Monster Music High Definition Surround Sound CD SUPERDISC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bming

Since 2002/2003
Just got an email from Amazon about Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company". Looks like it is in DTS. It is advertised as a CD playable on a DVD player. Can anyone enlighten me on this. :confused:

Well, it says in the description on Amazon.com:

Tech Notes
• Superdiscs are not DVD Audio discs, they are compatible with any DVD player.
• Surround audio encoded in Dolby Digital(448kbps) and DTS 96/24 (1.5Mbps)
• Digital Music Files: WMA (192Kbps), AAC (320Kbps)

So, there you have it: no lossless multichannel!
All the specified formats are lossy codecs (although the Headphone Surround would have been interesting for my iPod).

They don't say if they also have a lossless stereo track. They could put an uncompressed 96/24 PCM stereo track on a normal DVD-Video, but who knows... they also write:

SuperDisc plays music in High Defnition Surround™ (HDS™) and works with any DVD player. Every SuperDisc recording has been carefully remixed and remastered to bring out the best performance possible from today’s home theater and car stereo systems. You’ll hear more clarity, punch, dynamics and vocal presence than the regular CD. SuperDisc also includes high definition digital music files. Encoded directly from the master recordings at the highest resolution possible these digital music files will sound better than if you "ripped" the music from the CD yourself.

So I guess that means that they already claim to have High Definition in their lossy crap because they are not encoded from a CD but from a higher resolution master? What a load of bull!!! :mad:

No reason to replace my SACD of this title...

Oliver

Just got an email from Amazon about Ray Charles "Genius Loves Company". Looks like it is in DTS. It is advertised as a CD playable on a DVD player. Can anyone enlighten me on this. :confused:

JB HI FI in Melb.
Had the 3 Doors Down Monster Disc
in there stores last Year
But no other releases
Ron

I wonder how they get away with using the "HDS" and "High Definition Surround" labeling on their discs since these are terms Brad Miller and the Mobile Fidelity label used as trademarks years ago for their DTS Music Disc series!

Did they buy it from Miller's estate?

I wonder how they get away with using the "HDS" and "High Definition Surround" labeling on their discs since these are terms Brad Miller and the Mobile Fidelity label used as trademarks years ago for their DTS Music Disc series!

I don't know really but it could be that the term isn't anything more than just generic. You can't trademark surround or high definition so I doubt if you could trademark the combination. If Mobile Fidelity tried to make it their trademark, they may have decided it won't hold up in a court challenge. It doesn't mean anything anyway.

Chris

I wondered that myself, Brian. The logo is very similar to the original.

I wondered that myself, Brian. The logo is very similar to the original.

I can't see how that matters. DirecTV tried to trademark DBS, Direct Broadcast Satellite, it didn't fly in the courts. Coca-Cola couldn't hold on to Cola as a protected trademark, it didn't matter how they styled it. I can't get trademark protection for the word Red to describe the color of my special knickers. Generic words with already accepted meanings can't be protected and products that can be made available by various companies have the rights to use such words. Anybody can offer surround discs for sale, the use of surround can't be prevented or protected or fees charged for its use. I can't imagine High Definition Surround, a non-specific meaningless term, can be protected.

Chris

I guess it all comes down to who has the best lawyer. If your name is "Fred McDonald", try and open a restaraunt and call it "McDonalds"! :D

Interesting that both companies claim "High Definition Surround" as a Registered Trade Mark! :eek:

Attachments

• hds.jpg
    hds.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 293
  • sd_hds.gif
    sd_hds.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 271
Interesting that both companies claim "High Definition Surround" as a Registered Trade Mark! :eek:

Maybe they have registered their individual HDS logos which are different and perhaps can be protected, but there is no way they can register High Definition Surround and have that held up in court.

High Definition and digital are two terms companies like to use now, but don't amount to anything meaningful.

Chris

Ok, so I've bitched and moaned about these SuperDiscs before.

But I have to revise my harsh verdict from before: I got such a SuperDisc as a present (Al Jarreau and Geoge Benson: Givin' It Up) and what can I say: the DTS96/24 mixes (there are two of them) sound pretty darn good, despite using a lossy compression.

I will certainly play this dics more often, but I still think they could have done one bit better by using DVD-Audio...

Best regards,
Oliver

Havent managed to find an ebayer willing to send '3 Doors Down' across the pond yet :(

~M~

Back