MMH - Split Side Long or Album Length FLACs to Song Files?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I don't understand why some MCH FLAC conversions I come across are side or full album length instead of being split to individual songs. Why not finish the job? <soapbox mode off> If I open these in Sound Forge I cannot save the split song files as FLAC, they have to be saved as WAV files. I keep requesting (Sony now MAGIX) to let me save MCH FLAC files but no feature change so far.

Opened the MMH Join or Split Audio feature but only managed to generate CUE files. Can I get what I want here and just don't know how? Thanks

I don't understand why some MCH FLAC conversions I come across are side or full album length instead of being split to individual songs. Why not finish the job? <soapbox mode off> If I open these in Sound Forge I cannot save the split song files as FLAC, they have to be saved as WAV files. I keep requesting (Sony now MAGIX) to let me save MCH FLAC files but no feature change so far.

Opened the MMH Join or Split Audio feature but only managed to generate CUE files. Can I get what I want here and just don't know how? Thanks
I just right click a cue file and have it opened with Foobar2K; and as long as the long side file is spelled out in the cue you can then convert to flac or wav in Foobar for the splits. Of course everything must be correct in the cue file or you get an error. When I do my own vinyl rips I just find the split locations in Audacity for the times I need. Hope this is what helps?

I just right click a cue file and have it opened with Foobar2K; and as long as the long side file is spelled out in the cue you can then convert to flac or wav in Foobar for the splits. Of course everything must be correct in the cue file or you get an error. When I do my own vinyl rips I just find the split locations in Audacity for the times I need. Hope this is what helps?
I generated a new cue file for a 30 min FLAC file and it still loads it as a single FLAC file. How do I split this? THX
EDIT: Maybe it can't detect gaps. Shrug.

When I use MMH Merge/Split Audio Files - Add Audio Files - I think it's defaulting to Merge. Output file is what I put in. It generated a full album FLAC with a slightly different file size. When I load it in Split it runs and says Complete.

Clearly don't know what I'm doing! I will wait for the maestro to instruct me as to what's possible.

Can you post your cue text or screenshot here and I should know from that?
This is all it says:
REM GENRE ""
REM DATE 1973
PERFORMER ""
TITLE "Life And Times (QUAD QS - CQD-40007)"
FILE "Jim Croce - 1973 - Life And Times - 4.0.flac" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE ""
PERFORMER "Jim Croce"
INDEX 01 00:00:00

This is all it says:
REM GENRE ""
REM DATE 1973
PERFORMER ""
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE ""
PERFORMER "Jim Croce"
Yup, there's nothing there to tell it what to do. I'm also going to PM you about this.

Here's a recent one I did; edit is just done in Notepad.

It's still a wav file, but you can specify flac also if need be.

Each split location must be specified on the "INDEX" line; and notice also that "TRACK" (song) 01 always starts as 00:00:00.
You can just add or subtract each TRACK section as needed.
It's also important to note that a time like 06:51:35 is actually 6 min. 51 sec. and (35 out of a total period of 75 frames not a partial of seconds!)
You also must spell out either WAVE or FLAC at the end of the FILE line for it to work.

REM GENRE Brass Band
REM DATE 1973
TITLE "Brass Band Plays Brass Rock"
PERFORMER "Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes"
FILE ".\BRASS BAND PLAYS BRASS ROCK (RM) -SIDE 1 ALL.wav" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Introduction"
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Get It On"
INDEX 01 06:51:35
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Theme From "Shaft""
INDEX 01 09:50:00
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Super Fly"
INDEX 01 12:51:00
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Spinning Wheel"
INDEX 01 16:56:40

The CD format created trouble way back with a restriction that track boundaries (index points) had to fall on 75 frame/sec boundaries. This has not and will never change. Early ripping apps didn't handle that correctly and you ended up with gaps breaking up tracks that were supposed to segue.

Early workarounds included:
Ripping the whole disc at once.
Split disc by only album side.
(Early CDs actually used track 1/2 for side 1/2 and used sub tracks for the songs which became obsolete later. Early whole side track rips could have come from this.)
And then the infamous 'cue' file system.
(This ripped the disc as a whole file and used a separate text file for the cues. Media players that supported the cue file let you navigate tracks that way.)

Fast forward 25 years.
Some media players will still recognize the cue file.
The XLD audio utility still recognizes cue files and will let you convert to individual files that preserve segues and index points correctly. Put the .cue file in the same folder as the audio file. Drag/drop the cue file onto XLD. I haven't played with the other direction in a million years (creating a cue file) but it's all still in there.

I know you're talking about a different app but maybe that helps or offers a clue?

This is all it says:
REM GENRE ""
REM DATE 1973
PERFORMER ""
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE ""
PERFORMER "Jim Croce"
Also in your cue example above, flac must be followed by FLAC after the files location and if it's wav it must say WAVE, not mixed. Once split in FOOBAR with the cue file, you can then convert it while opened up in FOOBAR.

Put the .cue file in the same folder as the audio file.
Yes, thanks Jim, that is also something that has to be done.

Also in your cue example above, flac must be followed by FLAC after the files location and if it's wav it must say WAVE, not mixed. Once split in FOOBAR with the cue file, you can then convert it while opened up in FOOBAR.

Yes, thanks Jim, that is also something that has to be done.

Okay, edited the CUE file to say FLAC instead of WAV. Opens the same single track in Foobar. I Convert ISOs in here all the time, I'm not sure the CUE file is buying me anything.
Yes the CUE files is in the same folder as the album FLAC.
If I have to build a CUE from, I'll leave this album in the 'Issues' folder and go on to do something else. [I'm spoiled]

The CD format created trouble way back with a restriction that track boundaries (index points) had to fall on 75 frame/sec boundaries. This has not and will never change. Early ripping apps didn't handle that correctly and you ended up with gaps breaking up tracks that were supposed to segue.

Early workarounds included:
Ripping the whole disc at once.
Split disc by only album side.
(Early CDs actually used track 1/2 for side 1/2 and used sub tracks for the songs which became obsolete later. Early whole side track rips could have come from this.)
And then the infamous 'cue' file system.
(This ripped the disc as a whole file and used a separate text file for the cues. Media players that supported the cue file let you navigate tracks that way.)

Fast forward 25 years.
Some media players will still recognize the cue file.
The XLD audio utility still recognizes cue files and will let you convert to individual files that preserve segues and index points correctly. Put the .cue file in the same folder as the audio file. Drag/drop the cue file onto XLD. I haven't played with the other direction in a million years (creating a cue file) but it's all still in there.

I know you're talking about a different app but maybe that helps or offers a clue?
Thanks maybe this was an older rip, I'll look for another version that doesn't require monkey business to get the desired effect.

Okay, edited the CUE file to say FLAC instead of WAV. Opens the same single track in Foobar. I Convert ISOs in here all the time, I'm not sure the CUE file is buying me anything.
Yes the CUE files is in the same folder as the album FLAC.
If I have to build a CUE from, I'll leave this album in the 'Issues' folder and go on to do something else. [I'm spoiled]
Yeah, it takes some work because you have to know exactly at what point between songs and specify so FOOBAR knows where to spit -er split.
Maybe what MMH is doing is just for standardized digital stuff. You can get times for a lot of songs off the release info at discogs, but they won't be exact for a vinyl rip. Some songs have very quick changes from song to song as we know and the really hard ones are the ones that are basically continuous musically.
And IIRC if you have an oppo (I think you've got a 103?) you can set it for gapless play for some of these continuous type songs and it should play as such on those. :unsure:

Thanks, if this was a rare import title, I'd invest the time and effort. I already have Jim Croce hits and other 2 albums, Frankly I was just being a completest with this one, so not worth my time.

I have the same issue with some rips I have both in flac and wav complete CD files that sometimes even have their own cue file. In foobar it will split them into tracks while playing. Have tried using MMH to permanently split them into tracks but without success. As Timbre4 mentioned have only been able to create cue files?

Back