MISC: TASCAM PB-32R Patch Bay (32 Channel)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was looking for something like this and found this thing locally in a music store's used equipment section. Apparently it was part of someone's studio that got disassembled. It will work perfectly for me as I rebuild my upstairs "quad room". I am going to get a small 2U cabinet to put this in with my MOTU, and with my HK 8+, Quad Reel, Oppo and Cassette Deck (!)'s audio outputs routed to this patch bay, I will easily be able to connect whatever source I choose and patch it into MOTU channels 1-6.

This device is pretty basic. One in, One out. It's not as impressive as a Russound QT-1, but it will do the job. The TASCAM Patch Bays came in different configurations with regard to connectors. The 'R' model, like this one shown below, uses RCA connections - just what I needed.

Once I get the rack and all, I will post another picture, just to show how the PB can be used in real life. The AKAI Q4 is going to sit on top of the rack once I get it.
As they say, "Neat, sweet, and petite!" :)

FRONT
Tascam 1.jpg

REAR
Tascam 2.jpg

TOP (with MOTU)
Tascam 3.jpg

SIDE WITH MOTU
Tascam 4.jpg

This article is a good primer course in patch bay implementation.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/patchbays-modern-studio
I find rack mounted patchbays very useful, and there are several other signal path functionalities available for doing other clever and unexpected connectivity tasks. I’m not sure about normalled or half-normalled configurations in RCA only units, but for straight plug TRS variants, (1/4”, TT, Bantam, etc) there are many well built options.

This article is a good primer course in patch bay implementation.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/patchbays-modern-studio
I find rack mounted patchbays very useful, and there are several other signal path functionalities available for doing other clever and unexpected connectivity tasks. I’m not sure about normalled or half-normalled configurations in RCA only units, but for straight plug TRS variants, (1/4”, TT, Bantam, etc) there are many well built options.

Wow! What a great article. Thanks so much for that. There's a ton of good info there that will take me a few hours to digest. Never thought it was so complicated (if you want it to be) o_O

Yep, I have a couple of those Teac RCA patchbays from back in 1980 :)

I didn't know about 'normals' back then but these units don't have that capability sadly which is super useful.

Never seen an RCA patchbay before. Much more common to be TT (tiny telephone), which can be 3-conductor balanced (as opposed to 2-conductor unbalanced).

Back