HiRez Poll Moody Blues - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Moody Blues - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the SACD release of this classic Moody Blues album, currently only available in the UK. (y) :phones (n)

If you feel so inclined, please let us know where you got yours and approximatly what you paid - to use as a reference for other members.

THANKS!

I ordered mine from Elusive Disc ($129.99 for the set), and all 5 showed up today (Friday April14). Haven't listened, but here are the scans:

Attachments

• MB T F.jpg
    MB T F.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 649
  • MB T B.jpg
    MB T B.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 644
Just listened to this one. I have to compare this to the reel (which I have at 24/96 on my music PC), but my first impression was that it did not sound as "full" as the reel does. On first listen, it seems to be "bright" and a bit over NR'd. However, I am going to withold judgement until I can listen loud and without distraction.

My SACD player (DENON 3910) stopped at track 13! I would guess that means that the bonus tracks are only on the redbook layer. Will investigate further, but on first impression - don't eBay your reels! :eek:

JonUrban said:
Just listened to this one. I have to compare this to the reel (which I have at 24/96 on my music PC), but my first impression was that it did not sound as "full" as the reel does. On first listen, it seems to be "bright" and a bit over NR'd. However, I am going to withold judgement until I can listen loud and without distraction.

My SACD player (DENON 3910) stopped at track 13! I would guess that means that the bonus tracks are only on the redbook layer. Will investigate further, but on first impression - don't eBay your reels! :eek:

Must be a glitch it your particular disc. Mine is fine all the way through in glorious SACD Stereo! All bonus tracks in SACD :) that alone is worth the price of admission folks. BTW I also have the Denon 3910.

I highly recommend purchasing them at Chad Kasem's Acoustic Sounds site:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/

I see on Acoustic Sounds that all of these are Multichannel. I was under the assumption that one of them was not. Which is correct??

jmrosen said:
Must be a glitch it your particular disc. Mine is fine all the way through in glorious SACD Stereo! All bonus tracks in SACD :) that alone is worth the price of admission folks. BTW I also have the Denon 3910.

Maybe it's because I was playing the 5.1 layer. I'll have to try the stereo tracks, although I usually don't! :D

Bob Romano said:
I see on Acoustic Sounds that all of these are Multichannel. I was under the assumption that one of them was not. Which is correct??

"In Search of the Lost Chord" is STEREO ONLY!

jmrosen said:

Cheaper getting them from amazon.co.uk and they'll arrive in just 3 or 4 days. Quicker, safer and more convenient than UPS ground. Anyway I played the bonus tracks in a non-SACD player assuming they weren't on the SACD layer. I'll have to play them again ... if I can ever get the Depeche Mode Play The Angel SACD out of the machine that is.

JonUrban said:
Maybe it's because I was playing the 5.1 layer. I'll have to try the stereo tracks, although I usually don't! :D

As far as I can tell, the SACDs only have 5.1 for the original album material. You have to play the stereo layer to get the bonus SACD tracks. For the 2-disc sets, I don't think any of the bonus discs are anything other than redbook--not even 2-channel SACD.

Same comments that I gave for QOB apply here - love the music always have. The mix is OK and enhances the listening experience a little but does not reveal anything new. The extras are nice but I don't like having to switch between default layers on player to access everything - no big deal though, I'm still very happy with it overall - I give it a "9"

I got this one in the mail today and just got done listening to it. Great, a 10. I got mine from CD universe for $16.85 + 2.99 for shipping. I am still waiting on the other 2 i ordered. I am very happy with the quality, and it sounds like they used thr origonal QUAD mix, which makes me very happy also.:banana:

I got mine Saturday from Amazon UK.
Basically 10 pounds each plus shipping.

Jon, I have a 5910 and the same thing happened on Threshold.
I switched to stereo and the bonus tracks played fine.

For me, Lost Chord loses nothing from being stereo only.
Great record.

Personally, I love these discs and couldn't be more satisfied.

JonUrban said:

Jon,

Are you using the 3910 internal bass management for SACDs? If so, then DSD is converted to PCM and the sound will change. Usually with an increase in treble output making most recordings sound "bright".

HiRes_PR said:
Jon,

Are you using the 3910 internal bass management for SACDs? If so, then DSD is converted to PCM and the sound will change. Usually with an increase in treble output making most recordings sound "bright".

THat's a good point, and to answer: I'm not sure! :eek:
I'll have to look at the setup again. Actually, I was going to redo the auto setup on the 4806 and see if that made a difference.

JonUrban said:
THat's a good point, and to answer: I'm not sure! :eek:
I'll have to look at the setup again. Actually, I was going to redo the auto setup on the 4806 and see if that made a difference.

How's your connection? Analog 6CH or the digital link to the Denon receiver? Anyways, Bass management in the receiver or the dvd player is PCM based.

HiRes_PR said:
How's your connection? Analog 6CH or the digital link to the Denon receiver? Anyways, Bass management in the receiver or the dvd player is PCM based.

It's through the Denon Link III.

JonUrban said:
It's through the Denon Link III.

If you set speakers to small at the Denon receiver, then you have DSD to PCM conversion.

One of the things I've experience with the DSD to PCM conversion is the analog like warmth lost. Something you hear in DSD native form. Some SACD players, even high end ones, do this conversion. But it seems that the degree of success doing this varies considerably.

That's the reason I kept the Bass Management in analog domain (M&K Mini Bass Controller or Outlaw ICBM) and even avoid Time Alignment. My Sony ES SCD-C2000ES player changes DSD to PCM if any of the above is used and ended up with a overly bright/shrill sound. It has an advantage because it opens up the soundstage (depth) a lot more but at the expense of tonality.

My initial impression is that things are a tad bright and squeaky clean, but then, I've spent the past 30 years listening to a Q8, which has inherent hiss and not up to the standards of vinyl or reel, so it's hard to knock this edition, and I suppose it's nearly miraculous that we have it at all!

It is nice to hear again...the longer "Lovely To See You," the extended '2001 sound' at the end of "So Deep Within You" and the sheer bombast and impressiveness of "The Voyage"...:sun Of all the Quad 8's I had back in the day, the Moodies got the most play.

A few other things:

I find it regrettable this is a one-disc package. I guess the band and label didn't think there was enough for two, but it's a pity the US single edit of "Never Comes The Day"(never reissued, AFAIK)and the clean intro version of "Lovely To See You"(most recently on the GOLD comp)aren't here.

Curiously, while I was able to burn all the 2-CD sets for my van, neither this one or QOB will even start up in my PC CD-R burner. Strange...

ED :)

Another great quad Moodies recording that falls short due to too much noise reduction and a questionable transfer and/or "mix". Sonically, it is better than DOFP but still sounds hamstrung. A tragedy, really.

Ed mentioned that this one sounds a bit bright. I agree. I think there is a definite high-frequency boost to try and compensate for the heavy-handed noise reduction. This tactic never works. It just makes it sound doubly bad.

Despite my complaints, the disc still sounds decent. Shoulda been a 9, but we get a 7. Thanks... I guess. :(

Back