MOFI Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Just noticed that Mobile Fidelity is releasing several of The Band's LP's on SACD....Big Pink and Cahoots are out, Rock of Ages and Northern Hemisphere to follow. Alas, not in mulitchannel, but for a fan good news and shows SACD are still in someone's plans. :eek: But oi vay, the asking prices! John S.

Just noticed that Mobile Fidelity is releasing several of The Band's LP's on SACD....Big Pink and Cahoots are out, Rock of Ages and Northern Hemisphere to follow. Alas, not in mulitchannel, but for a fan good news and shows SACD are still in someone's plans. :eek: But oi vay, the asking prices! John S.

Yes, and again the new prices start at 1/2 the used price (for Big Pink anyway). I'll never figure this out!

And it kind of annoys me that all these releases essentially compete with the mult-channel versions. I sense a basic hostility to surround. Like an in your face invitation for us to F off.

Last edited:
To me, it's just a bad deal for MFSL not to go the extra mile and do a surround SACD. What a wasted opportunity. This is QQ, not SHF, and to me, these releases are a waste.

To me, it's just a bad deal for MFSL not to go the extra mile and do a surround SACD. What a wasted opportunity. This is QQ, not SHF, and to me, these releases are a waste.

Especially since some of what they released HAD a quad counterpart ie:
Blood Sweat & Tears and the Band's Big Pink.
I would have loved to hear the Marshall Crenshaw disc in surround.
It is stereo only but I got it anyway.
Excellent recording though.

MoFi... founded by Brad Miller, a great man who loved multi-channel
now only releases stereo.
I think he'd be pissed.

-B

Well, Mo Fi did issue the Cowboy Junkies album in Surround SACD. And that turned out well.

As for the newer titles, hard to say if the issue is getting a Surround license from the record label, finding suitable master tapes, cost of remixing, etc. Lot of questions.

I have two MoFi stereo releases and they never get played even though I like the music. Until they get they're act together and release in MCH I will not purchase another Mo Fi. That is about the only nice thing about being a MCH fan is the lack of music to buy hence more money for other things. Give to me in me surround or keep it.

...hard to say if the issue is getting a Surround license from the record label, finding suitable master tapes, cost of remixing, etc. Lot of questions.

I agree

I have no concept of what it costs to release older recordings in MC but I suspect even one of these factors, let alone all three, would be enough to discourage any re-issue label.

I agree

I have no concept of what it costs to release older recordings in MC but I suspect even one of these factors, let alone all three, would be enough to discourage any re-issue label.

The lowest cost approach is to do a multi-channel mix at the time of recording and mixing. To go back to the vaults and pull the tapes, bake them, etc. is very expensive. And isn't likely to occur unless the market potential is big enough to cover costs and make a profit.

Mr M is right! At this stage, ya better get the artist involved. But i know from experience, if one has the cash and desire, Sony had the digital storage mechanism in the late 90s, and of all the labels, are worth approaching for a multitude of old recordings. BUT---To remix, you probably need the artist(if it is a band=good luck) or family(more good luck). Maybe a few, very few artists Sony may still work with to this day. And they will be a total pain to even bother.
Go after alive artists who have it together. Ask and pray they have the rights!!! Wonder who owns the Miracles, the Manhattens, and the O'jays?

The lowest cost approach is to do a multi-channel mix at the time of recording and mixing. To go back to the vaults and pull the tapes, bake them, etc. is very expensive. And isn't likely to occur unless the market potential is big enough to cover costs and make a profit.

Came in the mail yesterday Paul Simon-There Goes Rhymin' Simon-HybridSACD. Still need to rip and listen.
R-26279441-1677771477-8525.jpg

Yep, that would be epic! I'm sure they will...don't you think?

I hope the Sammy Hagar era of Van Halen gets released on SACD. I personally prefer the Hagar era of the band.

Of course, I also want the Michael McDonald era of the Doobie Brothers on MoFi SACDs.

This is the current list of MOFI SACD Pre-Orders (Coming Soon).

Really hate the way MOFI operates with there pre order's taking forever.

https://mofi.com/collections/coming-soon/sacd

The email I released from Music Direct makes it sound like the release is imminent.

So no SACD of Whitney's debut album?

I am happy to see '80s music finally get their due on SACD. How about some George Michael? Duran Duran? Sting solo albums?

Back