Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Music Direct shipped mine, too. Hopefully, it will show up tomorrow.

That's right, you're 'the girl next door, Linda!' BTW, does Music Direct have a showroom or retail store in Chicago? And BTW, isn't MoFi supposedly going to release Paul Simon's 'Still Crazy After All These Years' as a stereo SACD?

In Stock and Now Shipping from Music Direct.

Iron Butterfly - Now Shipping.png

I love the weblink for this one at Music Direct.
They do have a sense of humor.... :)
https://www.musicdirect.com/optical...est-hits-numbered-limited-edition-hybrid-sacd

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Detected a few things that were perhaps lost in the mud previously. A plus.

Still, there is much distortion, both intentional and some perhaps unintentional.

If you like this album, YOU NEED IT!

Beneath the surface of the mud,
there's more mud here...
surprise. - David Crosby

MoFi's usual superb SACD reissue remastered at DSD256 from the original master tapes. Probably the best it's ever going to sound.

Couldn't agree more. Detected a few things that were perhaps lost in the mud previously. A plus.

Still, there is much distortion, both intentional and some perhaps unintentional.

My guess is that some of the distortion on the SACD was intended (as you say).
There have been a couple of prior SACD releases where a band or musician inquired on how to keep/add distortion to upcoming SACD releases. This is likely yet another example of that.... :)

Mine arrived as well. Can't wait to get a chance to compare the SACD to the MoFi original master Ultra CD that I have! Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the exact version, only mastered on SACD instead of CD.
I doubt that the new version uses the Gold CD mastering. The new edition was mastered by Rob LoVerde - I don't believe he was working for MFSL when the Gold CD was mastered.

According to a post on the Steve Hoffman Forum, the new SACD edition bests the Gold CD from MFSL from years prior.

Just received the SACD. On first listen, it sounds very very good- the SACD is more detailed, and it has better imaging that the MFSL Gold CD. -- AJH

The SACD is very crankable. I sold my MFSL Gold Disc awhile ago so I can’t compare it to the new SACD, but from memory the Gold Disc comes in a distant second. -- Good Boy Fred

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...-gadda-da-vida-mfsl-hybrid-sacd.891602/page-4

"nick99nack" on the Hoffman forum noted that some channels are reversed (!):

Mine came today, # 143. First things first: This is not an audiophile album. Anyone who's ever heard it knows that. However, after a full listen, this will be my go-to copy from now on
:)
. I have a feeling some may find this mastering too dull on some tracks, but to me, there is a depth to the sound that I've never heard on this album. The vocals shine here - they have the "breath of life", so to speak. In that regard, it's a winner in my book. Now, the odd part. Three tracks seem to have reversed channels: "Most Anything You Want", "Are You Happy", and the title track all have the channels backwards from what they normally are. Anyone else notice this?

I received my Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida stereo SACD #44 of 2000.
I loved this recording and can actually hear a few small things I don't remember hearing before, the drum solo is awesome.
I compared it a little to Audio Fidelity's Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptom, similar with that distortion type of sound and this Iron Butterfly superior to the Blue Cheer.

Last edited:
Back