Mobile Fidelity selecting CD-4 & WEA Group selecting CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://www.discogs.com/release/105...s-Of-Southern-Railway-Steam-Engines-In-Motion
I happened to see this album at a record store in downtown Des Moines IA in 1973-02, discogs says it was released in 1972, but the WEA group didn't select CD-4 until 1973-01.

I don't recall any specific announcement that Mobile Fidelity Productions had selected CD-4 (also, the WEA group Quadradisc logos aren't used, only a generic CD-4 QUADRADISC label).

Anyone know the timeline of Mobile Fidelity CD-4 and the WEA group CD-4 (these 1972 CD-4 discs must have been mastered by RCA since the JVC [CD-4] cutting center didn't open until 1973-04)?

Kirk Bayne

The album itself may have come out in 1972 which is also the year they had to start marking phonographic copyright markings ℗. I would imagine, since those on the inside were aware Warner Group was going to be utilizing the CD-4 format, they'd probably started gearing up and producing records to be ON SALE as of the announcement in January, 1973. The decision had probably been made months prior, it just simply had not been known to the public until that time.

Thinking back about seeing this album at the record store, my revised memory was that it was a WEA group title, but seeing the discogs entry, I remembered that there wasn't any WEA group info on the album cover.

Companies backing CD-4 seemed very interested in promoting that more record companies were choosing CD-4, I'm just a little surprised that there wasn't any official announcement that MoFi Productions (apparently not associated with the WEA group until sometime in 1973) had selected CD-4.

Kirk Bayne

Back