we sadly got for Lotus.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to briefly make a comment about this new release, in as much as it has been one of my biggest DV surprises so far, it has really made me appreciate two Quads i never had much time for in the past.

i believe that could be due in part to the massively upgraded sound quality, which by comparison to my old SQ LPs and Q8s is so remarkable it is bordering on the revelatory! these were two lousy sounding SQ LP Quads! if you rack this new set up against the vintage format offerings you'll likely be as staggered as i was, the new SACDs sound that much better its not just the proverbial veil that's been lifted, clothes are strewn around the room (all over the place like the drums!) and we're down to our undergarments!! 😀

for greatly improved sound quality, musical content i'd never fully connected with until now and sheer fun this is a big fat booger "10".
Very informative fredblue. What source do you think Mr. Dutton had access to. ..the multitracks or the mixed down quad master or whatever you would call it?

So I am obliged to like everything otherwise my mind is not free and I am unhappy with life? LOL

I am allowed to hate kick drum being put in rear right speaker. I am not on here to be an obsequious fool.

Of course not. I was only trying to suggest that sometimes our experience or upbringing prevents us from enjoying life more. But if you feel that strongly about it, that's fine.

Very informative fredblue. What source do you think Mr. Dutton had access to. ..the multitracks or the mixed down quad master or whatever you would call it?

hi Beefalo :hi

i have no idea what sources Mr. DV used here but compared to my old original Quad tapes and records its bloomin' marvellous! 🌈🤩

I recall that the live Santana/Miles "Evil Ways" got a lot of airplay back in the day, not quite the monster hit the original Santana single was though. My SQ LP has seen better days, it was bought used and was not one of my favourite "Santanas" anyway but this release stands out, sounds amazing. I had the Booger Bear Q8 for quite some time and the SQ LP more recently, it was never one of my favourites, however I really did enjoy listening to this disc. I didn't remember he did a version of "You Really Got Me Now" a tribute to the Kinks, long before Van Halen got a hold of it. "United Nations Stomp" and "Louie's Blues" also stood out for me.

So I am obliged to like everything otherwise my mind is not free and I am unhappy with life? LOL

I am allowed to hate kick drum being put in rear right speaker. I am not on here to be an obsequious fool.
"obsequious fool"
Is that like a "useful idiot" ???

Yes you can, but there's also a history lesson to be learnt here.
We're talking about early Columbia quads that had two different markets: SQ and Q8.
SQ was nicknamed SuckyQuad for a reason, because until Logic decoders were made, the separation was on a single digit, and on low numbers; so putting a kick in the rear (pun NOT intended) wasn't a big issue because it would shows and a center fore.
On Q8, which were for the majority, a car-use media, a kick in the rear (again pun NOT intended) gave the rear channels some wonderful and impressive workout. Even today big woofers are on the rear side of a car...

So, there were reasons to mix it that way - and the whole good old debates about GRT Q8 -C vs -H carts channels differencies offer a good hint - just not panoramically - musically goods.

OK, OK. I just voted a 9. I damn near gave it a 10. I think this release is simply spectacular. The quadness is just super good. Booger Bear is amazing, great music, great surround. Live is also amazing and obviously great for a live recording. But, I don't traditionally like live recordings.

Haven’t voted yet, but it’s good. It’s very, very good. The Santana album, as I have mentioned before, is not among my favourite Santana releases. It features Buddy Miles and Neal Schon at least as much as Santana, and musically it’s among the less interesting Santana albums in that it’s mostly a jam affair. But the surround mix is great.
The suprise for me was how much I liked Booger Bear. I’ve been playing it a lot. Fantastic mix, and much better musically than I expected. A fun funk-rock-soul album with hints of Hendrix and even a nod to Jeff Beck (the Plynth riff stolen/quoted).

The Santana/Buddy part of this set is the star! Really great remastering with plenty of bottom end and really pristine sounding to me. Well done. I also like the playing and song selection. The Booger Bear album is good (not great) and it sounds excellent but the live disc is really excellent.

I voted a 9. Wasn't at all familiar with Buddy's Booger Bear but was charmed by the wonderful QUAD mix and 70's 'vibe.' Of course pairing it with the Santana/Buddy Miles LIVE was another unexpected bonus and considering D~V put them on one disc for roughly US $15 [instead of $60 list....the price we'd normally pay for 2 US SACD reissues, stereo or Quad] is a genuine thrill!

edit: it was spread across two SACDs.....but still a bargain in my book!

Last edited:
I voted a 9. Wasn't at all familiar with Buddy's Booger Bear but was charmed by the wonderful QUAD mix and 70's 'vibe.' Of course pairing it with the Santana/Buddy Miles LIVE was another unexpected bonus and considering D~V put them on one disc for roughly US $15 [instead of $60 list....the price we'd normally pay for 2 US SACD reissues, stereo or Quad] is a genuine thrill!

well its 2 discs, Ralphie.. but let's not split booger bear hairs! 😘

Back