Mono -> Surround (4.0, 5.1, 7.1.4 etc.) Upmixing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thanks to this thread I've just placed an order for the new improved 1953 WotW. And I will certainly be on the look out for the CBS color TV you mentioned. That is quite a good catch.

It's when they are looking through the captured Martian remote eye.

When the film was being made, it was the only color TV system available. The filmmakers thought it would be the standard.

actually what I means was the powered up electronic eye shows the woman's face in three separate red, blue , and green images, which was fairly unimaginative. I doubt the martians' tripartite eyes would have shown that. But color 'tv' was unknown that early so I get it.

The CBS color system produced separate red, green, and blue images.

Note that that device was a probe device, not an actual martian eye. but it was designed to feed three images to a martian eye.

They would have used a multiplexer to feed images sequentially to the CBS TV.

And there was nothing else available for the studio to play with in 1952 when they made the movie.
CBS color TV:

CBScolor.png

The tricolor TV picture tube had not been invented yet. RCA was using a set of color-selective mirrors and three TV cameras to separate the colors and a set of color-selective mirrors and three picture tubes to recombine the colors. I have a set of those camera mirrors. But no products were on the market yet.

RCAcolor.png

Last edited:
I upmixed a mono track to stereo which sounded ok. It was a the only mon track on a stereo album I wanted to upmix.

I used Izotope Ozone Imager to create a stereo stream which Penteo Pro 16 upmixed to quad. Both these programs can be purchased by anyone.

The trick was to get a stereo version of the mono file. Once you have a stereoized version then any upmixing technique would work.
Hey Garry,

Just got this Tomita Quad SACD in and the 8th (last) song on this is a 2 channel (front) Mono. I tried an Ultra Wide via Ozone and then Penteo 4.0 but gave me nothing in the rears. So if you don't mind, could you relay your technique for getting this into stereo form?

The only other weird thing I've tried is, doing a kind of EQ Front Vs. Rear crossover at about a 400hz fulcrum, lower range into the Fronts and higher range into the rears. Interesting results, but really no Cigar amigo!

Thanks
Pups!

TOMITA MONO SONG 8.jpg

Hi Jeff. I canā€™t remember exactly what I did but I do remember using Izotope to create stereo from mono first. There are a few options to get the stereo so experiment with that first. I created the stereo file then Izotope and Penteo to get quad. The trick is to create the ā€˜bestā€™ stereo version first.

Lots of izotope plugns. I'm assuming the specific one being discussed here is the latest version of Ozone Imager, which has two mono to stereo modes.

h**ps://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone-imager.html

h**ps://www.izotope.com/en/products/downloads/ozone_imager2

However I think music source separation would be a better place to start (for mono remix to stereo or more).

The CBS color system produced separate red, green, and blue images.

Note that that device was a probe device, not an actual martian eye. but it was designed to feed three images to a martian eye.

I'm not sure that would make sense. The Martians see the world in color with their single tripartite eye and we see it with our red/green/blue cones in each eye. All that we require of a camera is that it transmit the visible spectrum, our eyes do the color analyzing. I would guess Martian eyes do the same.

But hey it's sci fi, no one says it has to be scientifically bulletproof.

Just wondering if anyone has tried upmixing (mono) Edison Cylinders, since these are the original direct cut records (possibly apply click/pop reduction prior to upmixing)?

Kirk Bayne

Back