Mike Keneally MK Question #4 - Dethklok Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popshop

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Very cool, Tim.
Mike, I saw you play with Dethklok in Denver. Did you find playing to a click and with visuals to be fun and rewarding, or did you tire of the lack of change night to night?
Where would you place that music in your experience, in terms of technical difficulty?

01/15/2021
Mike:
“Re: Dethklok - those shows were about the most fun thing ever, especially the 2009 tour with Mastodon which was honestly just an insane amount of fun both onstage and off. Top 3 lifetime touring experience and a lot of it was definitely the experience of playing the show, which was hugely powerful every night. In this context the consistency/predictability of the show every night was a positive thing, because I honestly think it was reliably fantastic every night in terms of the impact the presentation had on the audience, and how satisfying it was to play it.

Us guys in the front didn't really have to play to a click, in fact I was on wedges, not in-ears, and so I COULDN'T play to a click because it would have had to be pumped too loudly through my monitors and would have screwed with the sound coming off the stage. All I had to do was play along with Gene Hoglan, who HAD to be on click because Gene was the guy who was keeping us aligned with the visuals, which stayed running through the entire show - getting off-sync with the visuals would absolutely derail the entire show, and Gene was heroic in making sure we stayed aligned. All the rest of us had to do was strap ourselves to Gene's locomotive, which is gonna happen anyway if you're sharing a stage with the guy - what a tremendous force he has as a musician, man. Truly a groundbreaker in every way.”

Back