DVD/DTS Poll Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Moody Blues - DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED

• Total voters
Their premiere recording in the genre they have become known for. I always considered their music as being more intelligent than most rock music... rock for people with brains. As for the mix, they did right by the orchestra, but putting some of the vocals in the rear channels is gimmicky, at best. Still, it's a joy to listen to and the sonics are terrific.

I'm not a huge fan of the Moody Blues, but I really enjoyed this disk.

Lots of vocals in the rear. Some don't seem to like that kind of thing, but I certainly don't mind it.

I give it a solid 7.

More natural sounding than the recent SACD reissue, and a personal fave in spite of certain missing overdubs...a '9' here.

ED :)

I have this disc and I was surprised that I even found it. The original multitrack recordings were 4 track, right? So,I wasn't expecting any big effects or fun. (Fun = The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips where in one song a snare hit starts front-left and in mid snap switches to the rear-right)

Oh yeah, why was the only use of the center channel the bass guitar? Come on! Not a great job.

I thought it was good but I don't think it was recorded well in the first place. I thought they did a good job with Tommy and that wasn't recorded well either so who knows?

Last edited:
This mix was originally for the quadraphonic release in the 70's. I have this disc as well, and there is no center channel action in it at all. The mix is 4.1. Remember how old the recording is, and what it was mixed for, and the disappointment vanishes.

The DTS discs released that were taken from Quad masters either had a mild contrived center channel, or nothing going on at all. Either way, hardly noticable.

The DTS discs released that were taken from Quad masters either had a mild contrived center channel, or nothing going on at all. Either way, hardly noticable.

But at least the DTS discs had a viable LFE channel. I could do without the center channel if it's more faithful to the original mix, but UMG could have created a good .1 for the SACD's.
It would have been easier to do than to create a center channel where one doesn't exist.

Nice old school quad mix and worth the money.

Why cant more original quad mixes be rleased.

To the album, a strong album containing the ubiquitious Nights in White satin, plenty of lush 60's orchestration. good fun strong 8

Music - 8/10 (Very Good)
5.1 Fidelity - 5/10 (Average)
5.1 Mix - 8/10 (Very Good)

Positives:
+ Extremely active/aggressive surround sound mix
+ Excellent use of surrounds for key instruments/vocals (e.g., flute, spoken vocals)
+ Revolutionary fusion of pop/rock/classical considering the year of release
+ Mix reveals elements of the music that used to be drowned out in stereo versions

Negatives:
- Age of recording certainly shows here (lacking in clarity and harshness in climatic pieces)
- Lacking in strong dynamics considering the classical/progressive nature of the music (compression/age/both?)
- Somewhat “gimmicky” or unrealistic mix at times (e.g., Justin Hayward’s vocals coming out of
the front and then the back during the same song)

OVERALL - 7/10 (Good)
(Submitted rating in poll)

This disc has very good fidelity compared to my "remastered" red book CD, but also sounds better than the Moody SACDs in that the high end sounds a little clearer/crisper. The mix is excellent (I'm a fan of aggressive quad-type mixes), with the orchestral sections really benefiting the most from the surround. The music is classic; the kind of album you sit down to on a grey afternoon and drift off... I love it. Probably deserves an 8, but I give it a 9 because I can.

This disc has very good fidelity compared to my "remastered" red book CD, but also sounds better than the Moody SACDs in that the high end sounds a little clearer/crisper. The mix is excellent (I'm a fan of aggressive quad-type mixes), with the orchestral sections really benefiting the most from the surround. The music is classic; the kind of album you sit down to on a grey afternoon and drift off... I love it. Probably deserves an 8, but I give it a 9 because I can.

I think they both sound great. The idea was also to release DOFP as an SQ LP, but I don't think that mix would have been good for SQ. Too much center-back information that would have cancelled out when played in mono, or if the record were played on an FM station and listened to on a mono radio. The Moody Blues' music is a different breed of rock music; as I call it, rock for people with brains.

One of the reasons for getting a separate DTS decoder back in the late 1990s was for when this came out. Instruments lost in the stereo mix really shine through. Never too impressed with the SACD releases or the other DTS Entertainment release Seventh Sojourn. Worth finding a second hand copy (biased opinion from a Moodies fan)

Back