DVD/DTS Poll Miller, Steve - Fly Like An Eagle [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle [1999]

• Total voters
Bob.
I tried to vote on this - wanted to give an 8, but am being told I already voted.
Which I didn't.
I can see the options for voting but it will not accept the input.

Anyway.
The disc itself sounds superb to me - but I am a somewhat biased person here.
Highly recommended.

The only downer on this DTS CD is that "Mercury Blues" retains the early fade out created to make the program "fit" on a Q8. I suppose that DTS merely got the original Q8 master tape, so there was no way to "put back" the missing minute or two.

Other than that, a fine disc. Now, what happened to THE JOKER?????

Great mix generally.

There are a couple of quirks both good and bad. The worst one is that the original opening cut "Space Intro" is almost entirely missing, with only the final "notes" (wind sounds?) of it segueing into "Fly Like An Eagle" left in. :mad:@: In fact, "Space Intro" isn't even listed on the release. I'm sure this could have been amazing in quad.

Another disappointment was "The Window". I like how the stereo album flows with the song fading up from nothing; on the quad version the moog bass notes start full volume. Another problem with this song was the execution of the "freakout" synthesizer panning at the end. I thought the stereo version was more effective than the quad. :phones

On the up side, it's interesting to hear the extended version of "Take the Money and Run".

My vote for best mix on the album? "Wild Mountain Honey" :smokin

I'm not the world's biggest Steve Miller fan, but the old Q8 of this one was a fave of mine, and the DTS disc is obviously made from the same master as used for the 8-track. It does have its quirks and anomalies, though nothing that ever bugged me overmuch. Overall, a very solid '9' with some very clever and fitting surround mixes, and this is the only way I can tolerate "Take The Money And Run".....

ED

Hit after hit on this CD. I thought when we got the oks to do the Capitol releases from Mac and Miller that we would finally get some people to take heed, that surround will be noticed. 8 years later....noticably absent. Good mix and wonderfully simple songs. Very few people could do this and make it work like this album. Number 9, number 9.

I know this will make me as popular as Simon Cowell here, but my one word for this mix is "unlistenable".

I hated the Q8 and the DTS equally. Sold my copy.

Hissy, awful sonics, quirky mixes (particularly inept ending to "Eagle"). The drums sound like pillows hit with paper towel rolls heard through gauze.

Agree it's a great album. No title brought more excitement upon learning of a quad version, yet more disappointment upon listening.

Zabble is right about one bright spot: "Wild Mountain Honey". Terrific song and mix.

The music is a 10 to me, but like others have said about this CD, the quad mixes are quirky. Some good, and some fair. So i have to go with an overall score of 9. :)

Having never heard the original quad tape of this, I really like this disc. Great mix job, very good quality sound, and one of Steve's best album efforts.

:banana:

Attachments

• Steve Miller - Fly Like An Eagle DTS.jpg
    Steve Miller - Fly Like An Eagle DTS.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 633
This is a classic. A solid 9. My first copy was a Q8, which I still have. Imagine my surprise finding a new SMB release after 3 years, and in Quad! Hog heaven! Removed the wrapper and popped it into the Q8 in my '76 Buick Regal. It alternated with an auto reverse cassette on a slide mount. Cruising to Woodfield Mall with my girlfriend Sue. Shopping! Those were the days...

Have the DTS CD in a standard jewel box. It's all there frequency wise, though it sounds eq'd for tape. There was no SQ of this, or the Q8 would be decoded from that. lol!! Never noticed all that missing stuff, so I just popped it on. It's not there. I've had the Mofi 1/2 speed, Mercury Europe CD and Capitol w/DVD. I have heard thae missing stuff many times.

Linda
Used to Have a Mercury, and Cruise Up and Down This Road

I have to agree with the majority of posters here and give this cd a solid 9. Is it just me or does anyone else love dts cds as much as dvd audio cds. I find I get outstanding bass from my dts cds.

I have to agree with the majority of posters here and give this cd a solid 9. Is it just me or does anyone else love dts cds as much as dvd audio cds. I find I get outstanding bass from my dts cds.

I like it as much as PCM.
Sting's Nothing Like The Sun and Summoner's Tales are wonderful DTS-CDs.
Many people prefer also the DTS mixes for the Genesis SACDs. :)

Yes I have the peter Gabriel years of the genesis box and they all sound great as well as Stings sumoners tales And Bowies young Americans.

Back