Miles Documentary to Air on PBS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
NY WNET PBS 13 will air "the Birth of the Cool" Miles doc in February 2020. Hopefully, your local PBS station and mine will pick this up, too.

WGN News had a live interview with Vince Wilburn a few months ago. He discussed the doc at length. Vince is Miles' nephew. He was in Miles' Band for five years. Wilburn also was instrumental in bringing the "Miles Ahead" film w/Don Cheadle to fruition.

https://www.thirteen.org/blog-post/...MBRju2MgifdTLF8d2C-YGd8nJHUpqfbFuVHAvgPGAUvi0

I am Tivo-ing all American Masters. I cut the cord, but am grateful for tivo and 4 etv/pbs stations I get on the antenna. Samm-y Davis Jr will also be great.

I am Tivo-ing all American Masters. I cut the cord, but am grateful for tivo and 4 etv/pbs stations I get on the antenna. Samm-y Davis Jr will also be great.

Same here with cutting cord and picking up a $300 all in TiVo nearly a decade ago. American Masters and Austin City Limits have been a one pass staple on PBS. Tonight on ACL is Cage The Elephant...

Saw this at the local art house a few months ago. Great stuff. Presents both the good and the not-so-good of Miles. I went with my significant other, and she had a hard time merging the man with his music, as his well documented treatment of women isn't stellar. It opens up a dialogue regarding great artists vs their humanity, à la Michael Jackson, Bing Crosby, etc.

Has anyone heard if there will be a BDA/DVD of this doc, and if so, whether it will include a surround mix? The film's website doesn't say. The soundtrack album was released today in high-res stereo (Qobuz and elsewhere).

John Akomfrah's wonderful tribute to sociologist/cultural critic/theorist/lifelong Miles fan Stuart Hall--which used Miles's music extensively throughout--had a gorgeous surround mix.

Links:

I just finished watching the PBS show about Miles, very well done and I highly recommend. It really takes you from birth to end and doe very well with exceptional commentary from those that where there. 2 hours.
I have about 35 Miles Davis releases, think I want to complete my collection.

I watched it this morning and 100% agree. This was the first documentary I had seen on him so it was well worth watching.

I just finished watching the PBS show about Miles, very well done and I highly recommend. It really takes you from birth to end and doe very well with exceptional commentary from those that where there. 2 hours.
Did they get into his drug addictions?

Crap, really wanted to see this, when was it on, don't know how I missed it?

Wonder which one of them was predominant during Live Evil .... ?

Carlos Santana made an interesting comment on that subject although he was referring to the Bitches Brew recording.

Excellent documentary! Miles is my #1 favorite jazz musician anyway. I have 13 albums on LP, CD, SACD, both stereo & quad plus download files from Qobuz...still collecting & still listening to his music :) I actually just got the Live-Evil quad SACD import on Friday.

If anyone has a remote interest in jazz, this is worth watching along with the Ken Burns history of jazz documentary. The guy who reads Miles' actual writings, does it perfectly, complete with his raspy voice. You almost believe it's Miles that's speaking.

The drugs & alcohol are covered, even from Mile's own writings on those times. Along with his multiple lovers, muses & marriages.

Back