Modern AVRs Combining 7.1-Ch. Analog Input w/Room Correction?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just window shopping when I ran across this Rotel. It's way out of my price range. That said, it fit most of my needs and wants. I insist on multichannel analogue inputs (which narrows down selection considerably), don't need Dolby Atmos, have never used or needed a line level out, and it's not too big to fit into my shelf space. It also dispenses with the many AVR add-ons that I have no use for, seems to be built with high quality components, and comes with a 5 year warranty.

I really don't use Dirac or any other "room correction" software. I just set up with an SPL meter. I only brought it up because the poster was looking for multichannel analogue room correction and it seemed this might fit the bill. Of course we all have different wants, so whatever works for me may be wrong for someone else. If I had the money to burn I would snatch it right up, but alas, I have no money tree in my backyard.

Pre out is to go to power amps and will be subject to the volume control. Line level is fixed, I currently use a tape loop output but those are a thing of the past. My Dynaudio Xeo3 remote wireless speakers have their own remote control including volume, and in the kitchen with the extractor fan on they often need to be turned up a bit. Going up and down with the AVR volume control is no use for that.
Owen, would this work for you?
Emotiva UMC-200 Preamp/Processor

I have reccomended it to several people in the past. I own one and still use it regularly for non-Atmos material. I think it fills all your requirements, and they can be found used for very reasonable prices. It is an amazing bargain for what it does and the quality it offers.

7.1 analog inputs
full set of HDMI inputs
does DPLII
Small form factor
has 2 additional line level zones

You would need a power amp.

I'd need a power amp which fits within my height restriction when stacked with the processor, I don't have anywhere else to put a power amp. Also I'm wary of pre power solutions, when I had one in the past I could not eliminate mains hum pickup on the low signal level pre to power connections. Balanced connections might eliminate it but this doesn't have them. I never worked out where the problem was being introduced, but I do live within 10m of a substation so it might just be radiated field being picked up. I tried all sorts of earthing experiments, eventually I just gave up on pre power.

This stacks nicely. Does it fit? I use this same amp to power my Atmos heights. You can find these used for about $400. It also comes in more and less channels if desired.

BasX A5 Five-Channel Power Amplifier

I cant speak to the hum issue. But I cant see how an AVP would be any worse than an AVR. It may well have been a situation unique to the products you tried.

Does this Emotiva do room correction on multi channel analogue ins? If so it might work for the original question on this thread.

I cant speak to the hum issue. But I cant see how an AVP would be any worse than an AVR. It may well have been a situation unique to the products you tried.
Quite possibly it was unique to the products I tried. But I'm reluctant to risk sinking a load of time and money into it again. Certainly if I bought pre power it would have to be products I could return for a refund if this happened.

Quite possibly it was unique to the products I tried. But I'm reluctant to risk sinking a load of time and money into it again. Certainly if I bought pre power it would have to be products I could return for a refund if this happened.
I understand. The problem is, I doubt that you will find anything new that can be returned if you don't like it that still has DPLII functionality. Quite a dilemma.

I'd be happy finding a new receiver that has 7.1 Analog Inputs - nevermind room correction!
Seems my Yamaha RX-a1030 is just now giving me fits playing back the recent Rhino surround BD's. My HDMI input cannot seem to play back in surround a 4.0 release, only in Stereo.

I've always been a Yamaha guy from my Stereo A700 Amp to RX-V870, RX-V1000, and now my Aventage 1030. My need for Multi-channel Analog Inputs is due to having a couple of older Denon Universal(pre-Blu-ray) players. My Denon DV-3910 does not play MC SACD through its ancient HDMI port, and my Denon DV-858 still does not have a new enough HDMI port to handle MC SACD. I also use these for DVD-A.

If I'm going to make a new purchase- it must have ATMOS, and Analog 7.1 inputs. For the last couple of years I swore off anything new out of the Denon and Marantz Camp, based on the quality and amounts of down time on my Network Streamer, but I may have to eat those words.

Nothing I can think of affording out of Denon has MC Analog inputs. Yamaha gave them up on the RX-A1050 series. I think the last of the Pioneer Elites was the SC-68 vintage, and now for Marantz- their new AVR series is the Cinema line- which no longer has MC Analog inputs. I can still find some of their last line of AVR's, but certainly not a fan of their looks either.

Chris

Looks like about every AVR with mch inputs is killer expensive (for me). In fact I've never owned anything with 7.1 analog in...I do have an old Sherwood with 5.1 in I use for my side surrounds.
If you don't/can't use HDMI these days and want Atmos, etc I don't know how you'd do it for any sort of reasonable price. Also if you want Dirac room correction.

I'll stick with my pc as playback machine for now, and I can rip SACD with my Oppo so don't really need to use the disc players. Foobar will play back DVDA/SACD .iso images and VLC and PowerDVD will bitstream so that's my solution to skip all the headaches. pc HDMI > AVR (for audio input mostly), RTX-3060 graphics card (Display Port) > 4K monitor. Audio Room TV is AVR > 1080p TV via 20 foot HDMI. In other words all HDMI/DP except the pre-outs I mentioned.

Even so, every Windows update seems to return all my sound settings to Stereo and I have to do the dance to reconfigure everything. Fortunately I'm used to it so it's just a minor aggravation.

Seems like most AVR's these days are made more for movie watchers than Audio, but try to be a little of both, or maybe something for everyone. I don't use Chromecast/Sonos/multi room/bluetooth on my AVR at all so useless to me. Atmos and Dirac are built into the AVR.

So, are there any comparable models that do? Or any at all, really, at any price point? Or would I need to step up to a dedicated processor from the likes of Trinnov to get such capability?
I do not know of any but, let me ask, why do you need this feature? It's disappearance from the market is indicative of a general lack of demand for it.

Exactly one of the reasons that the last three AVRs I bought were all used and from Craig's List. The year 2003 was the last time I bought a new AVR. And that one is still working. But I wanted more power and HDMI. So I got newer AVRs now that have HDMI and 7.1 analog inputs, plus 110 watts per chan, which feels about right.. I may never go to a new model. It just now seems like buying new AVRs is a train that has left the station for me.

Last edited:
Exactly one of the reasons that the last three AVRs I bought were all used and from Craig's List. The year 2003 was rthe last time I bought a new AVR. And that one is still working. But I wanted more power and HDMI. So I got newer AVRs now that have HDMI and 7.1 analog inputs, plus 110 watts per chan, which feels about right.. I may never go to a new model. It just now seems like buying new AVRs is a train that has left the station for me.
I have similar problems. But also I don't have the height in my rack to fit any HDMI input AVR, they've got huge since they went to several horizontal boards (space needed inside for air circulation). My AVR is the older style motherboard with vertical boards connected to it, this is much better for air circulation to release heat and results in an AVR that isn't enormous. My room isn't large so any re-arrangement to fit in a taller AVR will require a radical overhaul of everything else and I can't face the upheaval so I'm putting it off as long as possible.

I know many of you guys like your pretty little racks with your equipment displayed prominently, I once did as well with a dedicated Audio cabinet with a glass door and air circulated by several fans.
Nice displays of audio equipment looks good.
Nowadays the two AVR's are in a bedroom sitting on an old Oak heirloom dining table, stacked one upon the other.
May not be pretty and the room is crowded, but I don't want Audio that looks good, I just want audio that sounds good.

Ah yeah, the old audio cabinet is still full or mostly so, just the equipment is not hooked up since my wife is happy with the audio from the TV like it is. Less work for me, and I have a dedicated room for my in-use audio.

Mainly that many still want to use the 7.1 analog outs of their Oppos
I expected that but cannot accept it. Especially with the aging of the Oppos and the incorporation of newer electronics in modern AVRs, it is hard to justify.

Back