SPOTLIGHT Miles Davis - Live / Evil 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Mozart died young but Haydn reached an old age and wrote 104 symphonies to speak of classical music and those later ones particularly 104 in my opinion are superb.
We have only to ponder where Hendrix would have turned his gaze or what new songs Lennon might have cowritten with Paul....

Hendrix would have further explored jazz. He had expressed a desire to do so. He and Miles were friendly. Likely, they would have recorded together.

"When I die and they lay me to rest, going to go to the place that's best..."
I'm told that Jimi, Janis, Miles, Trane, Bird, Wes, Django, Diz, Jaco and lots of other talented folks are in that band.

Hendrix would have further explored jazz. He had expressed a desire to do so. He and Miles were friendly. Likely, they would have recorded together.

I'm told that Jimi, Janis, Miles, Trane, Bird, Wes, Django, Diz, Jaco and lots of other talented folks are in that band.

John McLaughlin also famously jammed with Jimi Hendrix at the Record Plant in New York on March 25th, 1969, along with Buddy Miles and Dave Holland. Says McLauglin of the experience, “We played one night, just a jam session. And we played from 2 until 8, in the morning. I thought it was a wonderful experience! I was playing an acoustic guitar with a pick-up. Um, flat-top guitar, and Jimi was playing an electric. Yeah, what a lovely time! Had he lived today, you’d find that he would be employing everything he could get his hands on, and I mean acoustic guitar, synthesizers, orchestras, voices, anything he could get his hands on he’d use!” The audio recording remains a widely fan-circulated gem to this day.

What if Jim had gotten sober, and went on to record solo stuff?? What would he have done?

Mike, it's hard to a/b when different media, disc players. phono cartridges, decoders (where applicable), and systems are involved.

My first copy was the 2 SQ LP. Not only that, it is also my most listened to copy. Perhaps the only copy I owned for 20 years. I played it 2ch (w/o decoding) a few times. The decoders I use(d) were Marantz SQA-1 (front/back logic retired), Marantz SQA-2b and Sony SQD-2020.

I like a bright high end. Check. SQ sounded good with an AT14Sa, far better w/various versions of Ortofon MC 20 Moving coil. I went MC in '78 and never looked back. The separation and bass response are better on the 4.0 2 SACD, as expected. In multichannel, it has to be this new release.

On stereo SACD, I like both the 2ch 2 SACD and the 4.0 2 Hybrid SACD 2ch layer.

The package on the new one is superb, albeit impractical. It matches all the other 7" packages of these overpriced Japan releases. They're stacked horizontal under the iMac. Some of my favorite Quads!

I've never owned 2 ch 2 LP of this, so I can't speak to that. Nor can I speak to which CD sounds the best. I suspect it might be the Japan 2 CD. Likely, most of you who bought this on 2 CD, bought it in the master that was the most recent. I have that in the Complete Columbia albums box. Honesty, I've never compared the later master to the Japan 2 CD, although I own them both.

I owned both Miles 2 SQ LP albums before I owned any other of his albums. Within a couple years, I bought Miles at Fillmore, Jack Johnson, Blackhawk, On the Corner, and Big Fun. I waited for more Quad Miles. No more Quads came. When Miles resumed recording (Man w/Horn), I began buying his albums in earnest. Every album came into my hands as they became available on CD, usually Japanese. Some, I bought on LP long before the CD's became available. A couple compilations never made it to CD: Basic Miles & Jazz Track. I do have a CD Jazz Track as part of Columbia mono CD box. Still hasn't come out separately.

Several years later, I've amassed hundreds of Miles albums. My biggest bitch is not enough time to listen as often as I'd like.

Last edited:
Here are are few photos of the new set. My SQ vinyl is well loved here. Looking forward to listening to for the first time in discrete quad.

Attachments

• IMG_9047 (2).jpg
    IMG_9047 (2).jpg
    196 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_9048 (2).jpg
    IMG_9048 (2).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_9050 (2).jpg
    IMG_9050 (2).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 175
Mike, it's hard to a/b when different media, disc players. phono cartridges, decoders (where applicable), and systems are involved.

My first copy was the 2 SQ LP. Not only that, it is also my most listened to copy. Perhaps the only copy I owned for 20 years. I played it 2ch (w/o decoding) a

Several years later, I've amassed hundreds of Miles albums. My biggest bitch is not enough time to listen as often as I'd like.

MILES to go before I sleep .... MILES to go before I sleep

My set just arrived. Playing disc one tonite
This is a beautiful package.....but you realize if DV had the reissue rights it would only cost 15 to 20 bucks instead of nearly $60.

Sounds great sound bouncing around the speakers
Imagine if Hendrix's guitar could have joined in....

Back