HiRez Poll Moby - REPRISE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Moby - REPRISE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new release from Moby entitled "Reprise".
The album has been mixed in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, and the release has LOTS of extra video content, including the full documentary film "Moby Doc".
The Dolby Atmos mix is also streaming on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/reprise/1557914502
(y) :) (n)

71fuMvENY9L._SL1500_.jpg

71lbimqrV3L._SL1200_.jpg

81oHx4HpYYL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new release from Moby entitled "Reprise".
The album has been mixed in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos, and the release has LOTS of extra video content, including the full documentary film "Moby Doc".
The Dolby Atmos mix is also streaming on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.

(y) :) (n)

71fuMvENY9L._SL1500_.jpg

71lbimqrV3L._SL1200_.jpg

81oHx4HpYYL._SL1500_.jpg
Thanks rtbluray, I hadn't heard about this. Giving it an audition on the YouTube now.

God Moving Over the Face of the Waters sounds good. Heat, man. De Niro and Pacino best buds. "Told you I was never goin' back". Awesome.

Got a chance to demo the 5.1 mix at a friend's house. Underwhelming. Not enough spreading for the content, IMO.

Have to agree Mr. Afternoon. While the content is pleasant enough, slapping the Dolby Atmos moniker on this ambient only disc is a sham. Unfortunately, DGG has been releasing quite a few BD~As of their Classical Music with DOLBY ATMOS 'pretensions' only to realize in 5.1 and ATMOS .... it's ambient ONLY.

Now IF ONLY MOBY would order a FRESH DISCRETE REMIX of his classic PLAY, he'd make all of his many fans Happier Campers!

A 7 from me!

Have to agree Mr. Afternoon. While the content is pleasant enough, slapping the Dolby Atmos moniker on this ambient only disc is a sham. Unfortunately, DGG has been releasing quite a few BD~As of their Classical Music with DOLBY ATMOS 'pretensions' only to realize in 5.1 and ATMOS .... it's ambient ONLY.

Now IF ONLY MOBY would order a FRESH DISCRETE REMIX of his classic PLAY, he'd make all of his many fans Happier Campers!

A 7 from me!
Do you have a Amos setup? If not, how can you tell how it sounds in Atmos? To me it sounds real good in Atmos, gave it 9. :cool:

I respectfully disagree with proclaiming this as a simply “ambient” mix.

This a sneaky subtle Atmos mix. Love it!
A gorgeous chill out album.

While the music could fall into the genre of ambient, the Atmos mix is plenty discrete.

Samples:
The first track (Everlong) begins with acoustic guitars and humming primarily in the front left for about a minute. Then a piano appears in right front, Snare rim click in the center, synth in the rear left. Then an ambient swing into the rear right. A overall ambient piece but certainly discrete.

The second track (Natural Blues) is a more straightforward track. A bluesly vocal from the two singers over a slight techno/rock beat.
The background vocals sit in the height speakers. The synth melody sneakily works around the room from speaker to speaker.

Go, the third track is a precision driven track with shakers in the rears and electronic bongos and chants layered to each of the channels. An ominous synth movement comes out of right rear leading into a percussion break in the center speaker.

Near the end of “Extreme Ways”, Moby’s vocals are sent to the height speakers for a really good Atmos moment. Likewise in Lift Me Up, the background vocal chants at the end are distorted and sent to the height speakers.

Granted some of the songs are minimalistic to begin with ….
But I think if you simply dismiss the surround mix as underwhelming, I feel you may have missed some of the subtle touches applied to these songs.

The track Lonely Night has a a guest vocal by Kris Kristofferson who recites his lines in a husky, weathered fashion in the center speaker while acoustic guitars and synths work to surround the vocals in a way that makes them feel more isolated.

One brief disappointment.
I would have liked something more out of the cover version of Bowie’s Heroes but not sure what that should sound like. The beginning of the song is mostly focused on the front speakers and as the song progresses it rolls into the rears kind of like a wave coming into the shore. Subtle (there is that word again) but I think that was the point.

The sonics are lush. The instrumentation sounds pristine while the vocals are given a rougher counterbalance.

The whole album has a more classical/electronica vibe like Max Richter or Olafur Arnalds as opposed to what Moby does on Play.

The disc’s menu is formatted with the same Pure Audio template used in Loreena McKennitt’s The Visit blu-ray.

I don’t see an actual credit for the Atmos or DTS mix in the packaging. It indicates that tracks 1-14 were mixed by Alan Meyerson and tracks 15 & 16 by Moby.

My system is a 5.1.2 with Atmos height speakers.

My vote is a 9

Last edited:
I think this a interesting because all the songs are a different arrangement from what I was use to but regardless if is more of a chilled out version of his music and I like what I heard. I found to my ears a more focused front sounding cd. I would call it discrete little because there is definitely something going on in the rear just not much and the Atmos does give this album space to breathe. I agree with what Splinter wrote and would give this a 9

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Atmos mix on this.
I’d bought the CD version last year and only found out about the Blu-Ray version this week!
A much richer sonic experience overall, plus I have to admit to being won over by the stunning version of Heroes featuring Mindy Jones.

This isn’t my normal type of music
This isn’t a rock album
This wasn’t mixed by Steven Wilson
But it is a brilliant album and mix
10 from me
For anyone on the fence there’s plenty going on in all speakers, not sure why anyone would say there isn’t

Back