MISC: Technics SH-3434 Scope

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8trackman

TECHNICS- SH-3434

Rarity: Ultra Rare

Average Sale Price: UNKNOWN

Front

technics_sh_3434FRONT1.jpg

technicssh3434FRONT.jpg

Back

sh-34341BACK.jpg

if anyone has ever seen one on sale...how much do they go for?, I think it deserves to be separated from the sh-3433, I can add the sh 3433 if anyone disagrees

:xp:

Attachments

• Technics SH-3434.gif
    Technics SH-3434.gif
    72.1 KB · Views: 497
  • Technics SH-3434.jpg
    Technics SH-3434.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 517
Those of us who were... you know... young back then, were floored by this kind of stuff. Especially those of us who were electronically oriented!

"Ya, I'm pretty sure that came out of the left back channel. In fact, the scope proves it!"

Doug

Those of us who were... you know... young back then, were floored by this kind of stuff. Especially those of us who were electronically oriented!

"Ya, I'm pretty sure that came out of the left back channel. In fact, the scope proves it!"

Doug

heck I am 21 and I am floored by this............ I hate going into future shop and seeing only plastic black receivers+ and no other audio equipment except speakers

people only seem to care about the latest apple stuff now....but back to the sh 3434

any reason why these don't seem to exist anywhere? were they just expensive and everyone went for the sh 3433, instead?

I hate how Technics/Panasonic has so many versions of the basically the same item....they they further complicate things with the various brands.....National Panasonic, Panasonic, Technics.....

I will add the sh-3433 for comparison once I get a chance

Colin

If it seemed I was excluding you guys, I apologize. I think it is wonderful that young guys like you are as enthralled with quad these days as we were in the seventies.

Doug

If it seemed I was excluding you guys, I apologize. I think it is wonderful that young guys like you are as enthralled with quad these days as we were in the seventies.

Doug

no it didn't seem that way at all, I liked your story, I wish I could have been back at the time period...it would have been awesome to sit in on a demonstration with quad playing, I wonder where they put all demo tapes when the format died....well not died but was discontinued

I got a message from a guy who owns a sh-3434 and he bought his for $100.00!!!!!! he found it here, the yahoo auction site for Japan http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/.... I will have to make an account

unfortunately Japan has recently banned the sale of old electronics http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/22/japan-bans-old-electronics-as-of-april-1/

Wow, I have the 3433 didn't know there was another model. More switches on the 34 I see.

the 3434 has a a bunch of more stuff at the back too...I wonder how much stuff you could hook up

Last edited:
I notice that the 4-channel selector switch on the 3434 includes settings for "Natural", "Small Room", "Large Room" and "Stage". Perched above the switch are two rotary "Acoustic Field Dimension" knobs, one marked "Right & Left", the other marked "Front & Rear". Does anyone have any experience with the 4 switch settings (I suppost this is a RM matrix decoder), and how the rotary knobs affect each setting? My interest comes from my recent acquisition of a Technics SH-3400 4-channel Control Center, which includes the same decoder and switches as the 3434 - I've had it a few days but not yet had a chance to hook it up and play with it.

thanks from John

PS: check this link for a view of the front panel: http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/354/1713.html

and of front/back panel: http://audio-heritage.jp/TECHNICS/etc/sh-3400.html

Last edited:
Hello John, I wish I could help you.....I am a newb at all this unfortunately

one member might be able to help you though- cash68 owns a Technics SA 8500x the top of the line Technics quad, and he has a Technics SU-3404- a rare beast that is probably quite similar to yours

he hasnt logged on in awhile though

try audio karma I think he has an account there as well

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/310569/the-ultimate-vintage-technics-system - hes started a thread here

The SH-3434 is both a quad scope and a quad preamp (control center) in one. The only feature that the SH-3434 adds is the four-channel tape loop. SH-3400 control center has an output for quad tape, but no 4-ch tape monitor loop. The phono preamp is contained in the matching CD-4 demodulator.

I have an SH-3433 scope, labeled "Panasonic" that I bought with my tax refund check in 1976. Selling hi-fi back in the day, I was in awe of all this stuff, but was disgusted by all the incompatibilities and "format wars." It's no different today: greed and competing formats. I've had quad since 1971. "Drop your wad on quad!"

Linda

"Drop your wad on quad" Love it. This should have been the national campaign slogan in the 70s.

I have a 3433 and I enjoy it other than the fact that it doesn't have any outputs. The manual says to use up a tape monitor bay from your receiver, but that's not so great if you have TWO 4-channel tape decks (in my case a reel and Q8) so I didn't have a spare monitor bay to use. Luckily, I have twin EQ's with tape monitors/inputs for whatever reason and the outputs are ALWAYS active! That's how I managed to hook up my 'scope and still keep all my other goodies hooked up.

The SH-3434 is both a quad scope and a quad preamp (control center) in one. The only feature that the SH-3434 adds is the four-channel tape loop. SH-3400 control center has an output for quad tape, but no 4-ch tape monitor loop. The phono preamp is contained in the matching CD-4 demodulator.

I have an SH-3433 scope, labeled "Panasonic" that I bought with my tax refund check in 1976. Selling hi-fi back in the day, I was in awe of all this stuff, but was disgusted by all the incompatibilities and "format wars." It's no different today: greed and competing formats. I've had quad since 1971. "Drop your wad on quad!"

Linda

Hehe, I used my 1976 tax refund on equipment too. It wasn't specifically quad stuff (a Heathkit AA-29 amplifier and BIC 980 turntable) but that turntable, these days, gets the honors of playing CD-4 records through either an SE-405 or SH-400 demodulator, depending on what type of cartridge I'm using.

And the AA-29 amp is driving one of four pairs of Advents, stacked in each corner.

EDIT: I beg your pardon, Linda. Welcome to QQ!

Also, I would like to add something to this thread pertaining to the Technics scope but I don't know anything about it. \;^(

Doug

Last edited:
Back