Mobile Fidelity reissuing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has MFSL ever done a surround disc? I'm pretty sure they are anti-multi channel.

They've done a few, mostly classical but their GAIN 2 mastering chain is set up for STEREO replication and the few Multi Channel SACDs they did do required farming them out to external mastering facilities equipped for Multi Channel!

They did the first Cowboy Junkies album in multi channel. There may have been a couple of others.

That was the one and only Rock title and it was from an ambisonic master.
Cowboy Junkies: Whites Off Earth Now!!

SACD

The first preorder I've done from Mobile Fidelity for many years. I've been wondering for quite some time, as to whether I'd ever fork out for the old non-hybrid SACD going for hundreds of dollars on Discogs. There was even quite a bit of discussion as to whether that version actually sounded any good. But now it's sorted. $62.13, including DHL shipping + another $30 in import fees to Norway, now seems like a bargain! This will sell out.

The old SACD is excellent - as is the original vinyl. My guess is, at best, you’ll just be getting a different flavor of excellent.

Has MFSL ever done a surround disc? I'm pretty sure they are anti-multi channel.
Is MFSL anti-Multichannel - or are they anti-extra costs and challenges and limited return on Mch?

My sense is MFSL is pro-“making money”.

I do know Intervention Records is on the record about not being interested in Mch.

Is MFSL anti-Multichannel - or are they anti-extra costs and challenges and limited return on Mch?

My sense is MFSL is pro-“making money”.

I do know Intervention Records is on the record about not being interested in Mch.

I was told in order to do a multichannel SACD, the licensing company is tasked with multiple licensing fees: One for the RBCD layer, one for the Stereo SACD layer and one for the multichannel layer...which can add considerably not to mention the mastering of all three.

Moderator bmoura once said Audio Fidelity when they decided to transition from Stereo SACD to Multichannel, had to pay upwards of $30K for each disc in licensing fees and royalties.

I was told in order to do a multichannel SACD, the licensing company is tasked with multiple licensing fees: One for the RBCD layer, one for the Stereo SACD layer and one for the multichannel layer...which can add considerably not to mention the mastering of all three.

Moderator Bmoura once said Audio Fidelity when they decided to transition from Stereo SACD to Multichannel, it cost upwards of $30K for each disc in licensing fees and royalties.
As I wrote...anti-extra cost and pro-profit.

As I wrote...anti-extra cost and pro-profit.

As all these 'boutique' discs ARE pressed in LIMITED QUANTITIES, that's a helluva an outlay and not all those limited editions sell out!

Of course money's a factor! It's a business not a charity!

MOST unfortunately, it put Audio Fidelity out of business...after releasing roughly 35 multichannel SACDs!

As all these 'boutique' discs ARE pressed in LIMITED QUANTITIES, that's a helluva an outlay and not all those limited editions sell out!

Of course money's a factor! It's a business not a charity!
Someone said they were anti-mulrichannel. My point was they aren’t anti-Multichannel per se any more than they are anti-“obscure album which wouldn’t be profitable”.

When I wrote extra cost I was referring to the additional licensing, mastering, etc. costs - and the resulting bite out of their margin.

Someone said they were anti-mulrichannel. My point was they aren’t anti-Multichannel per se any more than they are anti-“obscure album which wouldn’t be profitable”.

When I wrote extra cost I was referring to the additional licensing, mastering, etc. cost.

Multi channel will ALWAYS remain a niche market......Analogue Productions, MoFi and now Intervention Records would prefer to sell their boutique 180/200g Vinyl pressings and as you state are VERY selective about what they do release. Relative newcomer, Impex Records which is likewise pro vinyl has released one title [Patricia Barber CLIQUE] in Multi channel SACD but we'll see how long that lasts.

Multi channel will ALWAYS remain a niche market......Analogue Productions, MoFi and now Intervention Records would prefer to sell their boutique 180/200g Vinyl pressings and as you state are VERY selective about what they do release. Relative newcomer, Impex Records which is likewise pro vinyl has released a scant few titles in Multi channel SACD but we'll see how long that lasts.
Intervention also doesn’t do multichannel because they simply don’t like it, i.e. anti-multichannel

Intervention also doesn’t do multichannel because they simply don’t like it, i.e. anti-multichannel

Correct: Proprietor Shane Buettner has made that ABUNDANTLY CLEAR! And what few multi~CH SACDs Analogue Productions has released were actually extant multichannel titles [i.e. The Doors, Blood Sweat and Tears, Norah Jones].

The old SACD is excellent - as is the original vinyl. My guess is, at best, you’ll just be getting a different flavor of excellent.

The old SACD has some glitches (funny little spikes that actually put it out of SACD spec with regard to some peak levels. It can be cleaned up with a tool like Audacity, but it is the only SACD I've seen with those bizarre spike in the wave form.

Back