Quad LP/Tape Poll Montenegro, Hugo: Hugo in Wonder-Land [CD4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the quad release of Hugo Montenegro - Hugo in Wonderland

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA APD1-0413, from 1974.

Side 1:

Living For the City
Too High
Superstition
You Are the Sunshine of My Life
My Cherie Amour

Side 2:

Higher Ground
Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing
Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Do-Da-Day
You've Got it Bad, Girl
All in Love is Fair

ED :)

This is the album that made me a Montenegro fan. I picked it up at a flea market for $5.00, not expecting anything more than easy listening versions of Stevie Wonder songs. I thought I might play it once. Was I wrong! With an all-star band of session musicians (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Larry Carlton, Tom Scott), plus previously unknown to me but amazing synth player Larry Muhoberac, plus Hugo's imaginative arrangements ("Superstition" is particularly re-imagined), this album is a first class winner in my book.

J. D.

This was my intro to quad. Found a reel of it at an outdoor flea market. I had heard Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing on a compilation tape and played it over and over. Great playing, great mix.

Montenegro was never a high profile bandleader/arranger/musician, but the "Jeannie" theme put him on the map, and he was always putting out albums--on (at the least) Time and Mainstream (both the same company, owned by Bob Shad). When he got to RCA he seemed to become more creative, coming up with a series of interesting albums now highly regarded as 'bachelor pad' music, even if I can't imagine trying to seduce a lady with this stuff playing in the background...:rolleyes: It's lightweight stuff but in quad, a lot of fun to hear and certainly very well mixed and recorded.

ED :)

This is the album that made me a Montenegro fan. I picked it up at a flea market for $5.00, not expecting anything more than easy listening versions of Stevie Wonder songs. I thought I might play it once. Was I wrong! With an all-star band of session musicians (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Larry Carlton, Tom Scott), plus previously unknown to me but amazing synth player Larry Muhoberac, plus Hugo's imaginative arrangements ("Superstition" is particularly re-imagined), this album is a first class winner in my book.

J. D.

Agreed. Hugo Montenegro was very passionate about Surround Sound. He did a lot of research before releasing his first Quad album on Quad Reel, Q8 & CD-4 Disc: Love Theme from the Godfather.
It was a real trailblazing example of what could be done in Surround. No surprise that he was the first person to be called "The Quadfather".

This is an excellent Quad album - along with his Quad recordings of Neil's Diamonds and Scenes & Themes, among others. All are must haves for Surround Sound fans !

I vote 9. Very good mix and music. Just not quite as good as Godfather and Niels diamonds.

Back