Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely agree with you, I always jump at the chance. I think they have a little sneaky thing however, that I have noticed.
When they are released I like to buy from MOFI direct, shipping is fast, packaging always good, and not that it should matter i will get a lower release number which satisfies the collector in me.
That said, they charge $7.99 in shipping, which is expensive.
What I have noticed is they usually release in pairs, but a week apart.
I am not saying on purpose, but $7.99 X 2 is now really significant.
Last week when Paul Simon was released, I thought, I'm going to wait and see what happens, but I pulled the trigger anyway, thinking my theory is probably wrong.
Sure enough this week they release Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky.
My gut was correct.
I did not purchase as I have the BD-A surround version.

And you didn't even mention local sales tax, Markie ....so that disc set you back 40 smackers! I ordered Still Crazy from Elusive disc along with other a few other much anticipated titles to satisfy their $99 free s/h fee and they didn't even charge me sales tax [8.375%]. I do believe Dutton Vocalion has spoiled us all as I do feel their Stereo SACD remasters are every bit on parity with all the U.S. reissue companies .... but of course, they're not privy to the Columbia and Warner titles which MoFi is....which IS the trade~off!

And ironically, the Alan Parson's Project stand alone BD~A of Eye in the Sky only set me back $15 and sounds EXCEPTIONAL in surround ...... Why spend $30 for MoFi's Stereo SACD unless of course you are a COMPLETIST!

And the numbering of Stereo SACDs [and even Gold CDs] is a 'vanity thing' as that tradition harked back to the days of vinyl pressings when numbers did matter as a LOW number meant it was closer to the metal stamper which did ensure increased quality in reproduction. Not so as pertains to digital!

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, I always jump at the chance. I think they have a little sneaky thing however, that I have noticed.
When they are released I like to buy from MOFI direct, shipping is fast, packaging always good, and not that it should matter i will get a lower release number which satisfies the collector in me.
That said, they charge $7.99 in shipping, which is expensive.
What I have noticed is they usually release in pairs, but a week apart.
I am not saying on purpose, but $7.99 X 2 is now really significant.
Last week when Paul Simon was released, I thought, I'm going to wait and see what happens, but I pulled the trigger anyway, thinking my theory is probably wrong.
Sure enough this week they release Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky.
My gut was correct.
I did not purchase as I have the BD-A surround version.

I have to say that I don't understand buying from MoFi over Music Direct...as far as those numbers go...they don't mean anything and have no value...and by getting them early...you do pay more for shipping....I started liking Music Direct because I got sick and tired of Acoustic $ounds...Music Direct was vastly cheaper and you could actually talk to someone that would help you....this "numbering" is sorta a pet peeve with me....Audio Fidelity did the same thing and they had the infamous "subscriptions"...which you paid to be a member and were supposed to get it early....

I have to say that I don't understand buying from MoFi over Music Direct...as far as those numbers go...they don't mean anything and have no value...and by getting them early...you do pay more for shipping....I started liking Music Direct because I got sick and tired of Acoustic $ounds...Music Direct was vastly cheaper and you could actually talk to someone that would help you....this "numbering" is sorta a pet peeve with me....Audio Fidelity did the same thing and they had the infamous "subscriptions"...which you paid to be a member and were supposed to get it early....

Am in total agreement, Clinty [especially regarding the numbering....see my post #381]. And not to sound like a cheapskate, but I always waited for Music Direct's 15 and 20% off sales bi~yearly and always opted for free s/h.

IMO, paying $40 for a single Stereo SACD is highway robbery ...... when one considers individual shipping charges AND LOCAL TAX!

Heck, even the new ECM Stereo SHM~SACDs pressed in Japan are currently under $28!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGU-9061

Last edited:
Just picked up the Beck Sea Change MOFI. I love this album and have had the DVD-A since release. After reading about the mastering by MOFI I had to get this to compare,

Sonically the DVD-A definitely resolves better. However I do like the way this master portrays the instruments. It’s cool to that some little extra things like count in’s by the band were left on the disc. Still prefer the surround and hi Rez but fun to compare,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 90
Just finished listening to Eagles-Desperado, stereo MOFI Hybrid SACD, #3744.
DR's are 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's.
If you have the original CD like I do then do not buy this Hybrid SACD, you will be wasting your money like I did. Nothing gained and nothing lost between the two.
DR's are almost exactly the same.
R-22618694-1648061575-1199.jpg

Here is someone else's observation. Guess it depends on your system.

Just listened to the MoFi SACD of "Desperado," and have compared the CD layers of the MoFi SACD and the Asylum CD. For dimensionality, air, balance, and space, the MoFi blows away the Asylum CD which, I think, is a flat transfer. A prime example is the opening of "Doolin Dalton." The acoustic guitar begins full front in the left speaker, and then the harmonica appears in the right speaker, but is conspicuously recessed toward the rear with a lot of air around it ... you can hear the dichotomy as both instruments play and it gives a true sense of atmosphere and separation. That doesn't exist on the Asylum CD. Also, the MoFi has nicely balanced bass overall, whereas bass on the Asylum CD is somewhat boomy. This holds true throughout both versions. "Desperado" is my favorite Eagles album and I'm stoked at how good it sounds on the MoFi SACD.

I'm quite happy with the Japanese HDCD of DEJA VU, but wonder if there is one of their first in that format. I'll probably buy this one as I don't have the Audio Fidelity version of it :rolleyes:.
Yes, it was released in 2006 along with most of the core CSN(Y) catalogue remastered in HDCD by Stanley Johnston:
https://www.discogs.com/release/629218-Crosby-Stills-Nash-Crosby-Stills-NashThat's just one of the US pressings. If you filter the master release by "HDCD," you'll find eight total.

I just want to expand a bit on The James Gang Rides Again. I took a second listen last night to this stereo only MOFI Hybrid SACD release and it is so beautiful, recorded obviously very well back in the day, the musical performance is so relaxing and good. Every once in awhile I get surprised and this is quite a joy.
View attachment 29118
Love this record soooooo much. Such a pity it wasn't mixed in multichannel as well.

They where both released previously in 2012 by MOFI as I have them. Also, my new rule for anything MOFI, do not order Pre Order or Coming Soon.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4402652-Miles-Davis-Sketches-Of-Spain
https://www.discogs.com/release/3749728-Miles-Davis-Milestones
Hmm. I hadn’t yet gotten into better quality recordings, so MoFi wasn’t on my radar in 2012. Is it outside the norm for them to reissue something like this? I don’t see any indication with the new listings that something is new/improved, so just a straight reissue?

I’m feeling the same about MoFi (and Acoustic Sounds) pre-orders. When I found out the Van Halen discs will come out only one at a time, I only pre-ordered the first one just to ensure I didn’t miss it. But all 6 at one? Not any more with MoFi.

Back