SPOTLIGHT Miles Davis - Live / Evil 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am playing my newly arrived copy as we speak. An outrageously brilliant remaster. Gotta hand it to SONY JAPAN ..... they may be slow as molasses releasing those 'ancient' QUADS...... but when they do something ...... it's DEFINITIVE!
Does that mean you have your new system all in, up and running?

Does that mean you have your new system all in, up and running?

Nay, Pupster. But I did move my B&W 802 Nautilus speakers from the old system upstairs into my ALL ANALOGUE Parasound system and it just sounds amazing.

Should have the new system installed within the next 2~3 weeks. A lot of prep work to do including massive new custom bookshelves, etc.

Nay, Pupster. But I did move my B&W 802 Nautilus speakers from the old system upstairs into my ALL ANALOGUE Parasound system and it just sounds amazing.

Should have the new system installed within the next 2~3 weeks. A lot of prep work to do including massive new custom bookshelves, etc.
I have an almost ALL ANALOGUE Parasound setup too.P7,A52 and A23 bridged for center.Oppo 105 as player.Parasound is good stuff. :cool:

Just go through one session with just about all of it. I love Miles, I have pretty much everything available and most of the grey area stuff up to the 80s where I jump off. 70s Miles is where I began and I love everything from that era especially. And I *adore* McLaughlin. Even so, this album never quite hit me as much as many of the others from that era. For some reason, the band Miles had at the time didn’t quite get off the ground. At least it seems like that was Miles’ own estimation too, since this lineup (Jarrett, Bartz, DeJohnette, Henderson and Moreira) never recorded in the studio. McLaughlin was only a guest on occasion. It seems that after Miles failed to convince McLaughlin to join his band on a permanent basis (it’s well documented that he tried to persuade him on several occasions), and after the recording of A Tribute to Jack Johnson in April and the release of Bitches Brew in January(?) 1970, he was searching for a direction through most of 1970 and 1971. It wasn’t until the funk exercises of 1972 that he hit upon something entirely new again after that perfect «trilogy» of In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew and A Tribute to Jack Johnson. So for me, Live/Evil has always been a bit of a transitional album, and not one I reach for all that often.

With that out of the way, I am happy to say that this must be the definitive edition of this album. The packaging is stellar as always. The sound and mastering faultless. And the quadraphonic mix is superlative, easily as good as Bitches Brew. Intimate yet spacious, just like we want it. I would rate it a 10 for sound and a 10 for the mix, and a 7 for the content. Disc 2 especially goes a bit too far into skronk territory (I like me some skronk, but it was never something Miles did particularly well...and try as I might, I never quite «got» Keith Jarrett).

Overall an 8, since content is always the most important, but it’s a must-own for the mix and fidelity alone. Plus, it’s Miles bleedin’ Davis in surround!!

Now, bring on the Santana quads...
Hi Shakti...our musical tastes are aligned...what other artists from this genre do you like and recommend? Herbie Hancock/Mwandishi, Weather Report, Soft Machine, Nucleus...others?

Ooh, too many to mention. If we stick to surround titles for now, I’d say you need...

Miles: In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Live/Evik
Mahavishnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire
Billy Cobham: Spectrum
Herbie Hancock: Sextant, Head Hunters, Thrust
Weather Report: Mysterious Traveller, Tale Spinnin’

That was off the top of my head. Outside of surround titles, one that is essential is Tony Williams Lifetime: Emergency!

Am playing my newly arrived copy as we speak. An outrageously brilliant remaster. Gotta hand it to SONY JAPAN ..... they may be slow as molasses releasing those 'ancient' QUADS...... but when they do something ...... it's DEFINITIVE!
If only the could up their game and put out six a year. This are dream packages. If they are listening please both Mahavishnu and Blue Oyster Cult titles. I don’t mind buying them again just for the packaging although their mastering is always an upgrade

If only the could up their game and put out six a year. This are dream packages. If they are listening please both Mahavishnu and Blue Oyster Cult titles. I don’t mind buying them again just for the packaging although their mastering is always an upgrade

please put out “Spectrum”! I missed out on it the first time around and the used prices for the AF are CRAZY!

Finally home from Brazil/Argentina. My copy from ImportCD was waiting for me....
I mean, these 7" releases really are a sight to behold. Truly......special. I hate to even open mine...looks so nice.

bienvenido a casa del cuadrafonico, Señor GOSARARIO! try the malbec! stay for the creme de cacao! 😋🍷🍫🍹🤩👂🍌

(no idea what any of it means! 🤪 just went wjere the peaceful juices flow!! 🤣)

please put out “Spectrum”! I missed out on it the first time around and the used prices for the AF are CRAZY!

that would be awesome for all those who missed out on it!!
although we'd need a surround friendly label (e.g. DV) to broker a deal with WEA to licence it since Spectrum's on Warner/Rhino, if it was a Sony title i'd be more optimistic 😌

I'm hoping import cds has one of their 10% off sales soon, so I can get the 7" SACD of Live Evil and Miles' Brew too. If not, I'm going to have to lay the money down fairly fast, as I don't want to miss out on these. By holding off, I totally missed AF's release of Cobham's Spectrum and Chicago's Quadio box. In the meantime, I have been listening to Miles' Cellar Door CD box set a lot, where the live tracks from Live Evil originated. The band is smokin' and the fidelity is outstanding on these CDs!

I'm hoping import cds has one of their 10% off sales soon, so I can get the 7" SACD of Live Evil and Miles' Brew too. If not, I'm going to have to lay the money down fairly fast, as I don't want to miss out on these. By holding off, I totally missed AF's release of Cobham's Spectrum and Chicago's Quadio box. In the meantime, I have been listening to Miles' Cellar Door CD box set a lot, where the live tracks from Live Evil originated. The band is smokin' and the fidelity is outstanding on these CDs!
Both Import cds and Deep discount list this as backordered. Besides eBay & Discogs (expensive)
Japanese sellers have it.

Deep Discount has Miles' LIVE EVIL for $56.10 and are NOW offering a 15% discount and FREE s/h [price would be reduced to $47.68 + tax]
https://www.deepdiscount.com/live-evil-quadraphonic-sacdmulti-channel/4547366428513
Coupon code is VALENTINE and expires on 2/12 @ NOON [BTW, Live Evil is currently on backorder]

After ripping the SACD discs to dsf, I discovered a small clicking sound at the beginning of each of the first songs on the discs (Sivad-disc 1) and (Selim-disc 2).
After converting to flac at 24-96-0 in Foobar2000 the click gets noticeably louder. It seems to reside mainly in the "silent" center channel. What I ended up doing is running it through Audacity, highlighting the first hundredth of a second and reducing the amplitude all the way down as far as I could. That seemed to get rid of it.

If anyone else has notice this and has a better way to handle it, please let me know.
Also is this a mastering mistake since it's the first track on each disc; or a ripping / conversion error?

This also throws the DR number way off on those tracks (those tracks to around 17 DR.) Using Garry's Music Media Helper I removed the center (for reading purposes) and the resulting DR's were:

MD-LIVE EVIL-SACD-DR-D1-4.0-ADJ.jpg

MD-LIVE EVIL-SACD-DR-D2-4.0-ADJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back