Mix differences between SQ lp and Quad 8-track versions of the same recording.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how rumours or wrong notions get started. I suppose that confusion started as Quad Incorporated lists the SQ album as BS&T II for the SQ version but as BS&T for the stereo version version (with the Dyna track). The SQ copy is 100% SQ. One Dyna track "Spinning Wheel" is reported to be on the stereo LP.
And yes generally Canadian pressings are better than their US counterparts, possibly due to a lower production run?
Well Larry's Quad Inc was always the bible for me, although he would have been the first to admit that as soon as it was printed it was out of date. I saved all the quarterly updates for a long time but have long since lost them. Perhaps he corrected the info on BS and T Self titled in a subsequent update. I missed out on this LP in quad all these years thanks to him! LOL. Oh well. I am too old to hold a grudge. I have a great pressing of it now.

All I Can tell you is that all the rest fit on one Angel SQ LP. The ninth is a double album. Not that that is the same!

I'm shocked that people don't know the duration of Beethoven's symphonies!

You'll see from this typical 5 disc CD box set that, apart from the 9th, they are between 30 and forty minutes long. So with symphonies 1-8 totalling over four hours long you certainly can't get "all the rest on one LP"!!!

times.JPG

I'm shocked that people don't know the duration of Beethoven's symphonies!

You'll see from this typical 5 disc CD box set that, apart from the 9th, they are between 30 and forty minutes long. So with symphonies 1-8 totalling over four hours long you certainly can't get "all the rest on one LP"!!!

View attachment 56428
English is such a confusing language. I meant one LP each. And a double for the 9th. I have them all.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...ng-Engineer/70s/Recording-1973-12.pdf#page=21^^^
"It would therefore appear that previously mixed four track tapes cannot be optimally encoded through the SQ system"

"CBS further appears to draw a distinction between "correct" encoding, which we understand to be that which satisfies the SQ code, and "proper" encoding, which we understand to be that which will be decoded and perceived in the intended (optimum) location"

Anyone found any info on which SQ discs used the 4212 position encoder (the DVD of the Buddy Rich video has a behind the scenes extra that shows a position encoder being used for the SQ encoding)?

Kirk Bayne

All of the other Beethoven symphonies fit on one side of an LP.

I have the Angel SQ versions of Beethoven's synphonies 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Only the 9th requires more than one side.

All of the other Beethoven symphonies fit on one side of an LP.

I have the Angel SQ versions of Beethoven's synphonies 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Only the 9th requires more than one side.

Uhhhh... NO ....
Did I wake up in another dimension?
Well if I did, in the FORMER dimension I used to live in, the Beethoven I used to listen to was different.
Yes there are some of his Symphonies that have a duration of 20-30 mins (i.e. ONE side of an LP) the Pastoral 6th, the Heroic 3rd and the Heavy Metal 5th are the ones I can remember off of the top of my head..you see??? you made me reach for my primer in Ludwig Van...
The 9th one was the reason that the CD is around 75 mins long IIRC

Here you go...
https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-W...Complete-Beethoven-Symphonies/release/3426520

Even taken at a fair pace the absolute shortest of all of the symphonies is No.8 which typically romps home at about 25 mins. It is therefore a real problem to get even that one onto a single side of an LP. But this never troubled a part of the record industry that was rather more interested in profit than artistic integrity and whose archives are strewn with the wreckage of dubious and compromised 'interpretations' which were, shall we say, highly questionable. To save money, many such producers used hacked about and edited editions of the symphonies to cram them onto the minimum number of sides. This was a tradition of butchery that went back to the days of 78's when inconveniently long movements would be missed out all together. There were also conductors who were happily complicit in taking some of the works at any lick necessary for minimising the use of vinyl if their record contract so required it!

Last edited:
Back