MISC: Sansui X-1 QS Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
NOTE: I got this email with pictures from "Quad First", who asked me to post these pictures. SWEET!

Hi Guys, I just got this decoder in from Japan, it's an unusual model I hadn't seen before. It somewhat compares to the equally rare QS-01 (not the no-logic QS-1 which is pretty useless). There was also an X-2 model, which I also have, but that uses the QS Variomatrix IC's, whereas the X-1 and QS-01 are all discrete components, no ICs. As you can see, it has no switching for the decoding parameters, so I'd assume it's locked on full QS decoding, not synthesizing from stereo in surround or hall like you can select on the QSD-2. It's a single band decoder and performs pretty much like all of these: QS-01, QSD-2 and the units built into the QRX receivers. Being multi-voltage, it would seem as if Sansui sold these all over the world, not only in Japan. Both this unit and the QS-01 seem to have been introduced and discontinued very quickly for some reason, maybe because they took up your tape monitor loop with no switching to extend it, and had no decoding selection, but that's just speculation.

Anyway, thought I'd share photos and info on the unit

SANSUI QX-1

Rarity: ULTRA RARE

Average Sale Price: $?????

Attachments

• Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 1.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 239
More pictures from Nick:

Attachments

• Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 4.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 4.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 3.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 3.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 2.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 2.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 207
and even MORE pictures from Nick!

Attachments

• Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 10.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 10.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 9.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 9.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 8.jpg
    Sansui X-1 QS Decoder pic 8.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 218
Think this is pretty rare - look at the inside of front area, the false front was used elsewhere ????

Slot could be for an 8-track player, but unsure about what the 3-prong / 3-hole cutout could be for ?

Back