SPOTLIGHT Miles Davis - Live / Evil 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Info seems to have just started trickling out of Japan, on sites like this one and this one.

Catalog number should be SICJ-10012/13, release date December 4th. The information in the eBay listing suggests it's the same format as Bitches Brew, a two-disc 7" replica of the original gatefold LP.

I’m thrilled that 1) the series is continuing, 2) that Bitches Brew did well enough that another Miles Davis title was green-lit, and 3) that a double album is certainly doable.

I’d rather they reached in and did a different artist that we have not yet been blessed with already in this format. But it is nice to wrap up the year with a nice continuation of a fabulous series. And folks have been mentioning this title on their want lists, I’ve noticed.

I’m thrilled that 1) the series is continuing, 2) that Bitches Brew did well enough that another Miles Davis title was green-lit, and 3) that a double album is certainly doable.

I’d rather they reached in and did a different artist that we have not yet been blessed with already in this format. But it is nice to wrap up the year with a nice continuation of a fabulous series. And folks have been mentioning this title on their want lists, I’ve noticed.

It seems to be the way that Sony Japan do things, in a (depending on your temprament, maddeningly) slowly and deliberately orderly way - like with the Jeff Beck quad SACDs, they simply reissued the old SACD of Blow by Blow, just in the deluxe 7" packaging. When that one did ok, they moved on to the others, one at a time, and with no other artists in the interim. I'm guessing this is their way of minimising risk - one Jeff Beck sells well, so they have the confidence to do the others presuming they'll have the same result, and now the same with Miles Davis.

The upside is that with every SACD they reissue, it narrows the pool of what's remaining - unless they decide to put out Mark Wilder's unreleased 5.1 remix of Jack Johnson next, you'd have to think that they consider Miles Davis "done", and that they'll move on to one of their other remaining crown jewels that have extant quad mixes, like Santana, or Aerosmith, or the two Billy Joels that haven't been done yet.

I saw that post over at SHF but I searched CDJapan using the title and the release number and nothing comes up.
I would rather order from them as opposed to using eBay. I would guess since the release date is Dec 4 it will be showing up in CDJapan's website fairly soon.

eBay would be my last choice of buying venue for a new release like this one. Maybe a “like new” copy, saving $25 in the process, but no, not now.

So these two doubles are all of the Miles mixed to quad from the 70s? They are a couple of very adventurous programs musically so it’s not a bad thing.

SPOTLIGHT status here, and the SURROUND year is not yet finished even, and... with us & D/V waiting for the hot presses to finish - stamping out the final pop / rock stuff which makes this year’s quad and 5.1 totals much more acceptable as a going concern than it looked like around mid-summer.

And just when it looked bleak for Japanese 7” releases, we get a true fusion favorite, mastering not in question. Of course the packaging is delectable / collectible sight unseen.

I saw that post over at SHF but I searched CDJapan using the title and the release number and nothing comes up.
I would rather order from them as opposed to using eBay. I would guess since the release date is Dec 4 it will be showing up in CDJapan's website fairly soon.
They would definitely be my choice.

A Santana quad with an exclusive hardcover slipcase that has room for a nice stack of additional Santana 7” SACD titles, 4.0 titles not yet released.

Or The Complete Johnny & Edgar Winter Quadraphonic Mixes! Buy one, or collect them all!

short description and catalogue info from the eBay listing;

(image is just a placeholder but seller is legit, i've been buying stuff off them on eBay for many years)

Roll on December the 4th..!! 🎉

TdXVph1.png

yZAapEm.jpg

p7nvIZ2.jpg

iMmDPPu.jpg

Back