MISC: TECHNICS 4 CHANNEL AFD SCOPE MK-II

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evel

IMG_8651.JPG
IMG_8644.JPG
IMG_8649.JPG

I have this four-channel scope from Technics. I haven't found any pictures or information about this device yet. Does anyone know?
Does anyone have any documents or a manual here?

OK.....just stop this madness please. How can you tempt this man any more without causing my insanity? Maybe only if you offered me a date with a young Barbara Eden could I be more tempted for such a magnificent wonder that you have presented to us. I need help o_O

It’s a bit of an odd thing. Clearly not a consumer bit of kit. I’m assuming therefore it was a piece of in-house development test gear. But it doesn’t appear to have any calibrated controls or graticule so you can’t actually make any real measurements with it, which would have rather limited its usefulness in that environment. I wonder if this one is the only one ever made (and what happened to the MK-I ??!)

Unfortunately I don't know how many of them there were. Obviously very, very little if no one has seen this before. I don't know whether there was an MK-I Version? What does AFD actually mean?

IMG_8654.JPG

Unfortunately I don't know how many of them there were. Obviously very, very little if no one has seen this before. I don't know whether there was an MK-I Version? What does AFD actually mean?

I guess there must have been a MK-I if this was labelled MK-II (maybe it didn't work though!)
That rear view confirms it was a bit of industrial equipment.
"AFD" meant "Acoustic Field Dimension" in Technics speak.

It was probably meant for technicians troubleshooting quad equipment. They could get an idea of what the four channels were producing. Totally a visual thing without need for real precision.

Doug

OK.....just stop this madness please. How can you tempt this man any more without causing my insanity? Maybe only if you offered me a date with a young Barbara Eden could I be more tempted for such a magnificent wonder that you have presented to us. I need help o_O

A young Barbara Eden. She was about the first gal who really made me aware I REALLY liked girls, at 11 years old.

Doug

A young Barbara Eden. She was about the first gal who really made me aware I REALLY liked girls, at 11 years old.

Doug

I have never been into the concept of human cloning, but if any woman ever deserved to be cloned it is Barbara Eden. Is that sexist? Who cares right 😀. And speaking of ‘cloning’, maybe the guys in Australia could clone this little bugger but with modern electronics and maybe a bit smaller package to go with their Surround Master. I just love the small footprint of this thing and it would be a great match to go with their “black box”. Paging Involve Audio.......are you there?

I have never been into the concept of human cloning, but if any woman ever deserved to be cloned it is Barbara Eden. Is that sexist? Who cares right 😀. And speaking of ‘cloning’, maybe the guys in Australia could clone this little bugger but with modern electronics and maybe a bit smaller package to go with their Surround Master. I just love the small footprint of this thing and it would be a great match to go with their “black box”. Paging Involve Audio.......are you there?
There's been some discussion with Chucky about the possibility of a graphical display panel on the much awaited Involve Super Surround Pre-Amp having a vector scope mode. Not sure if that's still a possibility or not.
(PS Who is 'Barbara Eden'?)

evel,

This looks like a similar display to the Heathkit Audio Scope model # AD-1013 which I have 2 of (one with a weak CRT if anyone wants to sell one?). I built mine in the 70s when Quad was somewhat big & now use it for phase + stereo quality checking my mixes & sources which it works great for. You can find details of this model scope by Googling the model & that will help explain the operation of your Panasonic likely as the quad display looks very similar to mine.

I am a retired electrical engineer & for my senior project in 1972, I designed & built a color music display based on a 21" round color CRT that was a popular size back then before rectangular CRTs replaced them. I now have two 19" Color CTR music displays I have in my audio room. I will try to get a short video posted on my YouTube channel showing them in action.

Rog

Rog, truth be told this is probably some kind of limited edition thing for dealers that was just a modified version of their SH-3433 model but in a different package. Like someone else said, it doesn’t appear to be a diagnostic tool as there are no probe connections on it. The thing that makes it special (to me at least) is the fact that it more visually appealing than the other scopes available to consumers in that it is not component shaped/size but more like some kind of add-on thing that sits off to the side.

To say that I would kill for one is a understatement. Well not really......but it does tweak my bizarre need for things that I really want but don’t really need.

Hi guys, thank you. I also think that the device went to dealers or authorized workshops for demonstration purposes or for smaller jobs in the repair shop. The way it works is clear as I also have the Heathkit AD-1013, the Panasonic / Technics SH-3433 and the JVC-MM. The tube is in any case greater than that of Heathkit. 6.5cm vs. 11.5cm.

Good morning,

I actually found another picture with a report about my Technics AFD Scope MK-II. Here in the HiFi Stereophonie from June 1973. Has anyone else been able to find anything about this scope here? Does anyone know the other devices from the pictures?

IMG_20231218_0004.jpg
IMG_20231218_0006.jpg
IMG_20231218_0007.jpg

Back