BluRay Music Video Poll Moody Blues - LOVELY TO SEE YOU [HD-DVD/Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray of the Moody Blues - LOVELY TO SEE YOU

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Attachments

• moody front.jpg
    moody front.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 642
  • moody back.jpg
    moody back.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 652
Just got this for Xmas - thanks Santa! Great playing and excellent live surround mix - more than just ambience in the rears- Justin Hayward holds up quite well under the lights of HD - the band which is augmented by an additional drummer and a female flautist/vocal/guitarist is more than competent and renders the songs here faithfully. Never the flashiest of live bands, I have seen them live twice - once back in 1970 during the "Questions" tour and then again at Radio City for the "Other Side Of Life" tour - both times they were saddled with keyboard problems - a noisy, out of tune mellotron in '70 and Patrick Moraz in the early '90's - no such problems on this recording - and all the better for it - the Dolby True HD sound is quite good and next to the NIN HD DVD the best one I own - not quite a 9 but easily an 8.

The concerts I've seen since Patrick Moraz jumped (or was pushed) have been fairly free of any technical/sound issues (except that depending on venue, the sound has sometimes been a bit too loud, even in the midway spots I tend to choose). The current backup is very competent, though I still miss Ray's flute embellishments (very few of those since Norda has joined, except for the occasional "Are You Sleeping Comfortably")and Mr. Pinder's keyboard work (what's done now is far more elaborate, but lacks the uniqueness of Pinder). The band does play a fairly obvious set with the usual signature tunes in the usual order, and this performance, though edited for video, stays pretty much faithful to the average Moodies set list.

I don't have this edition as yet, but the DVD edition was pretty good, lively and active surround mix, which cannot, regrettably, be said for most other Moodies concert vids in circulation.

ED :)

Got a Panny 55 player about 3 weeks ago and this was the first disc, (blu-ray version).

Picture and audio was a big step up from the standard dvd, although there is some of the band mixed in the rear speakers, it's mostly a 3 channel presentation.

Enjoyed the show and setlist,(wish John would sing more of his earlier songs like Justin). Graeme coming out to sing "Higher and Higher" was fun, and Justin and John rocked out on it too.

Really miss Ray's contribution, here's hoping the Albert Hall show gets a blu-ray release.

Bob

This is the first Blu-ray concert I bought so I'm still a bit new to just the wow factor of seeing things on HD. Over all it's enjoyable, music was most of their hits, I wish Never Comes the Day was included. The video was clean and not overlit. The sound did come mostly from the front and when it did come from the rear speakers it seemed misplaced, the flute happened a few times coming in from the rears. And like everyone I wish Thomas and Pinder would join in for a reunion tour.

Well, Pinder has moved on, and Thomas is no longer physically capable. Those doing their jobs now are competent enough, but the 'magic' of the old band rests on Hayward & Lodge's shoulders, and since they remain enthusiastic about their music, the concerts are still highly enjoyable (if by now fairly predictable).

Sad but true. But on the bright side I got my tickets for their concert next Tuesday so I'll let you know how it was.

Please do! Should be a solid (and often louder than one would expect) performance, with all the 'usual suspects' played (usually in a fairly set order since Ray left). And even when a new album's been issued, you might get a few new songs but on the main, the big faves are those typically played. The Moodies know their audience well, what it wants, and while a few songs you'd like to hear will inevitably miss the cut, everything from "Nights" to the overblown '80s puffery will be heard. Along a tour some variations turn up--you might hear "The Actor" at one show, replaced by something else the next--but I've rarely heard anyone complain.

The unusual songs they are doing are Peak Hour, Driftwood, Higher and Higher, Are You Sitting Comfortably, The Day We Meet Again, Talking Out of Turn, Gypsy.

"Higher & Higher" was one of Mr. Edge's showpieces in concert some years back, with him capering around on stage and having a great ol' time. "Are You Sitting" has also been used here and there, with Norda Mullen doing Ray's old parts and doing them very nicely. Don't think I've ever seen them do "Peak Hour" live, but it is an interesting choice.

Well I survived 3 days in A-dam,

Amsterdam is a great town and I recommend it over alot the famous cities people talk about visiting.

Now the concert. OK, I'm stating the obvious here but yes they've gotten older and they did show signs of fatigue, Graeme Edge especially. This was the end of the European leg of the tour. Over a dozen different cities in less than a month. Norda Mullen, Julie Ragins, Gordon Marshall and Alan Hewitt did more than just play. They added some extra energy to the concert. Gordon deserves some extra kudos. Graeme made a few jokes about his age when he got up to do "Higher and Higher". "I'm 69 now so I've lived through the 60's twice. Sadly I can't remember much about either time." The performance was solid. Not flashy nor spectacular. It wasn't perfect it had it's flaws but one thing did shine through. They still love to perform and wanted to be on the stage! This isn't a have to money tour for them.

A few surprises. The didn't play "Actor", "Forever Autumn" or "Lovely to See You Again". I tried to make a bet for a beer with an Australian couple that sat next to us that they would start off with Lovely. Fortunately for me they didn't take it. They played some I didn't think they would. "Peak Hour", "Driftwood" and "Watching and Waiting". The best moments of the evening was when Norda put down her flute and picked up a harmonica when they played "Never Comes the Day". Graeme did the "Lamentation" before "Nights". And "Question" turned into an 8,000 person sing along, which is always fun.

Good seats, good people and good music made for a great evening. I'd see them again in a heartbeat!

Although I do have HD DVD, I own this title on Blu Ray with DTS Master 7;1. Woo hop what a sonic ride! Bass is amazing (have four Deftech BP2001SC's plus two stand alone Hsu's for six subs ;). Plus the res is amazing! Question will blow you away. ( plus just installed two buttkickers- like bass:). BTW was gonna divest of the HD DVD's. Have about forty with cool titles (Matrix trilogy, unopened Bladerunner plus more unopened. Also like New Toshiba. If interested get in touch). ;).

Back