HiRez Poll Moody Blues - A QUESTION OF BALANCE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moody Blues - A QUESTION OF BALANCE

• Total voters
On my system if I turn off all speakers except center I can hear this weak, pathetic music signal that was created for the sacd's center channel.
Just to clarify, I can't turn off my front left or front right. But I do have those 2 speakers on a separate amp so I can turn the volume down to zero.

This is also the case with my rears. They are on a separate amp as well and the center is on another separate amp. So it's pretty easy for me to leave all speakers on in the speaker configuration menu and then just turn down the fronts and rears to zero so that I can only hear the center. Sorry... wasn't clear about this before.

Just to clarify, I can't turn off my front left or front right. But I do have those 2 speakers on a separate amp so I can turn the volume down to zero.

This is also the case with my rears. They are on a separate amp as well and the center is on another separate amp. So it's pretty easy for me to leave all speakers on in the speaker configuration menu and then just turn down the fronts and rears to zero so that I can only hear the center. Sorry... wasn't clear about this before.

I got it. I have amps built into each of my loudspeakers. So, it's a simple flick of two switches (really four, if I'm counting the rear channels) for me. I will test shortly. :)

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic.

Maaaan! Sorry, I didn't believe you. I Just remember the first time I purchased these discs and read they were mastered in 5.1, I got really excited, only to be disappointed there was only 4 channels of sound. Well, anyway, they were not lying about the 5.0 part. LOL

btw, if there's the .1, I never did hear it.

if there's the .1, I never did hear it.
The .1 is there. Turn your speakers down to zero and crank the sub. It's about as anemic as the center. But I'm really enjoying this disc in 4.0 mode. Maybe it depends on the player and how it handles these type of settings.

On The Threshold of a Dream is the same as Question. The center there is somewhat louder than the center of Question but still no where near the level of the fronts and rears.

When I play these Moodies I do the same as I do with 4.0. I run the fronts through my Surround Master and make my own center. This way I can futx with it myself.

Ok., so I'm not great at looking for and finding what I'm looking for online,,, but I did manage to stumble across a pretty clean Moody Blues Question Of Balance in discrete Quad and open reel, at the much preferred 7.5 IPS on ee-pay tonight.

I wondered if I was bidding against anyone here, or perhaps buying it from anyone here, the seller had a lot of quad items for sale.

Well, I won the auction and it'll be coming when it comes.

So, my question is:
Does anyone have that same version who loves it or hates it, and can compare it to the SACD QUAD version for separation, fidelity and any other gripes or praise???

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have that same version who loves it or hates it, and can compare it to the SACD QUAD version for separation, fidelity and any other gripes or praise???

You will find a difference between the two. Although the SACD offers a high resolution version of the Quad tapes repurposed into 5.1, the use of NR and sometimes wonky EQ choices may put a damper on the overall listening experience. Your tape will be hissier but the trade-off should be a warmer playback. Let's wish the tape you've acquired will be in good condition without too many drop-outs.

Back