Modern all in one H T receivers = LAME

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a mid priced HT receiver for all my quadraphonic (as well as SACD, DVD-A, dtsCD) listening and find that it plays as loud as I have ever wanted it to play.
Same here. When my system was first set up, it was in a carpeted living room measuring 16' x 19' with an 8' ceiling and large openings on both sides. Along with the sub, there were four speakers with 8" woofers used as satellites and all with 91dB SPL efficiency ratings. The sats were powered by a $400/26lb Technics SA-DA8 receiver with the typical over-optimistic "100 watt x 5" rating.

Even using a really low-efficiency Realistic Minimus 77 (IIRC 84dB) as a center channel for experimentation pursposes (I normally run the receiver in phantom center mode), I never turned that mechanical volume knob past the 11:00 position for any movie or surround title, unless it was for immature demo purposes. :D FYI: at that position the resulting output was still clean/non-distorted. And this is being written by a person that listens to albums by Black Flag, Sonic Youth, NOFX etc so I'm not exactly into the dentist-office-volume-level way of listening.

Hrm. I guess my amps show their wattage then. :p

I have a big ass quad technics (36 watts per channel) hooked up to 4 huge towers, and when watching a movie, I have to turn the thing almost all the way up if I want things nice and loud. That said, I don't really think I'd ever want it much louder, so it's no big deal. :)

The Outlaw Audio 7900 and the Sunfire 7400 were linked above. $500 more for the Outlaw which weighs in at a whopping 145lbs, the Sunfire weighs 40lbs......curious I would say! I think I would pay the extra $500!

Outlaw Audio has their preamps on sale, nether the 970 or the 990 support hdmi so I bet we can expect some new models soon. When they do catch up I'll bet the 970 and the 990 will be even cheaper. If hdmi is not needed in your set up it might be the way to go for a great preamp.

The Outlaw Audio 7900 and the Sunfire 7400 were linked above. $500 more for the Outlaw which weighs in at a whopping 145lbs, the Sunfire weighs 40lbs......curious I would say! I think I would pay the extra $500!

Different types of amplifier design. Sunfire's Tracking Downconverter is the defining factor in the weights of the two units. It is explained at the bottom of page 3. Highly efficient, more power, less heat, less money, you decide.

http://www.sunfire.com/pdf/Sunfire_Amplifier_Whitepaper.pdf

As a bonus, the Sunfire amps give you the choice between voltage source outputs or current source outputs, which are said to be better suited for electrostat and planer speakers.

Yea Dennis it sounds great and I was a big Phase Linear fan back when but the math is scetchy for me, maybe you can explain it to me.
110 x 20 amps= 2800 watts or something like that max for your whole house, alot less at the plug when running all the stuff that is powered in our homes.

Modern power amp wattage probably 75% at best of what the power consuption is, which is 1800 watts for the 7400. 400 watts per channel x 7 = 2800 watts. 1800 watts/ by 75% =1350/ by 7 = 192.8 watts per channel at best. you guys know I'm no tech but it just doesn't add up. The Outlaw needs two plugs to get to 2880 watts of consuption again scetchy math here too but at least it's got 2 plugs to power the beast.

Last edited:
Back