MOFI Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listed as a Coming Soon on the MoFi site. Can’t recall if I’ve seen that one listed before.

Reminds me that I should buy the Greatest Hits.

Bill_Withers_StillBill_943ff661-b604-4c59-a16d-316df0fe9c7b_800x.jpg

yummy !
Blackwood - both his Greatest Hits and his Live album on MOFI are superb. I love Bills audience banter on the Live album

yummy !
Blackwood - both his Greatest Hits and his Live album on MOFI are superb. I love Bills audience banter on the Live album
I ordered Greatest Hits last night and then added Jefferson Airplane’s Surrealistic Pillow to bump me up to free shipping. Although I’m intentionally ignoring the fact that one disc plus shipping is cheaper than two discs with free shipping.

I ordered Greatest Hits last night and then added Jefferson Airplane’s Surrealistic Pillow to bump me up to free shipping. Although I’m intentionally ignoring the fact that one disc plus shipping is cheaper than two discs with free shipping.

remember - its an expensive hobby. but what you ordered will provide wonderful smile-on-return investment. :giggle:

I purchased many releases from MoFi back in the day.
First was their great vinyl remasters in the late 70s and early
1980s, then later the CD's and SACD's.
But I'll have nothing to do with the modern MoFi.
They attempted to enhance and continue the myth of vinyl
being the superior medium for sound quality, hiding the fact
they used a SACD step in master processing, much more.
They became just another snake-oil purveyor thru both their
products and their corporate story.. I'll treat them the same
way I treat the distributors of $10k power cords, and if you
know me, it's not a very nice one.

The email I released from Music Direct makes it sound like the release is imminent.

So no SACD of Whitney's debut album?

I am happy to see '80s music finally get their due on SACD. How about some George Michael? Duran Duran? Sting solo albums?
I wonder if the production on many mid-80's pop/rock albums - with all the electronic production (electric drums and all) and digital mastering - really benefits from an SACD? I was listening to the MOFI SACD of The Cars Heartbeat City last week, just after I'd played the new MOFI releases of There Goes Rhyming' Simon and From Elvis In Memphis. While the latter two vintage productions had superb fidelity and detail, cranked up to high volume, Heartbeat City really didn't sound pleasant at all, played at high volume. The treble was fatiguing to listen to on many of the songs - very similar to the CD. Heartbeat City is supposed to have a higher dynamic range on the SACD, than on the CD, but I really didn't hear any benefit. I have the original 1987 CD release of Whitney and I would suspect the MOFI SACD would sound pretty similar to my ears.

But I'd expect that the Sting solo albums would sound fantastic on SACD - those CDs are examples of how good an audiophile CD can sound.

Didn't Audio Fidelity used to release 2 SACD titles a month?

MoFi really should stop announcing upcoming titles months, if not years, in advance. I think my Van Halen SACD preorder is already over a year old.
I’m told (2 months ago, mind you) VH 1 & 2 are “hopefully” expected to be ready to ship toward the end of summer. 🙄

drats. did not see that. thanks Markie for pointing that out. looks like Ill have 30 clams to spend on something else
Sorry to put you on an emotional roller-coaster. There is an SACD version and I should have included that link originally. Go ahead and put Bill’s name on the 30 clams.

I’ll give myself a time-out in the corner of the forum to think about my actions and how they affect others. ;)

I’m told (2 months ago, mind you) VH 1 & 2 are “hopefully” expected to be ready to ship toward the end of summer. 🙄
I posted this in April in another thread:

“The story changes each time someone asks them, but “summer” and just Van Halen 1 was the last I heard when I talked to them. I could live with summer, but I had been expecting two at a time like the Eagles. Doesn’t mean they won’t double-up later, but I don’t want to wait over a year from the first one to get them all.”

I’m sure hoping your info from them is correct about 1 & 2 coming at the same time. I was deflated when they told me just VH 1.

Sorry to put you on an emotional roller-coaster. There is an SACD version and I should have included that link originally. Go ahead and put Bill’s name on the 30 clams.

I’ll give myself a time-out in the corner of the forum to think about my actions and how they affect others. ;)

young man, if it happens again we will be taking your keys to the QQ for a week

lol. Its all good Blackwood.

As far as I'm concerned, the 'mystique' of paying upwards of $30~35 for both MoFi and Analogue Production's STEREO SACDs to have a [hopefully] 'definitive' version of the album is becoming a moot point. And exacerbated by interminable wait times is further indicative that both reissue companies have always preferred vinyl over digital! No mystery there!

When companies like UK's D~V can offer two superbly remastered QUAD albums on a single SACD for US$16 from RCA/SONY and UMG and with Rhino's upcoming QUADIO reissues on BD~A in 192/24 resolution for $25, I've awakened to the reality that MoFi/AP are rip offs and when both reissue companies offer 'sales' all or most of their OWN SACDs are INELIGIBLE FOR FURTHER DISCOUNTS and if you don't qualify for their free s/h, further charges are imposed as well!

I'm hardly being cheap ... and yes, I own literally hundreds of both reissue companies STEREO [ONLY] SACDs and it's especially frustrating when we know the album in question has a QUADRAPHONIC counterpart!

Case in point: Would I rather pay $30 for an Alan Parsons Project STEREO SACD from MoFi or as I've been paying $15 for a remixed/remastered BD~A in 96/24 resolution for the same album which also contains a remastered Stereo track??????

We'll never really know if SONY Japan's announced...then canceled, QUAD SACD of BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATERS was 'quadblocked' by MoFi's then concurrent $125 One Step Vinyl pressing ... but I do have my suspicions!

In the final analysis, it's YOUR $$$$$$ and you can spend it as you see fit ...... but in these ultra inflationary times, I'd rather spend the $$$$ on either upgrading my equipment or actually spending WAY LESS on 4K upgrades in the video department!

Last edited:
Back