Modern AVRs Combining 7.1-Ch. Analog Input w/Room Correction?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoker

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Are there any modern AVRs—meaning HDMI 2.0+ inputs/outputs, support for object-based immersive formats—that actually digitize their 7.1-channel analog inputs so that they can benefit from the built-in room correction?

I just found out my otherwise cromulent Marantz SR6014 does not. According to the manual (at nearly the very bottom of that page):

• The sound mode cannot be set if the input mode is set to “7.1CH IN”.

Indeed, when a source is configured to use the 7.1 RCA inputs, the only options are "Pure" and "Pure Direct," neither of which engage the built-in Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction. When I bought it, I assumed it would do... Shame on me.

So, are there any comparable models that do? Or any at all, really, at any price point? Or would I need to step up to a dedicated processor from the likes of Trinnov to get such capability?

Last edited:
On a set of 7.1 analog inputs? They almost all do it for stereo.

Now that you mention it, that's what I'm thinking of- getting RC and using DPL on my turntable. I've never used the MCH inputs on my Integra. I used them on my Denon, to check out DSD converted straight to analog and the reason I rarely used that was because I didn't want to give up RC. My bad.

Hmmm, I’ll have to check my Marantz 7701’s manual to see if it corrects the 7.1 analog inputs. I thought it did, but now you’ve cast doubt. Yeah, it’s not Atmos compatible like you asked, but it has those inputs.

Are there any modern AVRs—meaning HDMI 2.0+ inputs/outputs, support for object-based immersive formats—that actually digitize their 7.1-channel analog inputs so that they can benefit from the built-in room correction?

I just found out my otherwise cromulent Marantz SR6014 does not. According to the manual (at nearly the very bottom of that page):

Indeed, when a source is configured to use the 7.1 RCA inputs, the only options are "Pure" and "Pure Direct," neither of which engage the built-in Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction. When I bought it, I assumed it would do... Shame on me.

So, are there any comparable models that do? Or any at all, really, at any price point? Or would I need to step up to a dedicated processor from the likes of Trinnov to get such capability?
Maybe Anthem? Not sure tho. I’m definitely not AVR fluent

My Marantz 7013 doesn't seem to do this either. I feed the output of my Bose 4401 quad preamp into the 4 channels of the analog inputs but I have to use the preamps tone controls. Also to get more bass, I tried Y ing the FL and FR into the analog sub inputs. I get bass, but also some midrange feeding into the two 18" Gauss subs. I guess I need a low pass filter at the sub input? Fortunately an 18" speaker doesn't do midrange well.

Just my experience:

I'm using 7.1CH IN in my Denon 8500 as input for the Involve Surround Master V3.

I was afraid that the sound of the Surround Master would be too weak, because the lack of EQ tone controls, DEQ, and bass management.

But with the help of the Surround Master setting 4.1 generating LFE channel, I really get a very clean and Bass enough sound. No Auddyssey room correction and it sounds really good enough!

Just my experience:

I'm using 7.1CH IN in my Denon 8500 as input for the Involve Surround Master V3.

I was afraid that the sound of the Surround Master would be too weak, because the lack of EQ tone controls, DEQ, and bass management.

But with the help of the Surround Master setting 4.1 generating LFE channel, I really get a very clean and Bass enough sound. No Auddyssey room correction and it sounds really good enough!
I'm glad that you have a solution. With my setup, I have Zone 2 analog of the Marantz SR7013 feeding the SM v2. The Zone 2 tone controls set for a 4dB bass boost as a reference point for a tonally balanced presentation. (Marantz tone controls are suble.)

It looks like the MiniDSP DDRC-88A (w/DDRC-88BM plugin) may be the only "affordable" solution on the market for multichannel analog room correction and bass management. Nearly $1200 all-in certainly isn't cheap, but it beats a high-end processor.

(There is also the Dayton Audio DSP-408, which appears to have the right features at a much lower price, but without the convenience of the automated Dirac Live measurement and correction process. You'd need to use Room EQ Wizard to find the right values and then enter them manually into the Dayton software. I presume it also has many fewer filters to work with at only 10 per channel.)

Last edited:
It looks like the MiniDSP DDRC-88A (w/DDRC-88BM plugin) may be the only "affordable" solution on the market for multichannel analog room correction and bass management. Nearly $1200 all-in certainly isn't cheap, but it beats a high-end processor.

(There is also the Dayton Audio DSP-408, which appears to have the right features at a much lower price, but without the convenience of the automated Dirac Live measurement and correction process. You'd need to use Room EQ Wizard to find the right values and then enter them manually into the Dayton software. I presume it also has many fewer filters to work with at only 10 per channel.)
I was considering the DDRC-88A at one time. IIRC it only has 8 available filters, not including the bass management function, which is separate.

Also, until you get into the stratosphere price wise, nearly all of these devices have a limited internal processing sample rate. For the DDRC-88A, it is 48kHz. I cant determine what it is for the Dayton unit, but it might well be something less. Dirac itself can only process 48kHz

You have to kind of wonder what the heck Sony is doing? As much as I'd like to hear what that new Denon AVR-A1H (or similar) will do with 360 Reality Audio; I'm left baffled by the fact they're getting it licensed into other companies AVR's, but from a search I did this morning, didn't see it in any of their own AVR's. I honestly don't believe 360RA has much of a future, especially with that kind of spotty support. They should just throw in the towel now IMO, before they get too deep, and go ahead and embrace Atmos. I believe Atmos is here to stay.

"Betamax" anyone?

Back