HiRez Poll Moloko - STATUES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moloko - STATUES

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

This one totally took me by surprise. I was looking for new surround-sound content and found this one from Amazon UK. I believe this title is only available as an import, which is a shame, because it is a brilliant recording.

I have never heard of the band Moloko but did recognize the name from "A Clockwork Orange". Any band whose name is influenced from my favorite novel can't be half-bad, I thought, so I decided to take a chance. Well, they're not half-bad or even an eighth-bad; they're all good!

The band plays some highly inventive and ambitious music that is extremely well written and performed. Moloko is my current favorite "new" discovery. I am in total awe of just how excellent the "Statues" album is. The music is a bit difficult to describe... it's your typical rock/pop outfit with a female lead singer, but their style is beyond description. A blending of rock, pop, ska, funk, fusion, new wave, disco, and more, but with an overriding theme of intelligence in blend, style, delivery and lyrics. I'm grasping here, since words cannot do them justice. You really have to experience the band.

As for the surround mix, it is exquisite, and fits the music perfectly. It is not overly aggressive but definitely doesn't leave you wanting for more. The surround mix is enveloping and inviting, drawing you into the wonderful music such that all else fades away and you are left with nothing but an exceptional musical experience that provides you with an incredible high from the first note to the last note. Without a doubt, “Statues” deserves a perfect 10.

http://www.moloko.co.uk

bump, Bump, BUMP!

Someone give this a shot and let us know what you think. I really cannot rave about this album enough!

(y) (y)

The 5.1 mix is bold but this fits the music well. Doesn't benefit from the hi-res treatment as much as some discs (wonder what quality it was recorded at) but definitely suits the 5.1 treatment. I am not the biggest Moloko fan but I do really like the music on this disc. Gave it an 8 :)

mandel said:
Doesn't benefit from the hi-res treatment as much as some discs (wonder what quality it was recorded at) but definitely suits the 5.1 treatment.
Good call. I agree that the hi-rez aspects of this disc are not fully realized. Not a high-end audiophile recording, to be sure. But then, that wasn't its aim... still, a fair critique.

Just listened to this one for the, um, guessing... fifth time? Feels like the first... exquisite.

Picked up a copy of this off of ebay thanks to forum member's heads up. This is eclectic, slightly funky electronica that really works in 5.1. The mix is a bit restrained given the nature of the material in my opinion. The soundstage is firmly rooted in the front speakers and while there is a lot going on in the rear speakers, I'd have liked to see a bit more. Still, I give this an 7-8. Well-worth picking up if you can find a copy.

9 for me...

This is awesome!!!. As Stormchaser says its sort of "eclectic electronic". There are bits of brass that pop up at times that you don't expect..

I couldn't quite give it a 10, the sonics - although by no means bad are not perfect....

This is on high rotation for me at the mo.....

8 votes now.....2 more....

I just gave it a 9.

Your vote will be the 10th so it can join the Hi-Rez Poll :)

So there's at least 10 copies of this SACD out there, in the hands of people who really want it..

..Rather than the "bookstores" on Amazon, etc charging the earth for the (no doubt) stacks of used bin & cut out copies of this that they have stockpiled that they are now hawking, which were unwanted and unsold back in the day.

What a crazy situation we're in with this SACD/DVDA business!

Makes me crazy to think of all the SACDs and DVD-A's that are languishing in warehouses thanks to people's overinflated asking prices, instead of being enjoyed by us surround fans.

At leat there's still the odd person on eBay who will just put things up with a low starting bid and see what they're really worth.

totally with you, LivingForever!

while I can accept that in the case of certain SACDs, fairly small numbers were pressed, I still doubt that all the new/sealed inventory of these things has depleted right down to nothing, as they still come up for sale brand new from these bookstore people online, so somebody has them, just not the likes of us who want to listen to them!!

there are of course a small number of exceptions, The Scorpions' Moment of Glory SACD must have been pressed in very low numbers.. still it doesn't deserve the £1,000+ prices it regularly goes for when it shows up on eBay.

Nah, it was opened, but in EX+ condition. Which is better for me, the less it's worth the more likely I am to play it!

Listening now. I like it. Clearer and less congested than the stereo CD, and although the mix is not doing spectacular things yet there are some neat panning effects at least.

I gave it a spin today ...one of the best band from the 90s and after...the Mix is fine for the dance music.

You should hear also the DVD 11000 Clicks ...very nice in 5.1 DTS.

Musically cool yes; I like it. The mix is good although from time-to-time they put stuff in the rears that is coming from the fronts as well; this weakens the surround field somewhat. But they don't ruin it; it is a good mix and sometimes even great.

Fidelity-wise vocals are great; the bass is wonderful. Drums and snares (likely electronic) seem compressed or limited on my system.

Another one with no comments from 2016!!

Her voice is sublime, the fidelity is reasonable, as is the mix.
I saw her at the IOW music festival a few years back, she has so much stage presence and can really project her captivating voice.
Even with the slightly muted surround treatment, I'm giving Roisin Murphy a 9

Back